What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TEC ACE OD 2016

The English Cut

Hello fellow ACE appreciators. For some time I've been meaning to start a thread for all the different ACE stuff I've got on the go outdoors but with one thing or another I've not had the time, but if I wait till I've got time it'll never happen so here goes, don't expect much in the way of commentary and things will probably be in a fairly sporadic and random order but i'll do my best.

Everything is full outdoors (except the pink panama which I've got in the polytunnel) in soil with natural amendments/manure from our own organically reared animals. Most plants are in no-till holes that have been in use for between 1 and 4 years with just top-dressing.

It's been a very bad year for mold, the combination of a mild winter last year and wet weather all summer has led to unprecedented levels of pm and a cold wet september hasn't helped much, loads more budrot than I'm used to seeing even here where it's notoriously damp. Quite a few plants have been culled, even in mid flower (nothing by dubi though!). So, if I'm going to take anything positive away from this, it's that it's been a good year for selecting weatherproof genetics!

Anyway, here're the first pics, this is a Malawi x Panama, a really great plant, surprisingly fast, probably could be bigger if I'd fed her more (she's sharing a hole with a Panama x Malawi) but still over 6ft tall and nearly as wide. Smells just awesome, lime/citrus dominant, very frosty and fat colas filling out nicely, I really, really like this plant a lot, thanks dubi!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

The English Cut

Another Malawi x Panama

Another Malawi x Panama

Here's the other Malawi x Panama, she's in a different spot, more hours of sun but not great soil. This one was sharing a hole with one of the Bubba Kush x Erdpurts so didn't get a great start. Not as fast into flower as the other one, and more of a deeper forest fruity aroma.

picture.php
picture.php

Hasta mañana!
Peace, TEC.

B

Baron Greenback

Settles down in anticipaation of gloriousness :)
Always great value your reports/grows English, looking forward to this.
A friend's MalawixPanama is barely passed the dozen pistils in a clump stage of flowering, interesting yours is so far ahead. We had glorious weather (well, too hot for me and zero rain, not a good Summer for the English :)) and still have, so hopefully she'll not need to retreat into a polytunnel just yet.

The English Cut

Hey Greenback, thanks for the kind words, I know I'm doing something right when the first person to comment on my thread is exiled nobility!

I'm hoping the Malawi x Panama will be a bit resistant to budrot, they had a bit of pm trouble mid-veg but shook it off with the help of some cinnamon smelling stuff. The way this season is going I'll need some kind of miracle to finish a plant without some kind of loss to mould. I'm seeing a lot of budrot starting at the top of the flowers where the pistils have died and started to rot. There's been some pretty extreme variation in conditions, 40º heat one day and wet and cold the next, I think that's got a lot to do with it anyway.

B

Baron Greenback

(Polishes monocle and instructs Jeeves to make further tea :))
Are your MalawixPanama in the ground or can they be re-located into your polytunnel? I seem to recall some excellent results there last year as well as the compost heating genius.
Is there any sort of shelter you can erect to keep the worst of it off?

The English Cut

Pink Panama

Pink Panama

Here's today's installment of plant pics...

First up is the lovely pink Panama in the polytunnel. It's a clone, the mother is flowering at a friend's house, it's south facing so I want to see the difference in the end result. This one is about 4 weeks into flower, just beautiful :biggrin:

picture.php
picture.php

This plant has been hosting a female paying mantis for the last couple of weeks. She's been pumping out pheromones and attracting males by the dozen, then mating and laying loads of eggs. Presumable eating the mates too but i haven't seen that. Great to know that next year there will be predators on hand from the word go.
picture.php

The English Cut

Fast Panama

Fast Panama

Another Panama, the fastest and frostiest of all three. Sharing a hole with one of my pollen chucks and not quite being swamped by it!

She's on the left of this photo, the plant on the right is Dansk Diesel x PCK.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

The English Cut

Orient Express x Nepal Jam

Orient Express x Nepal Jam

One of the new hybrids dubi sent me, Orient Express x Nepal Jam. This is from seed, I have a clone from it at a different spot and it might as well be a different plant, this one has suffered a lot, it's not bad soil here but it drains really quickly and gets a lot of sun, so drought can be a problem. The cutting at the other spot is really lush and Indica-looking - better soil and irrigation. I'll have to get some pics next time I'm there.

This has to be some of the strangest (nice) smelling weed ever, like thai cooking, with peanuts and lemon. I'm interested to taste it, especially as I've been really enjoying some Nep jam and Orient Express from last years outdoor recently, amazing what a long cure has done for the flavour, I suppose I'll just have to be prepared to wait to get the best out of this stuff! I'll probably chop her this evening as a storm is forecast and I've already had to cut out a bit of botrytis. Very interesting hybrid indeed...

