What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Chem family

Darth Fader

So let's talk about the Chems:
'91 Chemdawg
Chem Sis
Chem 3 (edit: thx H&L)
Chem 4 - "reunion pheno"
Chem D

I'd like to break down what the differences are b/w these. Everyone tastes and smells things a bit differently and grows differently, but hopefully we can reach a concensus.

The only one I've grown is the Chem 4, but I've smoked a '91/OG hybrid that was the dankest ever. All the breeders seem to use the Chem D as the go-to cut, so I'd assume that it's the one they give highest marks to.
I can source these other cuts & run them side by side eventually, but tell me how you guys rate the different chems.

H&L

Chem sis and #3 are two different cuts.

D is the funkiest, nasty chemical garlic. Followed by sister. #4 is very good. I'd put the skunkva cut last. Still good, but not the best.

I haven't done the #3, hear it yields like the #4 though.

Apomixis

Chem "Sis" is a new name to me, is it referencing the #1 or #2?

91' Chemdawg grows most similarly to OG varieties. Resembling leaves, notorious stretch, great yield. Moderate resin production.

CD#1 is the most sativa dominant breed out of the family. Flowers the longest and appears ideally suited for greenhouse over indoor cultivation. Crude & unrefined.

CD#4 is rightfully recognized as the flagship of the family in my opinion. I've never grown the #2 or #3, but the #4 has the strongest potency and most resin production. It stretches less and finishes earlier than the 91' & #1. I often talk about how the high ceiling for tolerance makes the #4 such a valuable strain for medical purposes.

The Chem D in my opinion shouldn't even be grouped into the intermediate Chemdawg family. It is far more influenced by Diesel than Chem. Does anybody know what Chem clone was used in that cross?

Am interested to learn more about the #2 & #3.

Burt

Veteran
all i can add is that the majority of my garden has chem genetics in it-still haven't gotten tired of the taste but it sure is nice to toke on the weasel (pollen chuck) once in a while
The weasel is Sour D X white widow-the minty taste is refreshing!

Grizz

Veteran
the chem d isent a cross, it was from the origanal seeds he got out of the package from Colo.

Burt

Veteran
"the chem d isent a cross, it was from the origanal seeds he got out of the package from Colo. "
aren't the others as well?

H&L

Chem sister was popped with the D. #1-4 were popped by joebrand. The D and sister are from the original seeds, as are the #1-4.

H&L

Hey rr, great to see you still around man. :)

I did make a post about the Chems (101) that is still stickied in flower pics. It's been copied and pasted all over the place, about sums up all we know about them.

JOJO420

Veteran
chem 4

chem 4

I have searched n searched this forum for info on the Chem 4 and I'm coming up short. I know the basics and have heard the hype. I cannot find any in depth journals or info on how to grow this cut,WHY?

nomaad

Veteran
2010_0818-065.jpg

This cut is supposedly ChemD. It foxtailed like crazy in my light dep beofre I stopped pulling tarp... Can anybody enlighten me as to how long this strain normally goes? She is at 57 days in that pic. Here is another of her 10 days ago:

2010_0809-008.jpg

I also have a cut that came to me as Chem 91... she is still in veg, but will be flowering alongside the Chem D. I'll try to get some comparison pics when they flower.

simos

JOJO - Chem 4 is probably the most manageable of the bunch (or at least more so than the slightly danker D which likes to toss nanners). I don't know why you can't find any in-depth info about it, but I'd recommend trying in in an organic mix and feeding on the lighter side of life. Like any strain, the recipe to get it dialed will vary depending on the specific environment of your room. I think you'll be pleased, and barring any catastrophes you should have her all figured out a couple runs down the road - it's not the type of strain you'll have to run ten times to really dial in.

Nomaad - your pics aren't showing for me for some reason, but I recall seeing a delicious looking one you posted in your thread. It means a little more trimming, but as a matter of personal preference I really like the way the foxtailing looks - accentuates the D's beautiful puffy calyxes. As for the duration of flowering I can only speak about indoor - I've seen it taken down as early as 65 days and as late as 75. Somewhere around 70 days should be the ticket, imho. Better to rely on the ol' loupe than my guesses though...

DrLongbottom

Veteran
all i can add is that the majority of my garden has chem genetics in it-still haven't gotten tired of the taste but it sure is nice to toke on the weasel (pollen chuck) once in a while
The weasel is Sour D X white widow-the minty taste is refreshing!

weasel sounds familiar.....Ive got seeds of Mr. Weasel....Mr.nice x sourd x white widow.

Heya H&L, puff puff bro! DLB:tiphat:

nomaad

Veteran
I think she'll be down by 65 days. All the Chems and crosses I have run have come down earlier in the light dep than they are reported to go inside. The intensity of the sunlight seems makes the trichs go amber much faster.

I can't see these plants going another 3 weeks (to 80 days)... but I might leave a nug or two on the plant and see what happens over that timeframe.

H&L: thanks for the 101 thread. i've read it a couple of times.

simos: no idea why pics won;t load. anybody else having the problem? they are both reposts from pics in my thread.

Latest posts

Latest posts