What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

converting THC to CBD

I think its the other way around. CBD -> THC acetate

and THC -> CBN, I don't think there is any way to synthesize CBD however except growing a plant

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I think its the other way around. CBD -> THC acetate

and THC -> CBN, I don't think there is any way to synthesize CBD however except growing a plant

That is what I heard of, during 1970's. Called isomerization, to improve oil extracts. Skunkpharm/Graywolf is the authority on cannabis alchemy.

Rotel

Isomerization perhaps holds the key, however modern strains have plenty of thc and generally not much cbd.

Rotel

Never mind, misread the post. Had it backwards. Not sure one can make thc into cbd. Thc degrades into cbn.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Never mind, misread the post. Had it backwards. Not sure one can make thc into cbd. Thc degrades into cbn.

There are strains that are low THC and high CBD, for various medical conditions. I researched parkinsons, and high CBD was recommended.

They sell CBD oils, legally, everywhere. No THC. Forget where I saw ad.

Here is one link - https://pluscbdoil.com/

Heusinomics

I read from sev sorces that many of the commercially available CBD products are produced from places like China and Russia.
They are not placed under much inspection and that they are foul w Heavy Metals and potential toxins that are dangerous to healthy people and down right scary for someone suffering already....

Anyone else have any info on this?.
My rec is if u want cbd seek out some cbd dom plants and get the meds growing.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I read from sev sorces that many of the commercially available CBD products are produced from places like China and Russia.
They are not placed under much inspection and that they are foul w Heavy Metals and potential toxins that are dangerous to healthy people and down right scary for someone suffering already....

Anyone else have any info on this?.
My rec is if u want cbd seek out some cbd dom plants and get the meds growing.

Just looked, and they want 80 dollars for 10 capsules, with no mention of where it is from, or how produced.

There are supposed to be some great high CBD, low THC strains, but hard to acquire.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just read/watched this story from High Times. The guy in the video says that any organic chemist would know how to change THC to CBD with a little acid in a flask.
I am not a chemist but I do have a lab and want to know how to do this.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/simple-answer-what-are-thc-cbd

We've isomerized CBD to THC Delta 8, refluxing with H2SO3, but know of no procedure to run the process the other way.

A cannabis plant decides whether to turn their CBG into THC or CBD. Recreational strains have been bred to favor the THC, but the original land race plants were higher in CBD. Most CBD oil comes from hemp, or strains that have been selectively bred to favor the CBD instead of THC.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just looked, and they want 80 dollars for 10 capsules, with no mention of where it is from, or how produced.

There are supposed to be some great high CBD, low THC strains, but hard to acquire.

What ever the market will bear.

We grow our own Cannatonic, Maui Bubble Gift, and Harlequin for patients, all of which are high CBD.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Packed with BS. Has HT been anything but BS since Green Merchant? Poor TKF - I'm beginning to wonder if it was really suicide.

CBD can be made, but not from THC. CBD can be converted to several things, delta-9 THC being the most challenging.

If you want CBD but don't have a famous CBD strain, I suggest breeding with ditchweed.

izneb

Hi everyone,
Have some doubt about my extracts contains..:
Industrial hemp is used for, with pure cold ethanol as solvent and a rotavap to evaporate, 55mbar and 35°C heat.
The fact is that there is too much thc in the lab test result.
Hemp strain is Futura75 and have something like 0.05 thc chemotyped.. and a ratio thc/cbd around 1/25.
Now: how can it done a final extract with ratio thc/cbd like 1/4 or 1/6?
It is a self isomerization possible?
Could some CBD convert to THC?
What is the PH of the acidic solution to isomerize?
Could i measure PH of my ethanol vs macerate to see if anything changed?
Lot of questions thoose times..
Thanks for your help :)

If you want CBD but don't have a famous CBD strain, I suggest breeding with ditchweed.

The leafiest weed has the highest CBD THC ratio.

If you don't live in Ditchweed City you could also take a regular strain and make hasj out of it -in a traditional way-.
Somehow that increases the amount of CBD by a few 100%.

PDX Dopesmoker

cannabidiol may also suffer changes depending on storage conditions. In this respect, under acidic conditions it may transform into Δ9–THC by acid-catalyzed cyclization and, in the presence of oxygen, is oxidized to monomeric and dimeric hydroxyquinones [10]…

10. MECHOULAM R., HANUŠ L., Chem. Phys. Lipids., 121, 2002, p. 35

I don't know what most of that means, but here is the reference (it has a nice diagram)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=380540&d=1475441335

Izneb it may just be the material , however it is possible that naturally occurring acids as well as heat are isomerizing some cbd to thc.

If you plan of fomulating into capsules or tincture, your thc will be diluted further and should be below the acceptable limitations for your country.

izneb

Thanks a lot
Yes extracting hemp does results a very low thc content, this is right
We suspecting that producers cultivated F2/F3 seeds..and just didnt now the fact that it can degenerate (in fact is REgeneration..) to is higher naturaly thc content..
Then F2 and more have ratio tending more and more to 'natural' like 1/1 ..
And raw hemp testing just indicated more or less this fact.. even it is much difficult to have a big lot hemp total tested instead 10kg hemp final extract, much clear about tota biomassl cannabinoids content..
But this question about possibility to isomerize was to ask to..
Because presures employed are maybe to low, and possibilities are larges about cannabinoids transformation dependind pressure/temperature when extraction occurs.
And we found lot information qbout bhl, co2 but im just big fan of ethanol extraction and informations are missed concerning this subject.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Test a sample from a hydrocarbon extraction and see what happens to the ratio. Isomerizing CBD with acid is more difficult than THC, but there probably aren't any applicable graphs or anything. As long as an alcoholic extract isn't treated with one of the stronger acids for any length of time or heating, it doesn't seem to be a problem. A solution exposed to light, especially with other extracted chemicals besides cannabinoids, who can say what happens to the ratio - maybe it gets better.