What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Humidifying a small closet or tent on a timer.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I need a small quality humidifier for a small closet for tropical plants.
Grabbed a small $15 unit from Walmart it lasted less than 12 hours. Stopped putting out cool mist and Then water started leaking out of power jack. That can't be safe. Lol
But before it stopped working, the main problem was that it won't work on a timer.
When the timer restores power, the humidifier must be powered manually by the button on the front.

It needs to be as small of a footprint as possible, but large enough for the tank to last a day.

Any ideas? I wrote to a few sellers on some sites but of course they are in china so they have absolutely no idea what I'm trying to ask.
Thanks
:tiphat:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Off the top of my head, I don't know of any retail products, but that wouldn't be terribly hard to whip up with an atomizer piezo, it's a disc that vibrates at very high speeds. Also known as ultrasonic foggers. It's basically what's inside your cold mist humidifier already. The only problem with them is they require water on top, if the water runs out and they continue running they will break. But yeah, a piezo, a 555, a mosfet, a timer or timer circuit, and a power source is all it technically would take to make one. Some sort of float to cut power if the water level gets too low. Looks like they do make things already https://www.amazon.com/Evergreen-Pet-Supplies-Reptile-Humidifier/dp/B07V1Q1R5T Can't speak to the quality as I don't have one.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
That's cool.
I was looking for one that would work in conjunction with a timer, I didn't even think to look for one with a built in timer.
Back to the searches. Thanks!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Those ultrasonic heads have low water sensor (at least some of them). You just need a 24V DC power adapter, and a reservoir. Power the adapter from the mains and you get vapours. Water gets too low they simply won't power on. Make sure it has low water switch, tho. It's usually a inverted U shape piece that sits 1-2 cm above the ultrasonic piezo.
Easiest ready made consumer option would be one that can be set to stop at a certain humidity. But there are more expensive and have shitty sensors (rh can be way off).
Other option would be buying one that has a potentiometer where you regulate vapour output and have it set in a way that it can run all the time at a slow pace. That way if it has let's say half a gallon or a gallon tank it will maybe last you all day.
I don't know if you can find one that has a mechanical button and not a digital one that needs to be pressed for it to start after the timer gives it power.
Diy options there are a lot including fully automated ones using microcontrollers and sensors.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I'm gonna be totally honest here guys...
Im not electronically gifted enough to be able to do a diy build. I'm probably gonna have to go with a RTU model.
I wish I did have the time to learn how to do that... things would be easier well.. at least funner. Lol

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Im not electronically gifted enough to be able to do a diy build. I'm probably gonna have to go with a RTU model.
I wish I did have the time to learn how to do that... things would be easier well.. at least funner. Lol
Unless you are gonna sell them or make a bunch, it's probably cheaper to get off the shelf anyway :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
From crappy tire...
picture.php

Hold 1 gal, work off my RH controller and has been working for the past 2 yrs. Their footprint is minimal and have a low H2O cut off. 2x2x3' veg and in my 3x3x6' flower rm

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Personally I had to diy it because I could not find one with a mechanical button that starts when plugged in. But if you guys can find them, then yeah go for it.

Cvh

Supermod
Look also into terrarium humidifier appliances. There are many ready to use solutions for smal spaces.
The most of them can work with a timer because terrariums needs to be automated too.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I found one at Walmart.
Honeywell Mist Mate cool mist humidifier.
It has a dial. No button that you have to push.

Works as soon as power is restored. And says it has auto shutoff

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I can't say I have ever needed a timer. There are lots of humidifiers with humidistats built in, that will switch off when it's above your setting, then switch back on when drier than you set if for. This gives the right conditions without using excessive water. I don't stop them at night as they won't increases the RH any further than you set it for. Though in Nature RH would rise at night, so maybe that when you are running them?

ridoo

cook large pan of water in the next room, hot vapore will make air moist quicker than any ultrasonic things

those ultrasonic are very helpful for cool a place, for make big Relative Humidity you'll need a lot of them

Large big pan, water, small fire, let the water cook slowly, close windows, get nude, enjoy :) lol serious about the hot water stuff

peace

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I have a single ultrasonic mister and i can add 30% RH to a 2 cubic meter tent in about 2 minutes. Why you say they are inefficient? You would need more for a big room but for most grows done in tents or small spaces they are more than enaugh.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I made an interesting but unattractive humidifier. Usual ultrasonic foggers in a level controlled tank, but it was the level control made them dirty. I pumped water in from just below and used an overflow pipe to set the water level. Then sat it on top of a water tank in my bathroom. One that was part of the house and used a ball type float valve. Thus my humidifier never ran out of water.

Until someone flushed.

RookMan

I need a small quality humidifier for a small closet for tropical plants.
Grabbed a small $15 unit from Walmart it lasted less than 12 hours. Stopped putting out cool mist and Then water started leaking out of power jack. That can't be safe. Lol
But before it stopped working, the main problem was that it won't work on a timer.
When the timer restores power, the humidifier must be powered manually by the button on the front.

It needs to be as small of a footprint as possible, but large enough for the tank to last a day.

Any ideas? I wrote to a few sellers on some sites but of course they are in china so they have absolutely no idea what I'm trying to ask.
Thanks
:tiphat:

I use the Vick’s warm mist. Works great when hooked up to my inkbird controller. They also make a cool mist. Both are sold at Walmart in the pharmacy department.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Please be careful as not all "cool mist" hueys are created equal.

picture.php

I have used this one for 2 yrs no issues.

I recently acquired a different one my veg tent...
picture.php

This one ran my tent "cold". I have never had an issue with the Crane in the past. So I swapped them out and problem solved. Dunno what is up with this unit. They didn't have the Crane on hand.

St. Phatty

All you need is a hot plate and a pan of water.

Latest posts

Latest posts