What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quick ways to masks smells

Str8Dank

Well with a newborn here I've got lots of guests coming over and a few short visits I need 110% proof smell masking abilities. Now I run a can 100 in each room that's over 180 pounds of carbon combined AND one is brand new I just replaced a older one last week.

after rush pointed out a post by grow master indicating that if you wash your carbon filter with cold water and let it dry that it will be as good as new I did this to my old can 100 and it's nice and dry now so it will be running in the main part of my basement between the two flower rooms where the moms are at but I've not set it up yet. Even still after being gone a few days I got a light diff in my living room thanks to some crappy duct work that is in one flower room and the vents lead to my living room and leak bad enough i can see light through the vents. I'm going to work on sealing those up nice and tight but i want even more precaution. I also own a cap ozone Jr that I can run upstairs as well.

I'm looking for creative ways to mask the smell, one friend had a brilliant idea to burn a bag of popcorn right before the visitors come laughing about my forgetfulness with a new baby and all and the popcorn smell will cover damn near anything and even if it does not it justifies the over use of air fresheners. Oh btw I have two automatic air freshener units set on 9 minute intervals also, I'm kind of overboard lol. Both need the cans replaced which could be part of the reason I got a light whiff.

Anyone have any other ideas of smells that are great at masking that would not be suspicious? That ozoium of however it's spelled that the grow stores and head shops sell works great but it's so strong and odd smelling it's too suspicious IMO since it smells like you dumped 5 regular cans of air freshener. I may run a gel one in front of my filter exhaust in the room with bad ducting just for the day and one in the main part of the basement. When I'm done that day it will smell like someone burned a bag of popcorn inside a Yankee candle store probably lol.

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Couple sticks of burning incense should be more than enough if the smell is not that strong in there. I like Cherry, Musk, Sandalwood, stronger smells

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Make breakfast or BLT's and cook lots of bacon and let it really get crispy you will smell it all day and probably all night :tiphat:

Over cooked bacon is a very strong smell it's hard to smell anything else at all. ;)

O

OrganicOzarks

You answered your own question. You have a new born. New born;s produce nasty stinky shit. You house should be smelling like baby powder, and baby shit. Put the Diaper Genie in the living room, and leave the lid open. Problem solved. :)

Str8Dank

One problem with bacon is we don't eat red meat or pork so it would have to be turkey bacon which isn't nearly as strong since it has like zero grease and her parents obviously know our diets we've both ate like this for years. Food is a little bit of a issue since her mom wants to cook a few meals for us to have on hand so her daughter does not have to cook for a few days and so we don't live off take out while we get settled. Oh well he'll maybe I'll fry up some pork bacon and throw it away afterwards then fry some turkey bacon and leave it out as breakfast leftovers.

Str8Dank

Good call zarks but the house smelling like shit is kinda nasty lmao worst case though I'll pull that out as a last resort.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those plug in little oil bottle air freshners are always good just get the tropical scent ones or anything with high notes as it masks Cannabis very well. Just put one in each room and put the little dial on high, there is nothing strange about them alot of people keep them in the house to mask general odors and women seem to love the aroma too although personally they make me sneeze my ass off but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do :bigeye:

There was a time many years ago I had alot of people in and out of my place with a nice sized grow in the back room with no carbon scrubbers or anything just a door basically and it was a super stinky strain too. Without the warm oil air fresheners plugged in the house would reek of skunky ass ganja but with them plugged in along the entrance way by the front door and one in each room you could not detect the Cannabis smell at all it fully masked it. :canabis:

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Ever try Ez-Twist Vaportek Disc's? Make sure you get the "Classic Neutral" scent which will remove any smells from the air, the other scents just attempt to mask the smell where as the classic neutral attacks the smells in the air.

But it in behind the last door from your grow to your house, or in the corner of a room / area people hang out in. The first idea will most likely block all smells in the first place.

There is an online vender, johnson inc or something that sells all their stuff.

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Farts all day long? :D
Ok more seriously brew a lot of strong coffee when you got visitors!

Peace

=K

eyes

Veteran
negative air pressure in the room your growin willl keep all the smells out of the house. cooking something like bacon or onions and garlic will help to cover as well. I like to keep the fan at half speed and keep it on 24/7.

carbon is only good for 90 percent of the smell. try an inline ozone genny for the other 10 percent or so. have plenty of duct for it to mix in. too fast a velocity through a short run of duct wont work as well. If you are entering the room without negative pressure,then the smell will sneak out when the door is open.keep that fan and filter running 24/7.

I havent heard of washing the carbon to reactive but reactivation through a specially purposed vessel thats 1500 f or so that reactivates the carbon again. some people get 6 months, others a yr out of a filter. im skeptical when people say they get 3 yrs out of a mt air. i actually have one and will chime in on how long it lasts.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Make breakfast or BLT's and cook lots of bacon and let it really get crispy you will smell it all day and probably all night :tiphat:

Over cooked bacon is a very strong smell it's hard to smell anything else at all. ;)

I was going to say this. Also ONA works good to take out any post carbon filter smells that may remain in my experience.

praisehim.

Veteran
easy. Fry onions before they come over. it works everytime. most people actually like it and get hungry.lol.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah the ona gel in the small containers works great . i buy one every month when i harvest & trim in my room ... even the wife says she can't smell it anymore using the ona-gel

H

h^2 O

as Homer (Simpson) might say..."turn on music, or turn it up louder." Because sound masks smell, ya see?

Yeah burned popcorn, do one or two a day, really charred but watch for fires. Musky incense. Rotten egg smell...sulfur. So maybe light a big thing of matches in a bucket. Works in the shitter. Just one match though. OR you could find sulfur somehow...and like burn it. Put one of those housewife marketed scent things...you like open it up and it releases nice smells 24/7. Put it right by the vent.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Ozone generator

Ozone generator

Ozone generator..
I have one that is about 3 years old, runs almost continually. Smells clorineish... can be run on a timer and almost silent (2.5"ish computer fan and light bulb (ozone)).

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/cap-ozn1-ozone-generator-up-to-5500-sq-ft-p-632.html

I paid $84 for mine 3 years ago ^^^ $111.00 shop around maybe cheaper somewhere else. I exhaust into my garage and run it in there.. can be used to control mold.. I think too much ozone is not good but this one, unless you put into a small closet and hang out in there, wont reach negative levels in reasonably large areas.

Since you and your wife don't eat red meat, just keep a strong batch of coffee on. Make sure to keep used grounds at all times in the trash, this should smell as strong as bacon, and less wierd then cooking bacon all the time! Also where you said you had a vent pumping into the living room, trying loosely stuffing with strong smelling drier sheets for luandry. If you have time give the place once over with a dusting and spray(wich smell will linger for a couple days). Now your place will smell so clean and so fresh!
Good luck!