What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor hydro?

Hi, fellas!

Hydro beats soil in terms of yeild and growth rate, but the sun is the best light source.

Why not marry the best of the best and do an outdoor hydro?

What systems are suitible for this?

Cheers!

Cvh

Supermod
Look into how hydro grows are done in Greenhouses.
They combine both into a controlled enviroment.

Just like a big tent with the sun as your light source.

Look into how hydro grows are done in Greenhouses.
They combine both into a controlled enviroment.

Is there anything else you can tell me about it?

Any potential problems?

And isnt green house growing ideal for bug control?

Cvh

Supermod
Personally I'm not a greenhouse grower.
There is an entire forum sections about it here.

In the better Cannabis growing books there is always a chapter about greenhouse growing. Which will explain in detail about the subject.
Interesting there is that in a good greenhouse you can even perform light deprivation.
Meaning you can trigger flowering in photoperiod cannabis while outside the sunlight is still >12hrs.

I suppose pest control is easier in a greenhouse vs outdoors.

green404

Coco can work good outdoors, you really need to keep up on the watering.

If you look online their is a lot of Dutch Bucket tomatoes being grown outside and in greenhouses.

CrushnYuba

I do somewhat hydro. And i have seen several attempts failed.
I do a coco mix with sprayers. Drain to waste. Fed on every single water. Fastest growth i have ever seen hands down.
The issue it's temperature swings. Its very difficult to do something like deep water culture in greenhouses. You can't easilly keep the rez cold. I have seen flood tables with rockwool fail. I think it was because it was an extremely hot day and they drank more then usual that day. They all died because the flood schedule wasn't enough to keep up with that day.
Next year i am going to push it a little bit and use even smaller containers Fed/watered more frequently. I had been using larger containers because it's more forgiving. I am messing around with these watermark sensors that can sense when the soil is dry and trigger the irrigation controller for those unusually hot days.

I do drain to waste and i have no rez. I use a dosatron to inject fertilizer into my irrigation water streem.

My medium is mostly different types of coco. Regular coco, coco chips, and large perlite. The coco chips i use are marketed as a mulch. They hold very little water.