What's new

seed germination question

M

meowski916

(question mark button doesnt work)
Hey all I have this seed that I think i germinated a little too long. about 4 days. It popped out of its shell entirely.. it split in 2. it had a white spot with a whitish yellow brown bulb at the end. Will it still work. I threw it in some top soil anyways to see what happens.:laughing:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
And there's the reward in germinating outside the grow medium. If you can't grow in it, don't germ in it. Had you germinated in soil, rockwool, rooters, pellets etc, you'd have a plant by now instead of a hyper stretched root in search of a home.

Hope your girl makes it. Break a stem.

schtoop

i have been searching these posts for days. i have just finnished a areoponic grow cab but i cant seem to find a way to start seeds for areo.im thinking rockwool but how would i ever get them tender roots out?can u use rockwool in net pot or will it fall apart and cause pump trouble? was also thinking perlight in beer cups.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
While I don't recommend it, rockwool can be removed if you're very, very careful. Seeds can be started in solid media and cloned media free, clones can then be placed in aero. Rockwool in hydroton is a classic method, works great. Just restrict rockwool to 1" stater cubes. Larger cubes work but, rather defeat the point of DWC.

Somewhere here, there's a thread for starting seeds outside of media. It was a Styrofoam sheet (very thin, 1/8th inch?) with many tiny holes, just large enough for seeds to rest in but, not fall through. Sheet was placed in a tub of water where it floated, allowing seeds direct contact with water. I don't believe it was covered with wet paper. May have used a dome, probably was misted. Anyway, as seeds sprouted, they were removed (I think he had to break the sheet to do this) and placed in the aero chamber.

White Tee

Im about to stick 5 Fast Nevilles in from Female Seeds tonight, will be my first time popping a seed, so wish me luck!

Im planting them directly in to seed & cutting compost (westlands) in 8cm pots after reading some stuff on here-

http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

One thing i am still unsure of though is where to put them...

My grower friend is advising them to keep them in a dark cupboard upstairs until they sprout , and then move them to my cab...

... yet on the Mandala site, they say...

- "For best results we recommend HPS lamps from the start. A 70-150W HPS lamp does not use more electricity than standard CFL lamps but provides much more lumens (light intensity). If you are growing with 250-600W HPS then you should germinate or put your seedlings under the lamp as soon as possible to ensure quick and vigorous growth."

-and-

-"Provide sufficient light. Seedlings require sufficient light (this applies to the strength and length of daylight or artificial light) and fresh air to grow. Switch on your lamp(s) as soon as the first seedlings appear at the latest. Seedlings should be moved directly under a HPS lamp if you have one. The more light your provide the better your plants can grow"

... I have a 250w hps with 3 feet of headroom from the bulb. So what do u think? In the dark first and then under the HPS, or germ them directly under the HPS, and if so, how far away should i start the bulb?

thanks in advance

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I germ under a 250 regularly. I'd start about 12" away. Not because the light is too intense, (these things are expecting the sun, a 1000 watt lamp is a broken penlight compared to what they're looking for) but because the radiant heat could dry out the media in a small container.

White Tee

...just to let you know i already have 4 seedlings out of my 5 beans

Im happy with that for my first go at popping.

As a noob, stickin em in dirt gets my vote

M

meowski916

long due update... stuck her in some dirt and perlite. it came up looking for light :) waiting on better weather to begin my outdoor this year.

Latest posts

Latest posts