What's new

using the search menu 1st, or starting a new thread?

whodair

Veteran
im noticing a trend here. many new discussions are initiated, and the 1st replies will either be links to the search button, or perhaps just the word "search". i really like using both, using the search to learn about growing and strains. but i also like to start a new thread, and enjoy a fresh discussion.

but, replying to a new thread, and giving the directive to "search", gives me the impression that Everything has been discussed here already, and new threads are a waste of peoples time. Bullshart! i wouldnt discourage someone from reaching out to others by giving them such a short and rude answer as "search".

there was a US senator in the early 1900s who wanted to close the US patent office. cuz everything had been invented already...

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there are like 4 threads on this same subject here already.
use the search function to find them.

puffdragon

Thank you, some of us newbees and of corse dummies some times need reasurance, and are not sure the question and answer; answered THEIR questions

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Posting & You! <-----a safe 'youtube' link

Actually the staff here dislikes new threads on old topics as it
gobbles up bandwidth, READING the old threads thoroughly is
the way to find answers to your questions, just starting a new
thread shows a general indifference to following protocol.......

whodair

Veteran
Posting & You! <-----a safe 'youtube' link

Actually the staff here dislikes new threads on old topics as it
gobbles up bandwidth, READING the old threads thoroughly is
the way to find answers to your questions, just starting a new
thread shows a general indifference to following protocol.......

sorry to gobble expensive bandwith. hopefully my 5 seeds purchases will help the staff offset the cost. im sure the staff likes seed purchases more than they dislike wasted bandwith.

this site is about five years old, most questions were probably answered in the 1st year or two, so who needs new threads, or new friends for that matter? just search and read quietly so you dont disturb the veteran members who already know everything...

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
I think when the question is incredibly vague, like, "what strain should I get, I like that knock you on your ass stone what could possibly in the seven seas get me stoned?" it should be researched instead of asked for the billionth time, but when its more of a question pertaining to your specific situation it grinds my gears when some grumpola comes along telling you to search for the answer.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You could also think of it the other way around. Some people have been here for years helping to create a site that holds the answers to just about every grow related question that could be asked. Then someone new comes along and asks very basic questions that make all the work seem worthless. Not to mention having to wade through countless threads that either needn't be there, or have already been discussed. If you do a search and read through a thread on the topic but that doesn't specifically give you the info you want, its very easy to add a post on the end of it. That way all of the relevant info is there in that one thread, giving the next person who searches for the same thing, every piece of info that's relevant to what they want to know. That way it not only keeps the site tidier, but also helps to cut down the number of threads that need to be trawled through to find the answer for the next searcher.

whodair

Veteran
You could also think of it the other way around. Some people have been here for years helping to create a site that holds the answers to just about every grow related question that could be asked. Then someone new comes along and asks very basic questions that make all the work seem worthless. Not to mention having to wade through countless threads that either needn't be there, or have already been discussed. If you do a search and read through a thread on the topic but that doesn't specifically give you the info you want, its very easy to add a post on the end of it. That way all of the relevant info is there in that one thread, giving the next person who searches for the same thing, every piece of info that's relevant to what they want to know. That way it not only keeps the site tidier, but also helps to cut down the number of threads that need to be trawled through to find the answer for the next searcher.

GMT

exactly right: the people who have been here for years have answered just about every question there is...whatever! then they could step aside and let the newer people have a nice discussion. the veterans got to enjoy the comeraderie of bantering back and forth in endless threads.

just like the condo owners who fight against building more condos. who needs more condos now that they have theirs?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I'm not exactly sure what it is that you are looking for. Is it answers to your questions? Or is it for the people who have been here for years to piss off?
If all you want is an empty site, then there are lots of weed forums that would be happy to have you join, forums where you post a thread and it takes a week for someone to reply. That's how it was here in the early days.
Lots of undeveloped land out there for you to build a condo on, or do you want to knock down skyscrappers to build yourself a little hut?

whodair

Veteran
im all for letting new members have new discussions. even if all of the answers are there on the site, there is the fun of having a new discussion. there are some people that like to Talk not just read.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
5 whole seed purchases?
then by all means we should dust off the king's throne for you.
that couple hundred bux u spent should allow you to do anything you want.
fuck them monthly server bills, your purchases have prolly paid for a years worth of bills.
carry on w/ your unorthodox behavior, you EARNED it!!!!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
whodair, if all you want to do is talk without saying anything, then that's what the chat room is for. No need to make a permanent record if all you want to do is shoot the shit.

whodair

Veteran
5 whole seed purchases?
then by all means we should dust off the king's throne for you.
that couple hundred bux u spent should allow you to do anything you want.
fuck them monthly server bills, your purchases have prolly paid for a years worth of bills.
carry on w/ your unorthodox behavior, you EARNED it!!!!

hey! im done on the kings throne for today thanks. and it wasnt even hundreds i spent, nirvana times 5 equals...

and of course i want to do whatever i want, dont you? and if it pisses someone else off thats an added benefit.

didnt mean to rile the old timeys so sorry. i'll use search for everything i promise. and thanks to everyone who figured everything out years before i got here. amazing work

razor ridge

Personally I find the responses you get when you use the search to be way off the topic your actually searching. I have done searches and got results that had absolutely nothing to do with what I had searched for......

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
it helps to go into the advanced search feature, to select the appropriate forum to search, and to widen the date range from the standard setting.

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
Personally I find the responses you get when you use the search to be way off the topic your actually searching. I have done searches and got results that had absolutely nothing to do with what I had searched for......

I find this to be the case as well. One way of working around this is to search Thread Titles Only. If I don't do that, most of the time I get a bunch of posts that were just made today/yesterday.

whodair, you dont have to go all nuts because not everyone agrees with you. The chat room was a good suggestion for what you seek. If a discussion is worth discussing, usually the search function isn't mentioned. It's usually when its a simple question that really doesn't even call for discussion.

Latest posts

Latest posts