What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

honey bees

Organic joe

i was at work the other day and came across this log full of honey bees
ive been wanting to start raising them for my own honey snd bees wax and seeing this just sparked my interest even more

i know theres some bee farmers on here somewhere so i figured id share some pics

if you have any you would like to add please feel free

and what do you think about the top bar hives anybody have experience with them?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

supermanlives

Veteran
bees are dying at alarming rates , everyone should have a hive. i am looking into it myself. my buddy back east had hives . he used the bees to sting himself . think it was for arthritus not sure. i thought he was crazy but later reasearch on the net proved he was sane. he used to grab bee and put it where he wanted and make it sting him. he also did the honey and wax thing along with renting out the hives for pollinating crops. i wish i had asked questions and paid attention.the local organic nursery in my area has classes and the gear. i plan on going sometime.

Organic joe

I didn't think anyone was ever going to post in this thread...
Yes the bees are dying fast they say that human will not survive four years after the bees are all gone kinda puts reality in check huh?
There's a couple of guys that live a few miles down the road from me and they offer classes they will rent you a hive with a swarm and come to your house for maintenance and harvest so you can get hands on experience to see if it really is something you want to do and if you decide you want to they will sell you the hive and swarm...
If you decide not to they let you keep the honey wax and byproducts
I thought that we pretty cool im going to start bee keeping spring of 2013

HUGE

Veteran
my buddy just started like 20 hives. he pulled his first crop of honey last weekend and i bought a jar of honey from him its super sweet and clean tasting. if you have any questions i know a good amount and what i dont know i can ask.

Organic joe

my buddy just started like 20 hives. he pulled his first crop of honey last weekend and i bought a jar of honey from him its super sweet and clean tasting. if you have any questions i know a good amount and what i dont know i can ask.
thanks its good to know some knowledgeable people to help out with stuff I appreciate your offer of help...
What kind of hives is he using so you know anything about the top bar hive?

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Bees are victims of a mite that lives in the bees throat, the mites cause the bees not to be ale to eat. When they don't eat the hive collapses. Not all have will have mites. The next problem with bees is there were bees imported from Russia when all the hives here started to collapse, some of the Russian bees have what is called bee fleas. Little bugs on the outside of the bees biting like they were on a go. The cure for fleas is to put a bee block mesh to keep the bees from the bottom of the hive, dust the bees with powdered sugar which makes the fleas fall off into the bottom of the hive where they bees can't
't get reinfected. The fleas eventually die. So sugar works theres no other code that you can kill fleas with. Imagine putting something like Frontline on 10K bees.LOL. Anyway just some more bee info. When I was a kid in HAwaii we had 5 hives in our backyard. My Bro currently has 7 hives he started with one hive 18 months ago. They swarm in the spring and a Queen and half the bees will leave to start a new hive.

HUGE

Veteran
He is using longsrtroff top bar hives. He says they aren't as popular but it makes inspecting the hive a little easier

Buddle

Veteran
We have a bee keeper that keeps some hives on the edge of our alfalfa field.We are dairy farmers.My grandfather actually majored in bee keeping at Cornell but he is long gone now unfortunately.I do have an acqaitance that keeps bees and every winter he sends them to Argentina (he leases them) where the farmers there use them to pollinate their raspberries among other things.
I am seriously considering getting some bees when I get settled at our new place..They need our help big time!! I go to ag extension programs and there are bee keepers there that have clued me in on their decline etc.Apparently there is an african bee that is making its way here that is devestating to honey bees.Wish I knew more to tell you..Get those hives and good luck.

O

OKD

:bump:

Getting into bees here; just seein' if there's any new interest? I barely know the basics but I'm gonna bone up this winter and get started this spring. Now I wonder how I can get this to fit in with my cannabis growing hobby?

Piel

Veteran
I used to run 70 hives with my wife and it was fun but pretty hard work. As I´m getting older I only have one hive left, keeps the family in honey. Great hobby.

Siever

Veteran
I'm a beekeeper too.
Top bar hives are harder to work with.
Start small untill you've mastered what you want to master.
You don't have to be a queenbreeder to be good beekeeper imo.

Siever

Veteran
I mean you should start with a couple of frame type hives like dadant or langstroth or whatever hives types they use around your area.

sprinkl

Veteran
I think glyphosate might have a part in this. It blocks a metabolic pathway in plants that bacteria also use. Humans, plants, animals live in symbiose with their gut bacteria. Without it there's no proper digesting, and no protection from intruders. Bees dying from several different causes means to me that they're being weakened by something else than what seems to be the cause.
http://articles.*******.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/09/monsanto-roundup-herbicide.aspx
Monsanto has steadfastly claimed that Roundup is harmless to animals and humans because the mechanism of action it uses (which allows it to kill weeds), called the shikimate pathway, is absent in all animals. However, the shikimate pathway IS present in bacteria, and that’s the key to understanding how it causes such widespread systemic harm in both humans and animals.

The bacteria in your body outnumber your cells by 10 to 1. For every cell in your body, you have 10 microbes of various kinds, and all of them have the shikimate pathway, so they will all respond to the presence of glyphosate!

Glyphosate causes extreme disruption of the microbe’s function and lifecycle. What’s worse, glyphosate preferentially affects beneficial bacteria, allowing pathogens to overgrow and take over. At that point, your body also has to contend with the toxins produced by the pathogens. Once the chronic inflammation sets in, you’re well on your way toward chronic and potentially debilitating disease. In the interview above, Dr. Seneff reviews a variety of chronic diseases, explaining how glyphosate contributes to each condition. So to learn more, I urge you to listen to it in its entirety. It’s quite eye-opening.

HillBilly1

Veteran
I have been thinking about starting a hive and putting it between
Blackberries and alfalfa to help kids allergies and to make mead

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Just noticed neighbors down the road have a few hives.....gonna have to stop and talk with them as this has always interested me. Pretty sure I have seen a local beekeepers group gets together once a month or so.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I always toss out a plug to a northern Minnesota business, Mann Lake Ltd in Hackensack; a top rated bee & bee supplier, been there since I moved up 25 years ago, they have everything a newbie or pro needs.

supermanlives

Veteran
I have been thinking about starting a hive and putting it between
Blackberries and alfalfa to help kids allergies and to make mead

I love mead... my friend brought some over way back and I drank it all before my now ex never got any.... good move fuck her sorry ass