What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Struggle Is The Enemy, Weed Is The Remedy: The Truth About Marijuana in North Korea

G

Guest 26753

Struggle Is The Enemy, Weed Is The Remedy: The Truth About Marijuana in North Korea
High Times In The Hermit Kingdom

by Benjamin R. Young , January 15, 2013

jongunspliff-620x340.gif

You might be surprised by what we’re about to say: the most tight-lipped, conservative and controlling country in the world is also a weed-smoker’s paradise. Despite the North Korean government’s deadly serious stance on the use and distribution of hard drugs like crystal meth (which has its own inauspicious legacy in the North), marijuana is reportedly neither classified illegal or in any way policed. The herb of the bohemian and free is not even considered a drug. As a result, it’s the discerning North Korean gentleman’s roll-up of choice, suggesting that for weed smokers at least, North Korea might just be paradise after all.

NK NEWS receives regular reports from visitors returning from North Korea, who tell us of marijuana plants growing freely along the roadsides, from northern port town Chongjin, right down to the streets of Pyongyang, where it is smoked freely and its sweet scent often catches your nostrils unannounced.

There is no taboo around pot smoking in the country – many North Koreans know the drug exists and have smoked it. In North Korea, the drug goes by the name of ip tambae or “leaf tobacco.” It is reported to be especially popular amongst young soldiers in the North Korean military – rather than getting hooked on tar & nicotine like their contemporaries in the West, they fraternize without fear of repercussion by lighting up king-sized doobies during down time on the military beat.

nkmarifield-620x442.gif

Despite the fact the government does not crackdown on the use of the marijuana (or opium) and its prevalence amongst the common people, all you groups of dreadlocked California hippies and Burning Man festival survivors hoping to book yourselves onto a spliff-sampling tour after reading this are likely to be disappointed. If a Western tourist asks his or her guide where is the best place to get the “special plant,” as it is euphemistically referred to, the guide will most likely eschew the question. They’re likely well enough educated in Western legal attitudes towards marijuana to not feel the need to promote anything that might draw any more negative press. Then again, bring them a bottle of Hennessy, and they might be more willing to help you out.

The reason for smoking weed in North Korea differs from America. In North Korea, you don’t smoke weed purely to get high and laugh at your own hand, you do it to save money and as a break from the ubiquitous cheap local cigarettes that do more damage than good. In the black markets of North Korea, marijuana is commonly sold at a cheap price and is easily obtainable. Therefore, the drug is especially popular among the lower classes of North Korean society. After a day of hard manual labor, it is common for North Korean workers to smoke marijuana as a way to relax and soothe tight or sore muscles.

One of the great bits of North Korean mythology we’ve all heard a million times is that citizens may not fold their newspapers lest they accidentally fold a picture of the leaders. But luckily not every page features those powerful, attention-seeking bossmen, so all the paper’s more easily recyclable parts (sports, weather, TV listings) end up being used to roll up tobacco and marijuana.

The Rodong Sinmun newspaper is the favored rolling paper of many North Korean smokers, it is cut up into squares then rolled into small, cone-shaped spliffs. A source confirmed to NK NEWS that they had found a half lit joint on the ground in a rural area of the country with the Rodong Sinmunused as the rolling paper. The same source noted that, although it is easy to get hold of, the weed in North Korea isn’t actually that strong. Another reason for Californian hippies to stay at home, then.

kimmarley-620x442.gif

Weed grows naturally on the Korean peninsula and although marijuana sprouts wildly around Chongjin for anyone to pick casually, near the outskirts areas do appear to be being cultivated more formally. The herb is commonly grown in the private gardens of many North Koreans: an American who travels every year to North Korea commented on Reddit that, “We came to a garden one day and took one look and said, ‘that is weed!’ We went over and sure enough they were growing marijuana. I had heard it is used for medicine but finding it was interesting.”

Reports of marijuana use date right back to the formation of the nation as it exists today. After the Korean War, U.S. soldiers commonly plucked the herb from the DMZ areas near the North Korean border and smoked it, with stories of tents being ‘hotboxed’ by tired fighters now a common recollection in the folklore of the difficult era.

