What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

internal server error

cravin morehead

Veteran
lately, when i am submitting responses to threads, i keep getting internal server error messages. in general, the entire site has been real slow for me...

thanks

cm

OldSSSCGuy

Seems that under times of high load most any system burps now and again. It can take 20-30 seconds for the system to accept a new posting sometimes. Just a matter of load, eh?

Skip

Veteran
Your post usually goes thru without a problem, even though you get the error, yes?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your post usually goes thru without a problem, even though you get the error, yes?

Mine have been. I can pull up a second page of the same thread and see my post while it is still waiting for a reply on the first page.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
You can click post and get the error message but the post will be posted. Often the last week or so I click post and get a message that I have to wait a certain amount of time between posts. When I check the thread my post is there. In the last few days this will happen and the post isn't there, but wait a minute and it appears.

Last night I posted and waited but it didn't show up in the thread until I'd given up and tried posting again, giving me a double post. I later made a post which didn't appear even though it showed up as the current post in that thread in the Forums page. It appeared in the thread when someone else posted. This morning I checked My Posts and saw that someone had posted to a thread. Checking the thread, that post wasn't there. That post didn't appear until another person posted to that thread.

Last edited:
S

SeaMaiden

Mine doesn't, and I'm still getting internal server errors, some days (mornings) are worse than others. I am 100% positive it is not my browser. I'm also getting the ISE without actually trying to post, sometimes only while trying to edit or view a thread. I've started to just get up and walk away, by the time I come back it's done spinning.

Curious, what's the user base up to now?

Skip

Veteran
seamaiden, how fast is your connection?

We are getting lots of timeouts, meaning certain functions are taking too long to complete.

We are presently deciding on the best course of action on these errors.

You may need to refresh the page to see your new posts, rather than wait for others to post.

S

SeaMaiden

seamaiden, how fast is your connection?

We are getting lots of timeouts, meaning certain functions are taking too long to complete.

We are presently deciding on the best course of action on these errors.

You may need to refresh the page to see your new posts, rather than wait for others to post.

We've got a pretty big pipe, but our ISP has to connect to the outside world via Sprint. I've begun refreshing, that seems to do it. Is the server just being overwhelmed? Not DNS attacks or anything like that, but just so many users? The issue seems to be sporadic, and is worse on some days (weekends) than others.

Forgot to mention that toughmudderdave (hubby) has tested the site out from work using different computers and browsers. Same ISP (his employer as well).

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
The page that is called up when I click on "My Posts" at the top left (not in the drop window under User Menu) should show new posts (in bold) in threads I've commented in. This feature has been hit or miss for about three days now.

T

toughmudderdave

I have seen "Internal Server Error" on several occasions. That message is a generic "catch all" error but it is specific to the host...not client side. I have run, side by side as Seamaiden has mentioned, different browsers simultaneously with the same results. The server should have a log file and can be reviewed to see if there is a specific problem.

Is this site being hosted on a shared server? I have no experience with Microsoft IIS (their crappy webserver software), but is the site being hosted on a MS server or a Linux platform?

cravin morehead

Veteran
last couple days everything was quick and correct. today every click equals 20 seconds or more before finally changing... just got the performing maintenance error message... waiting, we'll see... that loaded quick

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Ive been having the same issue - even when Im only refreshing or clicking to a new page.

My quick replies go right through if they are short but my post replies kept timing out.

There have been times that I could barely navigate the site at all. Bad enough to just log out.

Things are flying with this recent maintenance - maybe its all better.