Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Micro Grows > Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Thread Title Search
Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2019, 06:07 PM #2951
PCBuds

PCBuds will become famous soon enoughPCBuds will become famous soon enough
Apparently 1 bulb at whatever distance is the same as 4 bulbs at twice the distance.

I don't know if it's that simple or if there's other factors involved ? (like radiant heat ?)
PCBuds is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:04 PM #2952
Terpene
I love the smell of cannabis in the morning

Terpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomocean View Post
It is inside and the big appeal for the LEDs is heat is almost non existent so the small fan can be so slow as to be silent in my 8x17x24" veg box.
Check out Silenx PC case fans. They’re basically undetectable and flow well enough to ventilate my cabinets.

Quote:
Thanks, I remember seeing that. I think I am giving them too much light/ (or just right light too close) at a young age. I can work the math and I will play with the wattages, with and without the domes, etc to compensate for the distance I have to work with and the light pattern.
In veg, you can torch seedlings with the higher wattage bulbs. You’ll want at least 6 inches (if not closer to 10 inches) of airspace off the bulbs or the kids will start to stress when they’re little. I use the “hang loose” hand gesture as a distance gauge with 12-16w leds and canopy distance. Feel free to add an inch or two past that for seedlings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBuds View Post
Apparently 1 bulb at whatever distance is the same as 4 bulbs at twice the distance.

I don't know if it's that simple or if there's other factors involved ? (like radiant heat ?)
If you’re concerned about the inverse square law and being too close, go buy a bunch of 3-6w units and replace the 9w bulbs you’re running for a week or 2. It should solve your problem.
Terpene is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:32 PM #2953
PCBuds

I'm doing OK this run. I just had to raise my lights to about 2'. (it took me a while to get used to, it seems a mile away.)

slomocean only has 18"-20" to work with.
He could lose up to 12" including the bulb and fixture and end up with 6" plants.

Would he be better off with a bunch of 3-6 watt bulbs ?
How close could he get then?

How would say, four 14 Watt SIL's compare to nineteen 3 Watt bulbs installed all over the micro cab ??

Last edited by PCBuds; 05-26-2019 at 01:16 AM..

Old 05-26-2019, 02:05 AM #2954
slomocean

slomocean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpene View Post
Check out Silenx PC case fans. They’re basically undetectable and flow well enough to ventilate my cabinets.

In veg, you can torch seedlings with the higher wattage bulbs. You’ll want at least 6 inches (if not closer to 10 inches) of airspace off the bulbs or the kids will start to stress when they’re little. I use the “hang loose” hand gesture as a distance gauge with 12-16w leds and canopy distance. Feel free to add an inch or two past that for seedlings.

If you’re concerned about the inverse square law and being too close, go buy a bunch of 3-6w units and replace the 9w bulbs you’re running for a week or 2. It should solve your problem.
I am clearing out abuncha old seeds, one of this one of that. Seeing what will sprout. I figure it's a good time to experiment , these are all the ones I didn't want to grow at some point because I had better choices haha. clearing them out then gonna order new stuff. I got some 6 watters yesterday so yes that's what I will do. Thanks for the input!
slomocean is offline Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 02:12 AM #2955
slomocean

Quote:

you can really tell that with the dome on it scatters the light more, and without there is a spot light below. I got the 2 week old directly under the light and it seems to be doing better now with one bulb. the sprouts I put to the side and the oldest seedling doubled in size yesterday so maybe too much light was the problem. One just looks weird and stringy, maybe just bad old seed or bad genetics period. I am gonna look at those diagrams again of the measurements at the different heights, it will show the gain/loss with height.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:22 AM #2956
slomocean

Quote:
I'm doing OK this run. I just had to raise my lights to about 2'. (it took me a while to get used to, it seems a mile away.)

slomocean only has 18"-20" to work with.
He could lose up to 12" including the bulb and fixture and end up with 6" plants.

Would he be better off with a bunch of 3-6 watt bulbs ?
How close could he get then?

How would say, four 14 Watt SIL's compare to nineteen 3 Watt bulbs installed all over the micro cab ??
In the past I have topped 2 or 3 times and tied down and then transplant into a 48oz container after a month to flower. they then go into a 2sqft box 29" high in the workshop. I been limited to spring and fall grows because of heat and cold out in the shop. I thought with SILs I may be able to make it through another grow in early summer with the lights on at night. it cools off nicely at night. Thats why the indoor small box is so handy. I can take cuttings of whats going into flower and slow grow them with low lights and 1/4 nutes until next grow time. it's kind of lazy growing but it works good for just personal smoke

Old 05-26-2019, 02:36 AM #2957
PCBuds

Quote:
I am clearing out abuncha old seeds, one of this one of that.
Yea, me too.

I had an unknown seed from a friend and two regular $8 seeds to plant outside.

They're not doing too damn good but I'm sure they'll get stolen from my backyard before they're done anyway.

I hope they're all boys.

They can smoke that till they're blue in the face. lol