What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaii Considers Legalization

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From the KITV website-

HONOLULU —There's a new push to legalize marijuana in Hawaii. A bill would expand the medical marijuana laws in the state to allow for recreational use.

The bill introduced on Friday would allow anyone 21 yearsold and older to possess an ounce of marijuana, and to cultivate a limited number of plants.

"We wanted to give it a hearing and see what the public says. We know that there will be strong public safety concerns brought up at the hearing," said Rep. Scott Saiki.

Saiki said the bill is modeled after the initiatives approved in Washington and Colorado that allow for recreational use of marijuana. The sale of the drug would be regulated and taxed, possibly generating $20 million annually to the state.

"I think anytime you can get revenue out of the source it's good for the state. You know as a business person that's how I think," said Ozzy Boyle, who supports the bill.

If passed, the bill would also allow the state to license marijuana retail stores. The owner of Hawaii's Natural High, Greg Azus, said he would expand his business.

"I'd like to get educated about it to be able to prescribe certain kind of marijuana or edibles for people depending on their ailments," said Azus.

Currently possessing an ounce of marijuana in Hawaii is considered a misdemeanor, and you could get one year in prison and up to a $2000 fine.

HPD released a statement recently saying, "The Honolulu Police Department is opposed to the legalization, decriminalization and medicinal use of marijuana."

The police department along with others said legalizing marijuana would increase the public's willingness to use the drug.

"If we allow it, I think kids at a younger age would have easier access to it. It's not a good thing," said Thelma Madali, who is against the bill.

If the bill is approved, marijuana still remains illegal under federal law, which bans all sale and possession of the drug.

Read more: http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/Pus...8198402/-/13fr5mvz/-/index.html#ixzz2IRRRu2la

OLDproLg

Veteran
hahaha COOL!

its pigs like that scared mother fucker that are SO ignorant its unbelievable,parranoid over loosing busts.
poor po po!

Black Elf

People of Hawaii should not be worried, just look at the examples of Holland and Portugal re cannabis, and Switzerland in relation to hard drugs. There is no evidence that youth would smoke more, quite the contrary. Hopefully they legalize it, it is the only decent thing to do.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The survey vta is linking shows the Hawaiian public favors legalization by a resounding 80%!! While actual legalization might be a year or two away, this survey does several important things right now: It makes it much more difficult for prosecutors and d.a.'s to seat sympathetic juries/grand juries and get convictions. It also makes it easier for jurors to ignore a Judge's directive that might contrast with their own personal opinions, increasing the chances for nullification.

It also sends a clear message to the fedz that their Green Harvest ops aren't supported by the public. DEA closed their Big Island office recently. It was there primarily to control cannabis production. You would think the meth biz would have been enough to keep an office open, but evidently not.

Last edited:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^the drug war is crumbling. In an economy with this much debt basically most logically people see it is a waste of money. not only that it is actually prohibiting job creation and economic stimulus.

now just succeed from fascist american rule and it could be a kind of paradise again lol

unfortunately the USA is just one state in a fascist banking plutonomy. They will never let go of the islands either. it is a major military advantage.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
LEO is very powerful in da islands. As evidenced by the impunity with which all the departments claim to be solidly against legalization.

EVEN THOUGH 80% of the PEOPLE WANT IT>

Last I looked, the Police was supposed to be working for Society, not their own agenda.

Last edited:

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^Agreed! The Chiefs of Police from all the main islands are united in their opposition. A couple of years ago, when HI was looking to expand and define the MMJ rules, popo brought in their own "experts" from California to testify about all the problems the mmj program went thru there. Nothing positive from them for sure.

Skip

Veteran
The survey vta is linking shows the Hawaiian public favors legalization by a resounding 80%!!
Actually 81% favor MEDICAL marijuana legalization which already exists in Hawaii (to an extent). It's 57% for regulation and taxation, 58% for decriminalization.

Local cops will always favor keeping it illegal. That's how they get funds for new spy toys, weapons, SUVs, training, etc. They get massive funding from the DEA and forfeiture laws! Plus going after growers and users is far less dangerous than going after gangs and hard drug dealers, who've bought off the police anyway.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Gangs and Hard Drug Dealers are not such a factor in the Outer Islands.

The Society is at once MORE violent than Mainland areas, and yet not, little or no Gunplay.

Children are not monitored as closely as on the Mainland, more of a Village Spirit. One Day spent with a Local Family, and you become Uncle or Aunty. That is quite endearing.

It is a different Dialectic than anywhere in the USA, except perhaps Guam. Which has some similarities.

I cannot see the "Opposition" giving in on this. Somehow, LEO has more power in Hawaii than other places.

Example: A total of 5 times, in different "Country" houses, we had visits by Uniformed LEO at 7-730am. Claiming that someone called 911. Everytime. Same excuse. And Yet, they send only ONE officer..!!! hahaha...

Blatant Lies. Denied when I said No One had called in. Everytime, same BS.

There ain't No Paradise.

Skip

Veteran
You will get the Feds interfering with legalization in Hawaii, just as they have in San Diego. Both contain major military bases, and the army/navy is more paranoid of marijuana than they are of gays...

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^You're so right Skip, LEO addressed the House last week, and this is the result-

As reported by KITV 4

Honolulu- The State House has killed a bill that would have decriminalized small amounts of marijuana.

The proposal was the last of several attempts to legalize or decriminalize the drug this year.

Rep. Karl Rhoads says there weren't enough votes to pass the proposal.

The state Senate approved the bill earlier this session. Advocates said the measure could help lighten the backlog in the state's criminal justice system.

Because Hawaii has a biennial Legislature, the House could take up the bill again next year. But Rhoads says he doubts that it will have much of a chance given that it was such a moderate proposal.

The bill's death concludes weeks of debate over the drug in the Hawaii Legislature that attracted fervent testimony from both marijuana advocates and law enforcement officials.

Read more: http://www.kitv.com/news/politics/H.../19603808/-/paupcc/-/index.html#ixzz2PWVKnuii

Fuck...

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
This is good news and in keeping with my prediction that nobody wants to let a couple states have the monopoly of pot tourist. As others have said, the wall is crumbling. Imagine what it will be like in 5 years. All the medical states will have recreational laws and more states will be medical. It's about fucking time if you ask me.