Meanwhile back in the West, with the recent legalization of marijuana in Washington state and Colorado, some Americans are clamoring for legalization of the herb across the whole country. While this remains a controversial issue, the fact that marijuana appears to be commonly used in North Korea as a casual, cheap escape from an otherwise tight controlled society suggests that for all the other worries they have to put up with, they do enjoy at least one perk denied to people like me living here in “The Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.”

Illustrations by Emily Bakes

Source: http://www.nknews.org/2013/01/strug...edy-the-truth-about-marijuana-in-north-korea/

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
that's really cool!

who has that north korean sativa rocking in their back yard? anybody? :D

shit, this makes me look at north korea as a less shitty place than what I thought before... at least they are not also getting harrased over the use of a medicinal plant.

they should have gotten into the business of ganja exports instead of heroin though, seriously.

FuhQ

I would like to see Arjan and GHS take a strain hunters trip there and maybe give some local NoKo's some of his candy coated fem seeds as a nice gesture.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Propaganda on North Korea is unreal.... All I know is the put they the ass whoopin on the Evil Forces of the Banking Military Industrial Complex(USA) ..... Nukes and all...Smart People

If you watch Television on NK and believe what you see..I've got a Bridge in Brooklyn for Sale

mack 10

Veteran
i think they only sell 4 books in their bookstore, all of them about their leader.
one crazy place.Anywhere that eat's dogs for fun can kiss my ass.
mack.

walindour

North Koreans are smart people....much more educated than 98% of Americans

Hmmm. Not sure I agree with you unless you can provide a source. Although I think it is great that N. Koreans can partake, they are under control in almost every other way imaginable. Your entire family can be sent to a prison camp for rolling a doobie with a piece of newspaper that has the Great Leader's picture on it.

North Korea is a sad, starving country and I for one am damn thankful I was born elsewhere. Kissing the cult of personality's ass on an everyday basis to survive would be horrible, weed or not.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
They don't eat dogs for fun.

There is a huge food disparity in North Korea.

I for one will not blaze up where I can't find any munchies.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
“juche” seed bank... We will spread our seed all over those capitalist american pigs... grrr.. lol

Kim Jong Un should register to ICMAG. Might give him some ideas. I have read a lot on North Korea. Mostly the political side. I have never thought about their stance or laws on marijuana...

Thinking about it a second.. I doubt they would have anything special due to their climate.
They might get one good grow a year.
Power is hard to come by so no indoor growen.

I would love to try some DMZ-OG though...

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the thread by the way Smoking Moose.. Great read. Wake-n-bake North Korean style...

komrade komura

Excellent Article....really liked it.

Fellow human smoking out...good for them. It's rough there....If I lived there, I'd need to smoke a lot...massive amounts.

Our ruling class just let us have more food and shiny things to keep us on the plantation.

The NK model is just a little out of date. They will soon need to upgrade to Plantation 2.0 in the near future. They will find enhanced features and functionality after the upgrade. Regrettably they will need to uninstall V 1.0 during the upgrade....so as they say at the IMF: 'people gonna go hungry for a little while'.

Thanks for the good read.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
wow, that's awesome! they even blaze over there too, how cool is that..?

I don't know what it's like there, I don't live there, but the things I've read and heard are somewhat scary, but, so is life sometimes..can be a scary strange world, but they at least are allowed to blaze in secret little meetings after work or what not..I wonder if their leader gets blazed up too? He is a big guy after all..maybe he just gets major munchies like the rest of us, too?

I sure am glad I live where I'm free to a good extent and can live without being harassed for my belief in a plant that heals me from whatever I need healed.

Healing for North Korea :)

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24R8JObNNQ4

Inside North Korea - VICE Travel.

Worth a look see :)

thanks for that link man!

I really enjoyed it; but after watching the whole thing, could not help but feel a bit depressed...

I think it's in the first part of the video that they take them to a tea-shop where the american dude plays pool with an extremely nice lady! you could tell she was really dissapointed when they did not want any ginseng tea or coffee :comfort:

however, did you notice when the american guy asked her if some bags full of green was tea?? she just ignored him and in a very funny way led him away from it? that looked like herb to me!

Wow, really surprising to hear something like that. I guess they have bigger problems than some poor farmers smoking some plant.

Although it's interesting that the countries in the "axis of evil" all pretty much like Cannabis a lot. Iran is also pretty chill about it as far as I know.

Latest posts

Latest posts