What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
We're 3 1/2 months in on this one and it's getting pretty nice smelling. Like a slightly fermented perfume...
I think we'll grind a little and roll one up. We have another lb or so I can vacuum pack for storage if I can convince the family :p
View attachment 18794702
Perfect cure brother I'm salivating here light up a pinner and the family will come round ha ha.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
A1195E3A-D984-4415-8D44-765E060FEC48.jpeg

The C5 x KC came out for some fresh air. I’m letting it dry for a couple hours and then reseal. Think I will begin sampling in January.
90B06A16-4773-4D02-8615-A3FAA4D1059C.jpeg
FB8B2630-0DBB-48C9-8270-9A6861AE25E3.jpeg
F5066BC2-C3CB-41D8-919C-372C0C89953C.jpeg
F818E2B8-6029-4C70-8CF7-56CAA01F1C4C.jpeg
01E7DC5F-AEB7-4835-9120-73CF19DB0DC1.jpeg

I dried a couple small ICMag OHaze plants for a couple days. Still quite moist. Cobbed just over an ounce. It’s now in the sous vide at 40 deg. C.

Attachments

• A1BF7617-D9C7-4DB3-A9A2-47D448229294.jpeg
    A1BF7617-D9C7-4DB3-A9A2-47D448229294.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • C36E7D39-EEFB-456A-9B77-A0C91BDB02F8.jpeg
    C36E7D39-EEFB-456A-9B77-A0C91BDB02F8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

Tangwena

Veteran
View attachment 18795071
The C5 x KC came out for some fresh air. I’m letting it dry for a couple hours and then reseal. Think I will begin sampling in January.
View attachment 18795073 View attachment 18795074 View attachment 18795075 View attachment 18795076 View attachment 18795078
I dried a couple small ICMag OHaze plants for a couple days. Still quite moist. Cobbed just over an ounce. It’s now in the sous vide at 40 deg. C.
Nice golden cure brother it should taste awesome.

Tangwena

Veteran
Deep purple Honduras x Panama cob.
So far this winter I’ve made a grip of these, some New Caledonia and some Panama x A5 cobs. Really excited to get into them in a few months. I can’t get over how jeweled purple the HonPan is. View attachment 18795146
I bet that tastes nice and fruity that purple sure shines through nicely I wouldn't mind a chew of that.

funkyhorse

Tangwena, I was reading this article this morning and a couple of things I read are interesting and fit this thread

Nana sleeps on a pillow of marijuana. It’s a trick his grandfather taught him to make the buds more potent, he explains
Tangwena, have you ever tried pygmee weed??? Have you heard of this curing technique before? Have you tried buds cured this way? Have you heard of more people doing this in Africa? It is kind of fermenting, isnt it?

he claims, the best strain is grown by Pygmies. Their technique of letting it sit for months makes it extra strong, he says.
In the 20th century when there was less or no hybridization at all, 6 months cure was a standard for sativas in southamerica and in asia for some people too. From what I have here, I am seeing potency in some strains start to pick up after 4 months cure
I certainly want to smoke or grow pygmee weed, it should grow beautiful here coming from a rainforest
Merry Xmas and happy new year to everybody

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena, I was reading this article this morning and a couple of things I read are interesting and fit this thread

Tangwena, have you ever tried pygmee weed??? Have you heard of this curing technique before? Have you tried buds cured this way? Have you heard of more people doing this in Africa? It is kind of fermenting, isnt it?

In the 20th century when there was less or no hybridization at all, 6 months cure was a standard for sativas in southamerica and in asia for some people too. From what I have here, I am seeing potency in some strains start to pick up after 4 months cure
I certainly want to smoke or grow pygmee weed, it should grow beautiful here coming from a rainforest
Merry Xmas and happy new year to everybody
No never tried it but thats not surprising Africa is full of old traditional ways to cure pot.
I used to score weekly and my dealer would have new cobs cured in new ways every couple of months.
My friends never remarked on this but I was always very intrigued by the different ways the buds looked and smoked.

RottyRzr

My wife and I tried just under .2g (.18g) yesterday and didnt feel anything. And I chewed it for almost 2 hours before giving up. I remember reading that .2g was supposed to be a good amount but absolutely nothing. I started the KA5H cob on 9 November so I know its early but I figured we would experience something.
It smelled great and tasted pretty good. I kept thinking a minty taste just not as strong as a wintergreen dip like Skoal or something. And the smoke from the KA5H is pretty strong so I know its got some kick.
Is it waaaaaay too early for any effects? Pretty disappointed right now.

Taima-da

My wife and I tried just under .2g (.18g) yesterday and didnt feel anything. And I chewed it for almost 2 hours before giving up. I remember reading that .2g was supposed to be a good amount but absolutely nothing. I started the KA5H cob on 9 November so I know its early but I figured we would experience something.
It smelled great and tasted pretty good. I kept thinking a minty taste just not as strong as a wintergreen dip like Skoal or something. And the smoke from the KA5H is pretty strong so I know its got some kick.

