What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanting ideas: A greenhouse that doesn't look like a greenhouse

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I'm trying to come up with ideas for a greenhouse that doesn't look like a greenhouse...

If you have a greenhouse by your house, everyone wants to look inside it.... but if it's just another outbuilding or shed, no one cares a hoot about it...

Any ideas? Or pictures of one you built or have seen? This would be a seperate building from my house...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
cheech and chong made a pool look sweet....using a building with only clear roof limits your sunlight compared to a gh in most cases...so make sure it is aligned right to maximize...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Oh yeah, alignment will be very important...
Thought about 9 or 10 foot walls, with solid siding up 7 feet, and some sort of transluscent siding on the top 2 feet that
would just look like it was to illuminate the inside of a shop building...

I live in the country, wouldn't be lots of people seeing it, and the ones who did wouldn't be trying to peek inside...If they asked, I'd tell 'em it was just a storage shed...

dj.scotfree

I have seen some grows on the forums.. using old buildings.. and replacing the roof using clear or white ribbed panels, hard to tell from above that the panels are translucent and let enough light in to grow.. and they look like similar roofing material.. ;) Love & Light~ djsf

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I grew in the city with only top semi clear panels...only ok results think the panels were like 33$ each from lowes

N

noyd666

WE USED ROOFING IRON SHED SIDES, REPLACED ROOF WITH CLEAR ORB SHEETS, 2LB'S ALL THE TIME, GETS THAT HOT AND HUMID IN THERE THEY LOVE IT. BIT WET ON TOP AT END OF GROW, NEVER SEEN PLANTS EXPLODE WITH SUCH GROWTH, I LEARNED FROM THAT SHED WE WORRY TO FUK'N MUCH ABOUT HEAT AND HUMIDITY. GO GREENY.= YES ALIGHNED FER SUN ALL DAY WAS THE TRICK.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Dig hole make giant transparent fiberglass rock cover, warm in winter, cool in summer, basically a pit greenhouse with a cover...

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bud....Go look at highcountrygrow`s thread down below and see what he`s done.....same idea you`re looking at....

East to west tracking for the sun will be all the light yas can get with nothing but the roof for light , so building orientation will be the most important thing....hell...

There`s also a website that folks are converting shipping containers to open topped greenhouses if that`s what yas can call em like you`re looking at doin , and they also have complete indoor units wired for growing....

Just get ready for yields to only be a certain amount and deal with it accordingly with adjusted plant numbers catching the most available light....

Good luck...DHF....:ying:.....

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
the plants will flower really well in a place like those built by highcountrygrow. and if you can veg them indoors and once they are big enough to flower you just put them outside. if you have enough HVAC in there, you can flower year round too, depends on your latitude too, if you are way north or way south of the equator, well, flowering year round will be more difficult.

the issue is getting them to veg nicely with limited access to sun-light. but for flower, if you get about 8 hours a day of direct sunlight, you'll be good, even 6 will do the trick.

this one only got 6 hours straight sun-light

Latest posts

Latest posts