What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you favorite trimming shears?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Well I won't be heating up the scissors and inhaling, that is silly. But quite seriously, yes I could be smoking anything that comes off them. That's kind of the point.

I don't drink tap water.

I don't imagine either of us is qualified to know how much fluorine is in the coating. It should be in the steel. I have no idea why there is a coating on them. So I'm not prepared to quantify the danger. Only to say that it's poison, and deadly poison at that.

If your actually privy to the quantities involved please share this. No wishful thinking though. These are not food grade items. I'm not interested in pretending it's fine. No more than eating teflon.

LostTribe

Premium user
My favorite trimming shears are the ones my buddy uses really any for that matter as long as I don't have to pick them up.

Carple Tunnel is a biatch.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Mine haven't rusted yet. Cut a lot better than the fiskars in my experience. If these go bad I will probably try the Chikamasa brand or the OLFA SCS-4 that member prune mentioned next.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Well I won't be heating up the scissors and inhaling, that is silly. But quite seriously, yes I could be smoking anything that comes off them. That's kind of the point.

I don't drink tap water.

I don't imagine either of us is qualified to know how much fluorine is in the coating. It should be in the steel. I have no idea why there is a coating on them. So I'm not prepared to quantify the danger. Only to say that it's poison, and deadly poison at that.

If your actually privy to the quantities involved please share this. No wishful thinking though. These are not food grade items. I'm not interested in pretending it's fine. No more than eating teflon.
You are worried about the non stick coating coming off your scissors and sticking to the buds and you smoking them? Teflon doesn't do that unless it's under high heat. Don't heat your scissors before cutting your plants and there is no issue. Would you eat food cooked in a teflon pan? Cause that's teflon, under heat and last time I checked nobody is dying from that unless they are a bird.
The primary hazard associated with these polymers is the inhalation of fumes from overheating orburning Heating PTFE above 300 degrees C may liberate a fine particulate fume
https://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_safety_data_sheets/ptfe-safety-data-sheet.pdf

hayday

Veteran
I like the ti coated fiskers that have been the go to forever but I stumbled across these when I was out of town. They are twice the size of my regular trimming Fiskars but have a serated knife edge on one side and a reasonably sharp straight blade on the other. I don't know how useful they are yet but they fit my big hands well enough and cut 1/4" stems easy enough.
I'm bringing them to the trim party in a few day and give them a run.

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 35

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wahl Standard Hair Grooming Scissors
Fleabay cheap as chips a quid last time I ordered :tiphat:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Darlac DP120 Softies Scissors

Defo my fav all around by far and ive bought allsorts, sharpest things around, nice fine cut and will also cut hefty stems if youre feeling lazy or cant find your hefty shears.. super comfy and light so much less strain.. love em 10/10 for general gardening scissors for me.

ganjourno

Chikamasa plain stainless (no coating). To clean instantly, rub a little olive oil on the blade then quickly pass a lighter over both edges of the blade and wipe clean on a paper towel. Perfectly clean again.

I don’t trim my own anymore but if I did, spring-loaded scissors are not the way to go since they are too fatiguing over time.

F

Frylock

Chikamasa plain stainless (no coating). To clean instantly, rub a little olive oil on the blade then quickly pass a lighter over both edges of the blade and wipe clean on a paper towel. Perfectly clean again.

I don’t trim my own anymore but if I did, spring-loaded scissors are not the way to go since they are too fatiguing over time.

I think that's one reason the little fiskars are good, because the spring hardly takes any pressure at all to close.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I like to have a pair of cuticle snips, I dunno I've used them for years along with regular snips. I bought a pair at dollar tree Ive been using. I'm gonna need some fiskars im harvesting now!!! Maybe get a pair before outdoor harvest

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
There are several good choices out there, and it's just a matter of preference.

I go with the Fiskars, but that's just because they're easy for me to find in this one horse town...and I like them..
I usually take the little orange closure lock off of them too..(the ones in the pic still all have them on)

I may try those curved Japanese ones, when I get around to ordering them..

I prefer the open handle trimmers and I like the spring.
For me the spring gives me less hand fatigue.

But I only saw one or two posts here mention something that I think is the most important..
If you're gonna be trimming more than an ounce at a time, I highly recommend having at least two, or preferably three pair of trimmers when you sit down..
I hate using gummed up scissors, I like a clean pair about every 5 or 10 minutes...
Often I want clean ones after 4 or 5 buds...

I have 3 pair on hand when I sit down..And a juice glass that will hold 2 or 3 pair without tipping over..
I fill the juice glass with 91% ISO, deep enough to submerge the blades.
And a roll of paper towels on the bench to wipe them off.

If I'm trimming a pound of weed, that last thing I'm worried about is saving a tiny amount of scissor hash...
I hate trimming and just wanna be done with it..

Oh, notice the SS water bottle at the top of picture? gotta keep yourself hydrated!
Don't forget to drink water when you work!

Here's a picture of my trimming bench last year...

Attachments

• trimming bench.jpg
    trimming bench.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 26

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Large sewing scssors for heavy bulk work at harvest time and small fiskars to clean up after bowl trimming. I don't have time to fuck around with manicuring for a shelf.

Pinetar

I like rear pivot nippers style. Gingher made in Italy stainless steel very comfortable in hand. They clean up well stay sharp forever, and have never broken a spring. I find them in fabric stores.

Pinetar

Gingher scissors

Gingher scissors

I prefer rear pivot spring loaded. Gingher made in italy. Very comfortable in hand, clean up easy, and stay sharp forever. Never have broken a spring. I find them in fabric stores

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen

I go with the Fiskars, but that's just because they're easy for me to find in this one horse town...and I like them..
I usually take the little orange closure lock off of them too..(the ones in the pic still all have them on)

But I only saw one or two posts here mention something that I think is the most important..
If you're gonna be trimming more than an ounce at a time, I highly recommend having at least two, or preferably three pair of trimmers when you sit down..
I hate using gummed up scissors, I like a clean pair about every 5 or 10 minutes...

I have 3 pair on hand when I sit down..And a juice glass that will hold 2 or 3 pair without tipping over..

If I'm trimming a pound of weed, that last thing I'm worried about is saving a tiny amount of scissor hash...

Oh, notice the SS water bottle at the top of picture? gotta keep yourself hydrated!

Good tip on taking the closure locks off. Those things always pop back up when I'm trimming and are a pain in the ass. One actually broke on me before cause of it.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Right on Bud!
I hate trimming with a passion,,,
I Won’t do it so leave that to the females,,s2:tiphat: