What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Repuk 3d Take on Stealth Grow: Garden Shed

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Girls are on week 6th to 7th. Krystallicas look lush green, and getting covered in trichs; Kalichakra and BtB are slower, and turned to a pale yellow, will post pics tomorrow.

Been thinking, won't deploy the COBs as there's no space to leave proper distance (a COB would require 30-40cm (12/16") to the canopy, whereas there's barely 30cm (12") from the top of the colas to the tent top. I already "cooked" them when used my HML at 20cm/8" which is one third of the power of the COBs.

Is maximum and actual power from each LED chip which dictates required distance to canopy, my HML has 10W LED chips. COB are 100W run at 35-40W each.

After seeing Terpene and Blynx success with E27 LED bulbs, I ordered 6 Philips 11W LED bulbs and E27 sockets plus some WAGO 5 cable connectors.

Impressive thread, that happens to showcase the kind of genetics I'm into.

Not sure about the exact LED chips specs on these 11W bulbs, guessing they are probably 3W each (not run at their maximum power), so 20cm/8" would be on the safe side, 15cm/6" pushing a little with regards to canopy distance I think.

Plan is to use the wires to hang E27 sockets, which will allow to hang and position the LED bulb directly on top of those colas in need (allowing 6" from canopy): for Kalichakra and BtB #2 for example. A plus: less wiring required, as each heatsink on each COB will require 12V wiring for the fans in addition to the COB driver wiring.

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I built a LED bulb "octopus" using WAGO terminal blocks:

I happened to have WAGO terminal blocks for three and five cables, I love them! they're safe, robust, and incredibly convenient, available at amazon.

I used two 5 cables (222-415) and four 3 cables ones (222-413) as didn't want any of them to have a free cable slot (purchased 6 bulbs).

For those having to purchase the WAGO terminal blocks, a 7 bulb octopus can be built using 4x 5 cable WAGOs (no need to purchase the 3 cable ones).

WAGO are of great application here, as it allows me to hang a given socket on any spot, and easily disconnect (UNPLUGGED FROM MAINS!) it from the WAGO block, route the cables, then reconnect, no tools required.

Assembly

0.- Get familiar with WAGO terminals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfN_wwkujQ

1.- Decide on main "cord" lenth (I used 2 meters) and each "leg" length, I used one meter. so I cut pieces of 2-wire power cable:

- 6x 1 meter (bulb leg)
- 1x 2 meter (main cord)
- 2x 15cm (wago interconnection)

2.- Strip off only 10mm / 0.4 inches of each wire end, there shouldn't be any exposed bare wire anywhere (see product video at step 0).

3.- Then follow the Wiring Diagram:

Attachments

• IMG_3912r.jpg
    IMG_3912r.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 6xLED_Octopus.jpg
    6xLED_Octopus.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
For those not wanting to purchase two different kinds of WAGO connectors, and build the a 7x Octopus using only 4x 5-way WAGOs (222-415) and 7 LED bulbs:

Attachments

• 7xLED_Octopus.jpg
    7xLED_Octopus.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 32

Bona Fortuna

This is brilliant!
Specs on the shed? I may have missed it if you explained previously.
The first post looks like it's a metal shed.
All in all, impressive.
Keep it up!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thanks for passing by, Bona Fortuna!

Shed specs are on the first post :)

Truth is I'm very happy with the outcome, slowly dialing everything in.

Next step will be deploying the raspberry with mycodo as "shed controller", wanted to manually dial everything first.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
@Bona Fortuna:
Yes, is metal sheet, thin as a can of coke I'm afraid...

Are you looking to setup something similar?

@ChaosCatalunya: me neither, was a recent find :) will never use anything else from now on! they're like 49cents each for the 5 cable, and 29 cents the 3 cable purchasing the 40 and 50 units boxes from Amazon.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
7th Week

Picture of the ladies (no LED bulbs yet):

Will make some budding shots soon.

Kalichakra (bottom left) and Beyond the Brain #2 (bottom center) are the slowest flowering of the bunch, but got lots of pale yellow fan leaves, not discernible in the picture.

BB #1 (middle right) suddenly became faster this last week, budsites already started swelling and are almost as developed as the Krystalicas.

Krystalicas are mostly green, though they're kind of "consuming" their fan leaves also, to a lesser extent.

Krystalica #1 (front left) started showing purple on top leaves, also has a distinct, noticeable aroma like strawberry cream.

Krystalica #2 (center middle) looks like will (hopefully!) become pheno C, main stem is less filled up than the others. #2 and #3 (front right) smell is sort of herbal/ chemical citrusy.

Ice Cool is below the circulating fan, really small plant, but got better in overall health and bud development on lastest two weeks, almost reaching the less developed Krystalicas.

I don't recall kalichakra consuming itself so fast, EC it's been around 1.4EC...

BtB and Kalichakra are starting to swell their buds, not sure if the yellowing is a defficiency, the consequence of being very close to the HPS (couple inches) or normal...

BLUMATS
Got the blumats dialed in to my taste finally.

I find the following procedure to be the most safe and reliable with coco:

1.- Water the pots until they barely drip runoff.
2.- Adjust the blumat so that it drips once per minute
3.- back it of 1/8 turn
4.- Monitor the girls 2 hours later, there's runoff?

Slight runoff is good, soaking the floor is not, as it isn't an absolutely dry floor either.

With this procedure you'll fall on the dry side posibly; if so, open the blumat 1/8 of turn.

If floor is soaking wet, close it 1/4 of turn. Recheck for runoff in two hours...

Attachments

• _MG_3840.jpg
    _MG_3840.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Bona Fortuna

@Bona Fortuna:
Yes, is metal sheet, thin as a can of coke I'm afraid...

Are you looking to setup something similar?

@ChaosCatalunya: me neither, was a recent find :) will never use anything else from now on! they're like 49cents each for the 5 cable, and 29 cents the 3 cable purchasing the 40 and 50 units boxes from Amazon.

I'm setting up a wooden frame shed. First indoor grow after a life of outdoor growing.
I've really been wracking my brain to figure out how you are dealing with insulation issues.
I can't wait to see some ace sativas in your area.
Go figure, I was planning on growing zamaldelica and destroyer in my first runs. Haha

Best of luck!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I'm setting up a wooden frame shed. First indoor grow after a life of outdoor growing.
I've really been wracking my brain to figure out how you are dealing with insulation issues.
I can't wait to see some ace sativas in your area.
Go figure, I was planning on growing zamaldelica and destroyer in my first runs. Haha

Best of luck!

That's something I have thought afterwards, it would have been cheaper and customized for its duty :biggrin: but in the end I liked the "off the shelf" look.

Given the (high) temps here, I even considered building one using "sandwich panels", those are built using aluminum to sandwich an insulation hard foam, really similar to how ambulances, camper vans, etc are insulated.

I'm afraid once May comes I will need to resort to using just LEDs, lowering the HPS power, and possibly adding CO2 to compensate.

Problem is I don't have space to put any kind of insulation, thought on putting poliestyrene lining the shed walls, but I don't have space... I think given you're building it from scratch accomplishing a good insulation is at least possible, and easier.

If I were in your shoes, I would use either readily available construction insulation materials, or maybe do some searching on scrapyards for suitable panels for cheap.

I'm also willing for spring to come... just need to decide on which strains I'm gonna run outdoors, never grew with the great HPS! Thinking on going for a wild sativa as size won't be a problem, only preferable trait will be being as low in odour as possible!

Bona Fortuna

I like the idea of sandwich plating, but would that be enough? I feel like summer would turn the shed into a solar oven.
It doesn't sound like you plan to indoor during summer though.

I've ran an idea around a few buddies.
Hempcrete insulation (READILY available ingredients and decent insulation) and a dug out 10- 55 gallon water container acting as a bubbler and passive water chiller/purifier on intake side. Sketchy though, humidity would be troublesome.

Ace seems to be a very good answer to your outdoor situation, granted you have the environment for it.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I would like to keep growing on summer, but with 45C at shadows I am afraid it will be difficult unless the shed is insulated and some kind of active cooling (AC) is used no matter how well insulated is.

In your case another option could be creating the sandwich yourself by using double walls, leaving a good thickness of free space between them to spray insulation foam inside.

A good example of a well insulated space are ambulances, those are the preferred to salvage for campervan projects. If you can have a look at one on a scrapyard, you'll notice instantly temps inside are noticeably lower; the technique employed is really similar.

