What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can a 25,000 btu window ac.........

castout

Veteran
be turned into portable ac, by having intake and outake? I have done this before with a smaller ac..18,000 btu's....but have never had success with the bigger ac's. I need to know what size inline fan and venting to use? How much air needs to be moved from the back of the unit? Is this possible with such a large ac, doe I need larger venting? I currently have the 25,000 btu hooked up to 6 inch fan and venting, and the compressor will not stay on for more than 20 minutes....temps are soaring, and so is my blood pressure, trying to figure this out!!!! Please help me out with this one....thanks so uch. Stay HIGH, it's better than being low!!!!!!!

Str8Dank

How do you have the rear sealed up? If you have it sealed air tight and that's causing the compressor to shut off I'd create a pressure release and let a little of that hot air escape until the problem is solved. May not be the most efficient way but I'd think 10-20% heat escape while you get 100% air conditioning would be better then no air conditioning.

If that works then double up your exhaust and seal the hole. I'm not hvac guy nor have I done this, this is just what I would try if I was in your shoes and no one had a confirmed correct solution.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
it sure can...this is one you can buy...

[YOUTUBEIF]_JOhOJVnjQ4[/YOUTUBEIF]

but it should give you some ideas for what to do to your unit

P

Puddin'tane

I was just pondering something similar..I just needa figger out how to get it outside without 50' of flex showin inside..

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
castout, what size fan did you upgrade to?

I've got a 24k btu unit I want to do the same thing with. I've got a 6" inline fan, but I know thats not big enough.

Could you explain a bit more?

castout

Veteran
Sam, upgrade to a 10 inch fan, and 10 inch venting, and it works like a charm....look up the thread diy window ac made into portable ac, and just use the 10 inch stuff.........good luck, and have fun!!!!

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Where do you get the air to blow through there.

I can intake/blow air to the attic or the window. Was thinking of intake from the attic and out through the window. This way when it rains, I won't be sucking in rain drops from the window. I just need to make some kind of light proof window piece for it and make sure its quiet enough so it doesn't sound like a jet coming out the window from outside.

castout

Veteran
Sam, go to the DIY thread, and there is one about converting a window ac to a portable ac. We pull air from the lights, with the fan, then send it through the carbon filter, then dump the air into the attic and out the eaves venting. Just get insulated venting, and be careful cause all the venting out there, even insulated, will light leak. I use the nashua tape and cover the insulated venting, and have even boxed out the venting, to prevent light leaks.

castout

Veteran
Sam, that is how we vent the lights, and for our temps, we build the ac, if the rooms get too hot. You have to make sure you are intaking enough air for air exchange, and we get ours from the window, and with a 10 inch fan, and ducting. Go to the DIY thread, and see how to convert a window ac to a portable ac.......your ac will never hang out of a window again!!!