What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

woven poly blackout tarps are better!

Started this year with a 12 mil woven tarp for the dep instead of the 6 mil panda film and can't speak more highly of the change. I get airflow at night through the tarp so no swampy rainforest surprises in the morning. Anyone else have an opinion on the issue?

Dkgrower

Veteran
Yes mossy it what you should use Panda is really just a bad replacement because pepol are to cheep - dont have access to the real stuff or are ill informed.

Dont be scared about the light they let in, its reflected and the plants dont mind..

All professional dark out materiale has those properties that mossy talks about and the one i use reflects light on the outside and allow for diffusion of air.

Side note if you want to automate the process most system are build to operate wowen covers

Do you pepol cover the outside or inside of the greenhouse ?

Yeah, the light that comes through is nothing. Almost like little stars but so dark in there you can't see your hand in front of the face.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
For 20 years I use a woven two layer, the outside layer is reflective silver on the top and woven with black to reduce the heat, the inside layer is two ply black woven, no light leaks, and I bought the woven darkening fabric after I checked by holding it to my mouth and breathing in and out, I picked the one it was easiest with. Most do not breath much even if woven. You can also put in air intakes from outside that are low on the ground that block any/all light and help with positive air pressure to force the hotter humid air up and out of the darkening system. I have used this also.
-SamS

Dkgrower

Veteran
For 20 years I use a woven two layer, the outside layer is reflective silver on the top and woven with black to reduce the heat, the inside layer is two ply black woven, no light leaks, and I bought the woven darkening fabric after I checked by holding it to my mouth and breathing in and out, I picked the one it was easiest with. Most do not breath much even if woven. You can also put in air intakes from outside that are low on the ground that block any/all light and help with positive air pressure to force the hotter humid air up and out of the darkening system. I have used this also.
-SamS

Strong tips form the masta

BigPharma

I have a poly woven blackout tarp. 26 x 120. Zero light leak, dark as a sealed room. I should hope so for $1500. It makes me want to shoot myself throwing that much panda film away, those that laugh at what I paid, that's the reason. Lets just say I am now happy I bought it!!!!