Regarding passive cooling, a water based one sounds nice, problem will be humidity as you pointed out as at some stage you need to let water to be in contact with air; using active cooling could simplify this considerably.

Bona Fortuna

I would like to keep growing on summer, but with 45C at shadows I am afraid it will be difficult unless the shed is insulated and some kind of active cooling (AC) is used no matter how well insulated is.

In your case another option could be creating the sandwich yourself by using double walls, leaving a good thickness of free space between them to spray insulation foam inside.

A good example of a well insulated space are ambulances, those are the preferred to salvage for campervan projects. If you can have a look at one on a scrapyard, you'll notice instantly temps inside are noticeably lower; the technique employed is really similar.

Regarding passive cooling, a water based one sounds nice, problem will be humidity as you pointed out as at some stage you need to let water to be in contact with air; using active cooling could simplify this considerably.

45c?! That's pretty damn hot! I can see how summer growing would be difficult.

I remember having being in a camper when I was younger. It WAS rather comfortable ever with out ac.
I don't think I was ever in 45c kind of weather with it. Even in California.

The water bubbler idea came from looking at a bong for about 5 minutes. Similar concept. I was planning on using that as an energy free way of geothermal cooling during summer, possibly emptied in winter with an incandescent put inside as a air warmer.

That's still just a concept. I haven't tried this yet.

Hahahaa, you don't seem sold on the hempcrete.
The only down side is allowing to dry and any possible off gassing.
It really is much cheaper than normal insulation. Double wall is a must in mine.

Currently, I have frame, layer of osb, layer of siding.
Insulation is going to happen come late springtime.

How are your babies?
Do you have your LED setup in?

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I'm sure some strains from Mandala Seeds or ACE will thrive in summer weather here :)

Water cooling seems interesting, key point being how to implement it without losing control of RH.

Is stealth important in your case?

Regarding hemcrete :biggrin: I just don't have direct experience with it; after some reading it looks to be a really good insulation material, so why not... only drawback as you say, may be deploying it. But with some thinking and specific measures to let it cure properly I think it will be a success.

Babies are going fine :) next week is going to be rather busy, but I'll post bud shots of each girl on next one. Cannot wait to have some smoke of my own!

I haven't deployed the LED bulbs, because some (Kalichakra and BB) don't look quite right to me, thought maybe someone will chime in regarding that. Taking into account I'm already at 58 watts per sq feet I wanted to see how this week develop (tuned nutes) before adding another variable to the mix.

In fact I considered lowering the HPS power to 275W and adding 66W worth of LED bulbs, I'm "feeling" them in the meanwhile to try to make an informed decision but didn't make up my mind yet...

Bona Fortuna

Perhaps the light is a tad close to some of the tops. Your hood looks like it may have a hot spot towards the middle.
I'd be interested in seeing your led setup, may be more effective at spreading the light around.

Stealth is, possibly, the least of my worries. Cooling is top priority, then comes adequate ducting and lighting.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Bona Fortuna said:
Perhaps the light is a tad close to some of the tops. Your hood looks like it may have a hot spot towards the middle.
I'd be interested in seeing your led setup, may be more effective at spreading the light around.

Which one? COBs or LED bulbs?

Bona Fortuna said:
Stealth is, possibly, the least of my worries. Cooling is top priority, then comes adequate ducting and lighting.

I assume you don't want to use a regular AC unit, maybe a portable one?

Otherwise a possibility would be using something scavenged as a "radiator" to circulate the cooling water, and blow air using fans on it to cool the water. E.g. the cooling circuit grid of a fridge, or a car radiator comes to mind.

Regarding the LEDs, as they hang from wires they would be vertical.

I had the same main cola "problem" on my first grow ever (600W HPS), the colas were an inch or two from the hood (cooltube). Got a 1gpw harvest of superb material from the Kalichakras without problems...

I don't think I'll have the time to prop the LED bulbs next week, but will possibly try it on the following one.

This are the microcuts, which are gaining traction slowly. They were took at the second flowering week, which means they needed more time, but... monster cropping next run with everything dialed in! I'll also give some away.

They have been almost a week after repotting under 55W PLL, added a second one today as I felt they had already stablished (110W)

Attachments

• IMG_3915r.jpg
    IMG_3915r.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 27