What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSO , extraction methods , bioavailability , contradiction and BS .. ?

PsyCro

Ok, i'm going nutty with all this contradicting information on the web so i'm hoping we can put our heads together and make sense of it. First for reference, a pdf which many of you have already seen:

http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2013_01_1.pdf

Next, info that I find contradicting and eye opening:

- Rick Simspon over and over has stated the importance of the many cannabinoids in cannabis
.. many of which are killed off using the Naptha method

- Rick Simpson also states the importance of using several strains to make the oil
.. this makes sense if you desire the sum attributes of the strains, but doesn't make sense in that the sum attributes come mostly from terpenes/phenols which are killed of using the Naptha method

- The high THC level (mostly only THC is even extracted) from the Naptha method, from what i have read leaves people feeling about the same as when people take Marinol
.. an alternative method for extracting high levels of THC, and a pharmaceutic with only a high THC level, hm, don't very much like that correlation

- Lots of info on the net that i have seen, including from 'people in the know', calls for coconut oil as an alternative, which is supposedly much better than olive oil because its gets absorbed better in the liver
.. cannabinoids are simply fat soluble as far as i know, and are absorbed in the intestinal tract, and are THEN passed via blood through the liver at which point the type of oil used makes no difference

- Many people are reporting excellent results using Ethanol for extraction and are using it to avoid the more dangerous solvents
.. in the study above olive oil extracts more cannabinoids than even ethanol

So, i'm having a hard time not believing that Olive Oil is THE best method. Possibly use 1 to 1.5L of oil to 500grams of dry material, and then administer teaspoon doses 3 times daily.

Any thoughts peeps ??

Oil extraction is good, I have never tried it, but theoretically it should be very complete. However you cannot smoke it and becomes high volume. Do you think 1.5L can cover 500g of material? How would you do this?

As for the naptha, its a fairly non-polar solvent, so it is less likely to pick up undesirables.

PsyCro

Oil extraction is good, I have never tried it, but theoretically it should be very complete. However you cannot smoke it and becomes high volume. Do you think 1.5L can cover 500g of material? How would you do this?

As for the naptha, its a fairly non-polar solvent, so it is less likely to pick up undesirables.

Well i'm only assuming that 1.5L will be enough, ill know for sure in 2 months. Going to be used for treating pancreatic cancer, so smoking isn't the goal anyways, but rather to make a quality oil. Taking several teaspoons of olive oil daily also shouldn't be a problem, if nothing else it can only be healthy.

I've considered doing the 2 hour method at 100 degrees celcius with 1.5L, dry material minced down, and then after straining, once the dry material has shrunk, two more hours in 0.5L of fresh oil, for a total of 2L for a 3 month 'dose' so that would be approx. 22ml of oil per day for the 90 day routine, give or take.