What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarboxylation?

Hubbleman

Veteran
Is it really neccesary for eadables??

Come on. What about firecrackers, u take a bisquit, u put some peanut butter on it, you top it with some gridned weed and cover with the same bisquit. 30 mins in the oven and its done.

Now i have all kinds of fancy websites tellimng me to decarboxylate my weed before adding to butter. :moon:

I remember eating hash. Tiny little droplets id bit of my indian manali cream hash, put it in a bottle with milk, shake it REALLY well and then drink it. Wokred like charm. I guess tiny droplets of hash get dijested and then come into contact with fat in milk and produce efect. No need for frigging decarboxylation.

I also made tea - hash milk / tea in the same way. Put droplets of hash in a glass and add hot milk and mix it really well, worked like a charm. No need for frigging decarboxylation.

I also used to put hash bits in a big spoon with sunflower oil and heat it above a gas stove until all hash melts, then put the spoon in a yogurt, mix it and eat it. Word.

Hubbleman

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I remember eating hash. Tiny little droplets id bit of my indian manali cream hash, put it in a bottle with milk, shake it REALLY well and then drink it.[/FONT]

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I've never understood why you need to decarboxylate something that will be cooked anyway. I've never done it and have had mostly great results.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Seems to make the effects stronger for me, at least.
Best guide I read was on ic, in the edibles section- badkats cannapharm
Cakes etc used to get me high, but with the decarb step added they kick the fuck out of me.

CaptainDankness

I've made them both ways and I can't really notice anything different. You would think cooking it into butter should heat it up enough let alone baking cookies.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Ive usually gone the hash route- made bubble, then decarbed when dry + blended into oil.
With weed butter I’ve would agree it must be decarbed during the making

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I've made them both ways and I can't really notice anything different. You would think cooking it into butter should heat it up enough let alone baking cookies.
That's what i think. When I used to make cookies I'd have to first make the butter which involved hours of low heat, followed by 40 minutes in an oven. I seriously cannot see why that wouldn't effectively decarb.

imiubu

Decarboxylation is simply adding heat to knock that A (acid) carboxyl off hereby making 'active' the THC... correct? Okay, that explains smoking being such a popular way to consume cannabis. Sure, I get that.

I do not understand the concept or the 'science' of decarbing prior to a process that adds heat. It confounds me and I've found no differing effects between pre decarbed and naturally decarboxylated through the heating processes; infusion into butter/ oil/ baking edibles etc.

Why double decarboxylate? It seems like there would be a diminishing of other cannabinoids, flavonoids and our beloved terpines, sigh.

I hope someone comes along that can explain the necessity/ science of or the resulting factors from pre decarboxylating, that would convince me to go through yet another step to create my meds.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Decarboxylation is simply adding heat to knock that A (acid) carboxyl off hereby making 'active' the THC... correct? Okay, that explains smoking being such a popular way to consume cannabis. Sure, I get that.

I do not understand the concept or the 'science' of decarbing prior to a process that adds heat. It confounds me and I've found no differing effects between pre decarbed and naturally decarboxylated through the heating processes; infusion into butter/ oil/ baking edibles etc.

Why double decarboxylate? It seems like there would be a diminishing of other cannabinoids, flavonoids and our beloved terpines, sigh.

I hope someone comes along that can explain the necessity/ science of or the resulting factors from pre decarboxylating, that would convince me to go through yet another step to create my meds.
Because it is X amount of minutes @ X temp (sustained). Simply cooking it, the heat isn't uniform.

I don't have that issue. I use previously vaped bud to make my oil or butter.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
ABV (One hit only, still green but minus the terps)

--> butter (4 hours or more at 212* in the crock pot)
--> optional reheat with fresh water to clean the butter
--> re-melt the frozen butter to add lechithin (1/2 hour at 250*F in oven)
--> then cooking the cookie. (11 mins at 365*F)

I am starting to think there is too much heat going into my edible dope. the 4 hours in the crockpot at 212*F should have done the trick:

https://youtu.be/W27etHlJjf0?t=701

When I first started making butter, I dumped the ABV and butter sticks into a pot, and stirred over the stove while a lot bubbles came up. I used to think I was boiling the butter, but now I know that was the decarb process. My next batch will be ABV and butter in the stovetop pot, stirring to get the bubbles. Then I will transfer that decarbed mix to a crock pot with water to get the extraction finished and clean the butter.

We'll see...

One more observation... My water gets pretty brown when I dumpit after cooling the butter/water mix in the fridge. I tried another heat/cool cycle with new water, and the water didn't get very dirty. Mr. Ringodoggis grows inside, and his water gets dirty too, but for more of the water cycles. I think the brown in the water may be plant material that has had the green cooked out, and the brown is water soluable. Inside grown dope wouldn't pickup a bunch of airborne dirt, and turn the water muddy, like outside dope might.

Last edited:

Gry

Would like to offer that I recall having read that cannabis does naturally decarb on it own with the passage of time.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In some instances it is required. We recently got into hard candies/tinctures. Decarbing the product in the oven is required in order to make the tincture as we do using an immersion circulator. The immersion temps arent as high as what we do to decarb in the oven. And yes you do heat those firecrackers you speak of once they are in the oven. Those edibles are prehistoric in comparison to todays. The websites you have looked at likely are trying to show you a more effective way to make edibles. Why not try it!?

Last edited: