What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best e-mail and other online security?

Red Fang

Veteran
I hear a lot about everyone and their brother using g-mail now. aren't they the epitomy of evil, the eye in the sky that watches and logs everything (google that is)? Isn't hushmail still better? Does everyone know something I don't? If so please enlighten me?
In this age where husnmail and pgp (that still or at least once exist?) and tor/privoxy are not what they used to be, what are you to do to say securely send pics to someone?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya,,you might want to take a look at safemail.net,,might be what your looking for,,good luck,,peace and regards s2

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
ah if you know them that well, do it on skype, its encrypted and govts can't crack it, thats why they are trying to pass laws forcing skype to let them in. Not passed yet though.

LAMBS-BREAD

Veteran
There's no such things as safe and secure emails. Hushmail or safemail are probably owned by the CIA or the FBI, just like facebook. Mobil devices and internet = zero security!!

eyes

Veteran
There's no such things as safe and secure emails. Hushmail or safemail are probably owned by the CIA or the FBI, just like facebook. Mobil devices and internet = zero security!!

exactly. all communications go through govt wires since they created the www essentially.

Red Fang

Veteran
well then I guess the question to ask is: is hushmail or safemail better than the others, safer at least if not totally safe? So in other words, what is the best possible option even if none are great? thanks

eyes

Veteran
best to go through a vpn service- so at least the communications will be encrypted- anytime you use anyone elses servers, your at the mercy of your communication going through them. possibly someone will chime in with a service.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Whatever email you use, get yourself GPGnu or GPG4USB and encrypt your messages. It isn't as complicated as it sounds. Basically this program sets up 2 "Keys" for you, you give one key to people who you want to be able to encrypt messages to you(the public key), and likewise take their public key. Now when you receive an encrypted message, you use your other key, the private key to unscramble your message.
GPG4USB is good as you can have it, along with TOR all on a USB stick to use on any computer you like.
For communications with a single person, setup an email account to which both people have access, and just save your messages as drafts, never actually sending an email. You could even encrypt this.

Red Fang

Veteran
Whatever email you use, get yourself GPGnu or GPG4USB and encrypt your messages. It isn't as complicated as it sounds. Basically this program sets up 2 "Keys" for you, you give one key to people who you want to be able to encrypt messages to you(the public key), and likewise take their public key. Now when you receive an encrypted message, you use your other key, the private key to unscramble your message.
GPG4USB is good as you can have it, along with TOR all on a USB stick to use on any computer you like.
For communications with a single person, setup an email account to which both people have access, and just save your messages as drafts, never actually sending an email. You could even encrypt this.
thanks dude that helps a lot! It does sound complicated and didn't read all in detail but could tell right away you tried to answer to the best of your ability, a rare talent now it seems!

Now what is that 403 forbiden thing? I wondered that myself! It's not I go on websites that require top security clearance or something! thought it was some hacker with a personal grudge trying to deny me access!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
depending on your level of expertise, you can quite easily create an enigma machine in microsoft excel, and post the spread sheet to the other end so they can decode the message with a copy paste function, and encode by typing in the message and copy pasting into an email. It would be impossible for any supercomputer to decode that. No way for anyone to get a back door key to that. Of course it takes superior paranoia to go to those lengths ;)

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
ah if you know them that well, do it on skype, its encrypted and govts can't crack it, thats why they are trying to pass laws forcing skype to let them in. Not passed yet though.

There were some suspicious stories a year or two ago about how the spooks & LEOs "were getting frustrated they could not listen in to the enemy using Skype"

Technically, it was not routed through a central server and also is encrypted. However, this has changed IIRC, it is also owned by Microsoft now and the tech architecture is has also changed, it now goes through external servers that can be intercepted or sup poena'd.

If you look at the history of spooks and interception it is very hard to genuinely be one step ahead, I never trusted Hushmail because it seemed too likely to be a trap. Apple stuff got totally compromised by one Tech in their UNIX porting work, he recently admitted he put a backdoor in all the *NIX Apple OS'es.

Likewise, the world's first digital act of war, Stuxnet, tecchies knew it was a Govt level attack because it used [iirc] 3 new undetectable exploits.... at the same time. Pretty sure no other Virus/Trojan/malware has ever used more than one... So, if you think the Govt is not/cannot look at what you are doing, I believe you are mistaken, we_are_all_rooted.

However, the good news is we are just loveable Pot fanatics, the Govts have their hands full with much nastier, more dangerous people. People I know who move loads of hash use the Hushmail Drafts trick, like CIA chief Petraeus and his lover, and are still free men.

Curtis Warren got out of prison after just a small sentence because they could not open his accounts, PGP files, or so everybody thinks, it might be true, it might be a double bluff, it is a very common tactic... but really, they are not after us on this level and may have let him go so others they want more believe it to be safe.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Curtis Warren got out of prison after just a small sentence because they could not open his accounts, PGP files, or so everybody thinks,
They lock you up now for not giving the key/password. There was a lad from Blackpool a couple of years back, came through the airport with a laptop, refused to give the password, he was eventually sent to gaol and the police told the media that it was because of suspected child sex offences, however there was no child sex investigation going on prior to him coming through the airport. They actually claimed that he had refused to give the password to child protection police after they seized his computer at home during an investigation, but this was after he refused at the airport, refusing at the airport is the basis of the suspicion of him being a nonce(if he is, then burn him, but only when proven).
The moral of the story, if you have secret computer thingies, you are by default a paedo beast until you prove otherwise.
3 month sentence as standard for not giving up your password/key, and at the end of the 3 months they can send you right back to gaol until you do give it up.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
what about our PMs? how do they intercept those..

i remember reading in that recent worldwide drug case where the dudes were mailing hash and all sorts of designer drugs all over the world, they communicated in an underground forum through PM and the gov managed to hack that.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran

Yeah I heard this aswell I also heard that their employee's were listening in on ppl's conversations. Hushmail is okay but you need to sign in every 3weeks and if not you lose the acc. I also heard they hacked hushmail. I always hear about TOR but I heard they hacked that aswell. I don't think there is any privacy on the net stay safe headband 707:biggrin:

qupee

Out of date, dangerous "information". Do not use skype for privacy.

Latest posts

Latest posts