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

The English Cut

Violeta x PCK

Violeta x PCK

I hit my mum of Violeta with pollen from a couple of PCK males last year, popped a few just to see what happened, a couple of males and this female. Completely trouble free so far, not long to go but still popping out white pistils. Really very rock hard buds, so it may be ok in the storm but that's probably just wishful thinking!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

She looks amazing and smells sooooo fruity and citric, just like the mother does. Ok I'm going to get back to trimming for a while now, till the next time, peace, TEC.

The English Cut

(Polishes monocle and instructs Jeeves to make further tea :))
Are your MalawixPanama in the ground or can they be re-located into your polytunnel? I seem to recall some excellent results there last year as well as the compost heating genius.
Is there any sort of shelter you can erect to keep the worst of it off?

lol
jolly good then...
They're in the ground in a couple of different spots. I've got a feeling that the Malawi x Panamas will finish ok outdoors but the Panama x Malawis are a bit behind so far. I'still holding out for a warm dry october, stranger things have happened! My experience with hastily built shelter is that it tends to get blown down in the first storm and does more damage to the plants than good!

B

Baron Greenback

Those colours are absolutely wonderful, so vibrant - spectacular looking flowers, looking forward to seeing how they finish off.

The English Cut

Orient Express x Nepal Jam clone

Orient Express x Nepal Jam clone

I nipped over to the other grow site just before sundown for a botrytis spot check and grabbed a couple of photos, The OE x NJ clone is in the middle of the pic, sharing a 30gal smartpot with two Rotten Panda clones, a bit cramped but I put them all in very late and didn't expect so much growth:
picture.php
picture.php

The English Cut

Another Panama

Another Panama

Here's the last of the three panamas, this one was the bushiest seedling with the best structure, lots of branches, wider leaves and initially the one that had me all excited, I'm no less enthusiastic now, just hoping she has some good botrytis resistance to finish up nicely. This bush is about 8ft tall and 7ft wide :biggrin:

picture.php
picture.php

Should be a great yielder!

The English Cut

And here's my selected Back To The Congo plant. I started out with three females but two of them were so susceptible to mould that they had to go. Hard to believe these were bred in a swamp! One had a ridiculous outbreak of pm and then a massive budrot attack while the second one was completely unaffected by pm but the buds were so dense that they were all full of botrytis before i noticed. I managed to save a little bit but most buds ended up like this:

picture.php

excuse the sideways pic, why does that happen? such a pita. I'm keeping the mother of this one to give it a go indoors, it could be really fast and productive if humidity was under control, and obviously it smells great too.

This one below however suffered no powdery mildew and only a touch of botrytis which is very good in a bad season like this one, so she's the one for me. Smells really similar to the Panama DC i ran last year so I guess that's the Deep Chunk in her. Just waiting for the buds to fill out a bit, luckily it looks like we have a week of unshitty weather coming, fingers crossed! Peace, TEC.
picture.php

gorilla ganja

Some great looking plants TEC. Shame about the mold, hopefully you have some nice weather to finish these up.

Peace GG

Holeshot

Very nice outdoor line up there English. The violeta is a stunner. These Ace strains truely shine outdoors in the sun.

akirabull

beautiful bushes english cut,botrytis is usually not an alone problem, check for root trips. i have had same problem with a panama . i don't think both case are due to a poor resistance but consequence of health- pest problem , overwatering ,root rot or low level of oxygen in the pot. visual inspection with a good know about pre synthoms can help a lot . yellow spots , leaves with no vigor and smell changing are what you can notice before mold start to build, require an immediate harvest especially if you cant control temp and humidity.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Hi TEC

Nice to see your stuff coming along :)

I reckon my PanMal and MalPan are around a week behind you, probably all Latitude, Photoperiod, they are also outside and getting spots of PM showing up... it is in the environment here... I have had great success with Peroxide washes... it just dissolves it off, does not cure you need to carry on, but you can definitely keep it at bay.

So, with the PM under control, the caterpillars will then show up ;)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi English Cut :thank you:

Thank you very much for sharing some of the results from your outdoor season. Your cold and wet climate is a big challenge for strains that finish in October, a very valuable test for mold resistance and overall outdoor testing of new hybrids.

Fast flowering hybrids like ErdPurt hybrids, PCK hybrids and Nepal Jam hybrids are probably the most suitable genetics from our catalog in your climate, i'm glad Panama and the Malawi/Panama hybrids also worked fine there! Deep Chunk and its hybrids are very sensible against powder mildew and botrytis, they work best in dry continental climates.

I'm also interested to know how the Tikal, Bangi Haze and other hybrids you made past year turned out this season! Wish you have had a bountiful harvest of high quality flowers ;) Best regards friend.

Latest posts

Latest posts