What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st timer. 250W metal halide closet...any tips?

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Queso45 said:
If you're worried about height you might want to consider switching to an 18/6 light cycle. Its been said that the plants growth is less stretchy and has closer node length.

I recently transplanted my plants about 3 weeks after the 1st one showed pre-flowers (I was still vegging though). I've just read that it can stress the plant if you transplant it too far into flowering.

Just my 2 cents...
Good luck with your first grow.

It will be as stressful as you make it, obviously you are taking your chances, the deeper into flower you get, but if you do it nicely, the plants should not even flinch. Compared to the possible stress to teh plant from becoming rootbound, I would easily prefer some minor stress, from a later transplant

noob33

thanks for the advice on transplanting, guys.

another question......at about what age should i start to see rapid growth? the last thing i want to do is become annoying.....but i just have so many questions. i DO read alot, but there are so many different opinions on things

G

Gratephul4THC

noob33 i would sugget using adavance nutrients, but don't buy into all the products they have some are just worthless. During veg i like to use liquid karma, voodoo juice, and some emerald shaman. During flowering: big bud, bush master, and liquid carboload are some of the nutes i use. You need to know more about your plants though so you know which nutes they like or dont like. Keep reading up on it and if u have any specific questions just ask me.

Dr.Dog how come you only get 1 ounce of dry bud from a 4 gallon pot, i average about 1.75 ounces dry in 2 gallon buckets. Is is just the strain you're growing?

Dr Dog

Veteran
Gratephul4THC said:
noob33 i would sugget using adavance nutrients, but don't buy into all the products they have some are just worthless. During veg i like to use liquid karma, voodoo juice, and some emerald shaman. During flowering: big bud, bush master, and liquid carboload are some of the nutes i use. You need to know more about your plants though so you know which nutes they like or dont like. Keep reading up on it and if u have any specific questions just ask me.

Dr.Dog how come you only get 1 ounce of dry bud from a 4 gallon pot, i average about 1.75 ounces dry in 2 gallon buckets. Is is just the strain you're growing?

Well been experimenting a bit, trying different training and pruning techniques, trying new strains, so, many variables. And most importantly quality over quantity. My blubonic will knock you on your ass.

But on to your questions

The plants will start to get big around 3 to 4 weeks of age, I liek to veg my plants for about 8 weeks, that way they are nice and developed. I use Pure Blend Pro for my nutes, Liquid Karma, and Bloom Booster. I get my stuff at a local hydroponics store, this stuff can get expensive, but you usually have enough for a couple grows, so it works out.

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
Hey Noob, looks like ur gettin some great advice...Def listen to Dr Dog, he knows his shit...Personally, I have been using Earth Juice nutes for a while now, and finally got 'em dialed in, I think!!! They tend to be a little acidic, but if you go lite, they do the job A-OK!!! Like I said before, be patient with ur plants...they all grow at diff't rates, depending on strain, atmospheric conditions, nutrients, etc... Just keep up with them, be patient and ulll be rewarded twofold, I promise...We all make mistakes, even the pros, so if shit goes south a little, dont wory about it...We will all help you keep em green as much as we can!!! Take care buddy, and I got u tagged, so Ill be checkin in on you!!! Take lots of pics too, and get some better nutes, please dont abuse ur plants with that chemmy crap from Home Depot...check out HTGardenSupply.com, they have great prices and great selection for all...Peace

- Zeus

noob33

hey all. im having a small issue. the two plants that i bent over are starting to look a little dry or something. the leaves are definitely dryer than the leaves on other 3 plants and a couple of them have a little yellow around the edge. from what ive read, it sounds like it might be nute burn, however, the other 3 plants are fine. i cant see how 2 plants could be nute burned and 3 be totally fine. but if i knew for sure then i wouldnt be the Noob!

recent history:
my most recent watering was 2/6.....three days ago. it was the first time i had given them the full dose of nutes with their watering.

growth from the top of all 5 plants has slowed. but the shoots are REALLY starting to, well, shoot. their growthrate has increased dramatically

once again....thanks to everyone for your input and advice

Last edited:

noob33

here are some pics of what i was talking about in the previous post. its probably not as bad as i made it seem

see the yellow on the edges?

this one looks a little dry

shoots are starting to grow in

Dr Dog

Veteran
It sounds like a nute burn, and it really would not surprise me. I dont tend to give them full strength nutes for a few weeks, at least three, I start witha 1/4 then work my way up.
Make sure that you are letting soil get dry before watering again, that will force roots to stretch out in search of food.

But it looks like they are doin nicely, don't get worried about the yellowing until it starts to get bad.

Just relax and take a few breaths, there is nothing you can do, just let them do their thing

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
yea, what he said!!!Dr got it right..I would cut out the nutes for the first few weeks as well, until they are big enuf to take em in w/o gettin burned...They look good though, so dont fret...

Laters
- Z

G

Gratephul4THC

Dr. Dog, right on, i can understand the reasoning, especially the quality over quantity! I hope you didn't take my question the wrong way, i didn't mean to sound like an ass, i was just curious.

noob33, things are looking great to me right now, just mellow out for a minute. Like Dr. Dog said 1/4 nutes on your plants till they are older, thats most likely the cause for the yellowing. Other than that everything looks great!

-ONE

noob33

hey all. so i watered last night with no nutes at all. i will go with 1/4 in the next watering.

it was just weird to me that only the two plants that i bent over to LST were the ones that were yellowing a bit. the other 3 (which i left alone) showed no signs of nute burn at all. so i was guessing that the LST had something to do with the problem.

anyway, i freaked a little.....but im mellow now. its just that ive put alot of time in so far and id hate to see things head south.

G

Gratephul4THC

noob33 things shouldn't go south as long as you keep your cool and have people like us around. The LST's could have turned yellow because you're stressing them already by bending them over and by adding too many nutes to your water it isn't gonna make them get any better. They look fine and just keep posting pics and everything will work-out

-ONE

noob33

im around 4 weeks into my grow, running the lights 24 hrs a day. any rough idea on when i might start seeing preflowers? do i have to give them some dark time in order for preflowers to even form in the first place?

G

Gratephul4THC

noob33, patience my friend, i would say if you've had them on 24hrs leave it that way till flowering, you should be able to tell what your plants are soon but its gonna take more time, just keep doing what your doing, everything looks healthy.

noob33

thanks grateful. and i am patient.....just curious. oh by the way, i tossed the home depot nutes and picked up some fox farm stuff from a hydro store in my area. all organic....hopefully they respond well

noob33

so i topped one of my babies. im guessing i'll start seeing the new growth in a couple of days

just to touch on something i said in my previoius post.... i bought some fox farm grow big. do i need to use any other nutes in conjunction with this? or is it fine by itself?

Latest posts

Latest posts