What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

oscillating fans on plants

vindiesel

Veteran
i keep my temps perfect with 3 axial fans in tent using a 400CMH. i also keep 2 oscillatings fans on 24 7. 1 is at canopy level blowing back and forth. other is at bottom blowing straight up towards light. this 1 does not oscillate. should i have these fans blowing like this on plants/buds? not blasting them, but they are getting blown at low speed. reason i'm asking is i notice later in flowering by buds go from sticky to a more drier less moist, THC powdery feel. i would like them to stay slightly sticky and moist. mu buds look good and are potent but i cant seem to get the texture just so. thx. :joint:

L

L-Thirt33n

I think you have too much wind! Fans really aren't needed as much as you would think. When you have new sprouts and seedlings is when a fan is most important. Although you do want SOME circulation throughout the entire grow. A decent sized small room oscilating fan is perfect. Just one will do.

The more wind a plant recieves the more it focuses on root and stalk growth... This is a proven and proveable fact! Because of a survival hormone within the plant the more wind the more the hormone encourages it to "anchor" itsself better.

I experimented with this about 2 yrs ago. I put 2 seedlings in a veg chamber and 2 in another. (Same soils, same lighting, and same temps/humidity) One chamber had 24hrs 7 days a week fanning. (Variable) The other had only 5hrs of fan a day for 3 days a week. (Control) (I only veg for 4 weeks as the plants are then transfered outdoors. I'm an outdoor grower.)

What I found was the seedlings with 24-7 fannage grew WAY slower. They became rootbound within the second week and they had to be transplanted before I could even put the outside!! They also had only one node and one set of leaves! The other chamber was normal. The plants had more leaf and node production by far and far less root production...

You want air circulation, not wind. That's the key. All you need to do is gently circulate the air within your grow space. Basically if you can see the leaves moving on your plants you're creating wind, not air circulation...IMO.

sip

L13, that slow, thick stalk growth during veg surely helped your harvest I'd imagine? right? i mean, despite the time it took, the outcome was worth it?

Equilibrium

That's interesting. I have a fan blowing on my plants and another one circulates the air above the canopy. Should I stop any blowing directly on the plants?

rave420

mhh, i imagine there is a fine line between "beneficial air movement" and "stress due to wind".

Sure the plants like a breeze, but if your fan is too strong, and the air it is blowing at your plants is too hot then....well it can stress your plants a lot.

imho, hang a piece of string in your grow room, and if that moves around SLIGHTLY it's a good amount. if it is blown around and moving too much, then that is a sign of too much wind. And another VERY important thing... if you use the air from the top of the room to blow at your plants you want to keep in mind that the air in the top of the room is the warmest. So it's essentially like a blowdryer aimed at your plants. it causes the plants to transpire WAY more, cause they spend a lot of time transporting water just so it can be evaporated through the leaves. You notice that you need to water like a madman.

Hope i could help

vindiesel

Veteran
plants like the breeze but think too much for buds late in flowering. takes away density and stickiness. i now have only 1 blowing back and forth above canopy and beneath light. plants look same. we'll see buds in a month.

M

moses224

I run 2 twelve inch fans the one that sit directly on ground and they run 24/7 because they hit lower third of plant all the major buds are above that line of wind. Now veg I definitely try to keep the plants moving.

air needs to move... not enough to stress but enough to move air... it can be hard, but I know with out a doubt YOU HAVE to have air move, if not... you can get Powdery mildew and combo'd with too much moisture mold.
I'd rather have too much than not enough... if you lose one crop to mold... you rather have some yield than none.

S

sparkjumper

Use the stationary fan to blow directly on the lamp,keep the oscillating fans blowing up ward through the plants when tall and across the tops when they are small

Row

This is an interesting subject,

I currently have a hell of allot of oscillating fans, (16" air kings) i like the idea of alot of fans running slowly rather than a couple running fast, they are all set to medium, but maybe they could go down to low and this is something i may try, on medium blow the plants fairly firmly but not to the point they look like they are going to get leaves riped off.

I run a seeled room with co2 so the reason as i see it, is that when using co2 you need to be moving the air around the leaves quite alot to be replacing the co2 and of course stopping molds rot mildew etc.

One thing i am currently trying is having the fans go off at night, there is still plenty of circulation from the Ac fan that is ducted around the whole room, just the oscillating fans stop, as theres no co2 to be replaced, and i dont want the plants to be having to work hard and transpire alot when they are sleeping.

row

Latest posts

Latest posts