What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have You Been Growing Micro-Greens for a Small Family for Years?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hey :D

When I go looking for microgreen information, I find it almost as confusing and contradictory as cannabis was at first.

My goal is to set up and maintain a micro-green farm for 3 people, and I'm starting with spinach seeds. I have a few questions for those of you who have experience with this. I would like to have a little too much, vs. less than we need. The plan is to make them a twice-daily addition to our food supply.

- What sources do you recommend for accurate information?
- What process do you recommend for spinach?
- How much shelf space for 3 people?
- What spectrums/lights have you tested?
- What stumbling blocks did you wish you'd been more prepared for?
- As a novice to micro-greens, what questions should I be asking?

Greatly appreciate any help on this, I'm seriously working on reducing my projects so I have more time. lol
:tiphat:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A raised bed helps. We grow a few different spinach's, kale, of course lettuce, gourmet 7 variety (heirloom). Just planted spinach, carrots, different radishes and peas. Lettuce this next week, spinach end of March, 36 lat.

Instead of canning, we eat it fresh, or wash/dry/freeze (no blanching) spinach for soups, quiche, eggs other recipes. Canned spinach reminds me of sewer slime in a can growing up. :(

And always, we grow for us, the freezer and give away.

We use our LED's to start tomatoes, chiles and other plants. Haven't grown indoors to fruition.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

I found a mix of 2700K & 5000K color temps works best - for greens, e.g. leafy plants like lettuce.

I tried 6 cannabis plants under the same light mix. The male plants seemed to like it. The female plants, not so much.

I noticed that the Home Depot $100 light some members are raving about (for cannabis) is 5000K color temp.

BlackBart

Veteran
Its a Specialty item and sells really well in restaurants .

We grew it for years in our GH business .

We got $40.00 Per Pound but it takes a lot to grow a pound .

We switched over to gutters later on for a bigger harvest .

Micros grow super fast and easy .

I got all my seeds from Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine

Attachments

• 902994_4801667404532_1848306974_o.jpg
    902994_4801667404532_1848306974_o.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 43

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thank you for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. :D

50/50 2700K/5000K? Yes, I'm looking for the optimal spectrum for veg. Right?

Right now we're interested in food. lol We live rather remote from cities and only have a few restaurants in a 2hr driving range. I'll check out the Curtis Stone videos and see what could be applicable. Thanks :)

Gutters? You grew hydro or is it easier, more convenient, more nutrient dense with soil? I like the idea of using soil, and having a few worm bins for recycling. I'm completely ok with hydro, and prefer timers for watering and such. lol

I saw Johnny's listed among some others. Seed is by far the most expensive, and you can bet I'll be making my own asap. :) I have spinach seeds on the way. Nutrient dense, easy, tasty. :D

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. :D

50/50 2700K/5000K? Yes, I'm looking for the optimal spectrum for veg. Right?

Right now we're interested in food. lol We live rather remote from cities and only have a few restaurants in a 2hr driving range. I'll check out the Curtis Stone videos and see what could be applicable. Thanks :)

Gutters? You grew hydro or is it easier, more convenient, more nutrient dense with soil? I like the idea of using soil, and having a few worm bins for recycling. I'm completely ok with hydro, and prefer timers for watering and such. lol

I saw Johnny's listed among some others. Seed is by far the most expensive, and you can bet I'll be making my own asap. :) I have spinach seeds on the way. Nutrient dense, easy, tasty. :D

The gutter idea is great! Thinking hydroponic for this although, being, organic....enriched soil the best!

woolybear

Veteran
420giveaway
I found a mix of 2700K & 5000K color temps works best - for greens, e.g. leafy plants like lettuce.

I tried 6 cannabis plants under the same light mix. The male plants seemed to like it. The female plants, not so much.

I noticed that the Home Depot $100 light some members are raving about (for cannabis) is 5000K color temp.

Would u have a link to that home depot light?