Takes awhile to tune in. Start with double to 0.5 and you'll find it, but it may take more than one or two goes.
I chewed exclusively for two weeks or more before the full effect opened up.
Starts quick once you are calibrated to it though, then you could probably try halving the dose.
Good on you for giving it a go.

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
@RottyRzr the cob is still very young.

What is your tolerance like; it may be, like Taima-da says, you need to take a bigger dose. When I first started I eating cob I would take up to a gram or more. These days I'm good with just 200-300mg.

Try it again in another couple of months before you judge it; I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
All the above are spot on smoking gives you a tolerance to the effects that needs to be overcome.
The only people I know who get good effects have either given up smoking or are in the process of doing so.
You can of course overcome the tolerance by taking a higher dose say half a gram or higher.
But if you take too much you will just get wiped out not high.

I find I build up a sort of floating charge its the only way I can describe it.
Once your system is tuned in to the effects you require quite small amounts to get quite high for very long periods of time.
This is not the same high as you get from smoking the same herb.
Its like a totally new effect similar to ecstacy or the early stages of an acid trip when things are just starting to get unreal, not the full blown trip but the precursor.

Its hard to describe but very fulfilling and something different to smoking.
As my fellow enthusiasts have already stated its early in the cure yet but should still be good to smoke.
If your really keen to experience a different and very enjoyable effect be patient keep trying different doses until you hit the sweet spot.
It is there to be found.

island_organics

These three cobs have been curing for nearly seven weeks now and have a wood like density and beautiful aromas of tea tree oil, eucalyptus, dark dried fruits like raisins and dates, along with a sweet pungent hash smell. The exterior is developing a nice sheen like a piece of hash and is a little tacky to the touch.
I had planned to sample them over the holidays but I’ve been sick with the flu so i’m gonna wait until i feel better so i can properly assess the taste and effects, and i guess waiting a little longer is a good thing.

C525865A-7BDB-4B3C-8C4D-416156F68A1E.jpeg
707FFC1F-0808-4833-AFEB-A88CF7DE923A.jpeg
563D869B-8BB8-4EDB-800D-7B713308EE6B.jpeg
0CF3B142-6D87-439A-8446-CDB3A22EDBEF.jpeg
6FC31C67-6071-4C24-B2B2-55D1B210F88D.jpeg
FECB1D28-6F6A-48A7-9004-AA3C942A976D.jpeg
4EB67F2E-DC4A-4A6D-9A10-DDA2C6F91894.jpeg
648DE059-D9D2-4B3B-A4CC-9E95939F934C.jpeg
CF84C246-61C8-451B-8869-C589D40E5FEE.jpeg
A60CBA80-090B-4A28-B884-57D7FD738FEC.jpeg

wuluz

Wow very beautiful
I've seen this shine on some cobs, where does this shine come from? Perhaps Master @Tangwena can comment on that.
@island_organics I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery

Tangwena

Veteran
These three cobs have been curing for nearly seven weeks now and have a wood like density and beautiful aromas of tea tree oil, eucalyptus, dark dried fruits like raisins and dates, along with a sweet pungent hash smell. The exterior is developing a nice sheen like a piece of hash and is a little tacky to the touch.
I had planned to sample them over the holidays but I’ve been sick with the flu so i’m gonna wait until i feel better so i can properly assess the taste and effects, and i guess waiting a little longer is a good thing.

View attachment 18796076 View attachment 18796077 View attachment 18796078 View attachment 18796079 View attachment 18796080 View attachment 18796081 View attachment 18796084 View attachment 18796085 View attachment 18796086 View attachment 18796087
Looking perfect and from your description of the aromas nice and ripe.
Oh I forgot to mention this is only one variation of a cob cure (one of my favorites ) there are many others.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Wow very beautiful
I've seen this shine on some cobs, where does this shine come from? Perhaps Master @Tangwena can comment on that.
@island_organics I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery
I'm no scientist but it seems to be a mix of wax and oils with resin.
As they age longer it turns into a cigar like bloom and under a scope looks crystalline.
All I know for sure is they are trippy like that ha ha.

CDNINCA

Hi all, a brief update on the first two attempts; the first is the Saturn Citrus from last year that is now 2 weeks into the curing phase, and the Malawi Gold (first attempt at that strain) cobs that have just been opened and dried a bit to begin the cure process.
Apologies for some of the close-up images which were shot with my iPhone 10 through a jewelers loupe that I use to check trichome development on growing plants. Afterward, I thought I should have used the camera on my iPad which is shoots much higher res images and would have done a better job -next time!
Next up are the two latest Malawi Gold cobs that are just starting curing after a week of fermenting. I like the way they look so far... and the aromas!!
Anyway, here's the latest and I'll post another update on the others that are "underway" when there is something to show!

Attachments

• IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG