What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maines governor vetoes legalization

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Maine governor vetoes bill legalizing marijuana

Maine Gov. Paul LePage (R) dealt a major blow to marijuana advocates in his state on Friday when he moved to veto legislation that would have regulated and taxed the sale of recreational marijuana.

"Until I clearly understand how the federal government intends to treat states that seek to legalize marijuana, I cannot in good conscience support any scheme in state law to implement expansion of legal marijuana in Maine," LePage wrote in a letter to Maine lawmakers.

"We need assurances that a change in policy or administration at the federal level will not nullify those investments," he continued.

Pro-legalization advocates were quick to blast LePage's move, which some viewed as undemocratic.
"Maine should be looking at ways to expeditiously implement a robust legalization program that represents what state voters approved at the ballot box," National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) spokesman Erik Altieri told CNN.

LePage is the second governor in the state to veto legalization legislation.

The legislation was able to pass the state Senate with a veto-proof majority, however, it failed to gain one in the legislature's lower chamber.

Lawmakers will gather on Monday to discuss overriding the governor's veto, according to CNN.

The development comes roughly a year after voters in the state narrowly passed a ballot measure that allowed the use of recreational marijuana.

Maine joins six Western states and neighboring Massachusetts in allowing adults over the age of 21 o possess and consume it for recreational purposes.

That's not good news, by any stretch of the imagination!

G

Of course. He's a Republican.
You forgot to also play the worn out race card as well. When people like you throw out a ignorant blanket statement like that I just laugh. You will never allow yourself to consider any other world view.

G

Evidently this was expected. And he had signaled pre election he would support this. Wow a politician lying. Hope Hillary never catches on to this trick.

I hope he is overridden. He is using excuses but ones with valid points that the legislation is half assed from what some have said.

Thank goodness that Slick Willie or bammy and his upstanding pal eric "fast and furious" holder didnt take action on a federal level to reschedule weed or make it legal so the left can now blame President Trump for anything including a rainy day.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This Governor, like all Governors,
Have been duped into believing the power is at the top!

Evidently this was expected. And he had signaled pre election he would support this. Wow a politician lying. Hope Hillary never catches on to this trick.

I hope he is overridden. He is using excuses but ones with valid points that the legislation is half assed from what some have said.

Thank goodness that Slick Willie or bammy and his upstanding pal eric "fast and furious" holder didnt take action on a federal level to reschedule weed or make it legal so the left can now blame President Trump for anything including a rainy day.

Hillary lost and Obama is no longer president let go and move on

prune

Veteran
You forgot to also play the worn out race card as well. When people like you throw out a ignorant blanket statement like that I just laugh. You will never allow yourself to consider any other world view.

and then makes multiple posts demonstrating exactly what he means.

hypocrite much?

G

Hillary lost and Obama is no longer president let go and move on
True. But on a site thats as heavily left as this one I just preempted someone from blaming President Trump. I wont mention national figures again. The folks of Maine should just be grateful that at least they can possess, grow and use it for now and hopefully forever. My state will be one of the last dozen to give in.

True. But on a site thats as heavily left as this one I just preempted someone from blaming President Trump. I wont mention national figures again. The folks of Maine should just be grateful that at least they can possess, grow and use it for now and hopefully forever. My state will be one of the last dozen to give in.

I see what your trying to say yet trump does have a hand in all of this. By appointing sessions as AG he has created fear and a general sense of unease.

G

and then makes multiple posts demonstrating exactly what he means.

hypocrite much?
I think you would be surprised how open minded I am on a lot of issues. I just dont have the blanket hatred of anything non left as you seem too.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Republican Senator Wants to Make Marijuana Easier to Study
September 27, 2017 | Geoffrey Marshall

By Gillian Mohney for Healthline

Republican Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah has introduced a bill to relax medical marijuana research regulations.

“On the one hand, it’s a political victory. I think having a bill that even touches on the subject from Orrin Hatch is considered a win, but on the other hand, we’re of the mind the research is there, the research is done.[Medical marijuana] programs have been around for 20 years. A research bill was more appropriate in the late 1990s and early 2000s.” - David Mangone, JD

Medical marijuana is now legal in 29 states, but the drug’s various effects on the human body are a mystery in many ways.

Federal regulations have made it difficult for scientists to study marijuana’s effects on human health.

But Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, may finally help make it easier to understand what exactly marijuana does to the body.

Hatch, who’s against any recreational use of marijuana, introduced a bill earlier this month aimed at relaxing some of the stringent regulations that affect the study of medical marijuana.

“Under current law, those who want to complete research on the benefits of medical marijuana must engage in a complex application process and interact with several federal agencies,” he said. “These regulatory acrobatics can take researchers over a year, if not more, to complete. And the longer researchers have to wait, the longer patients have to suffer.”

Hatch said he was moved to introduce the bill in part due to the ongoing opioid epidemic and the fact that he’s heard from constituents in Utah who want nonnarcotic pain alternatives.

“Medical marijuana is just one such alternative. And after careful, deliberative thought, I’ve concluded that it’s an alternative worth pursuing,” he said.

Hatch’s bill focuses on making it easier for scientists and doctors to study medical marijuana in laboratory settings.

Difficulties of studying medical marijuana
While 29 states and Washington, D.C., have legalized medical marijuana, it’s classified as a schedule 1 drug.

The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) defines schedule 1 drugs as having “no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.”

As a result of this classification, researchers and scientists still face difficulty in getting approved substances to study in a laboratory setting.

They also face a daunting approval process to get government-approved medical marijuana.

Researchers who want to study if these drugs can have a medical use face extra scrutiny and regulations from federal agencies, including the DEA, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

These regulations include applying for a special license from the DEA to work with the material, outfitting their laboratory with special safety features, and waiting for marijuana to be grown by the single government-approved grower of medical marijuana.

Dr. Daniel Friedman, an associate professor in the department of neurology at NYU Langone Medical Center, has studied the effects of a marijuana component called cannabinoids on people with epilepsy.

He said the process to start the study involved getting a “one ton safe” and going through multiple checks with federal officials.

“It certainly was challenging, and you know it obviously helped that there was a pharma company who was able to pay for some of the logistical challenges,” he told Healthline.

Friedman said these extra requirements mean researchers may seek backing from a pharmaceutical company for their research. As a result, this affects the kinds of diseases they’re willing and able to study.

“It does become problematic for investigators who are not interested in studying a particular disease state or a disease state that is not in line with what a [pharmaceutical company] is interested in,” he said.

Hatch’s bill, which is co-sponsored by Sen. Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii, would make a variety of changes to the way medical marijuana is regulated for researchers.

These changes include requiring the attorney general to respond to medical marijuana producer applicants within 30 days, not limit the number of manufacturers and distributors who can apply, and meet demand from researchers for medical marijuana.

In addition to Hatch’s bill, another bill introduced by Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., would amend federal law to allow states to set their own medical marijuana policies.

Dispensary marijuana vs. laboratory marijuana
Nehal P. Vadhan, PhD, and an associate investigator at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research in New York, said since there’s only one current supplier of medical marijuana, the products available to study may not match what’s in a local dispensary, which are more plant-based.

If researchers want to study aspects of marijuana other than THC, “you're stuck with what the government produces, which doesn’t have the greatest variety,” he told Healthline.

Advocacy groups have been trying to raise awareness of restrictions on researchers for years. Some said that while the progress is helpful, it doesn’t go far enough.

David Mangone, JD, legislative analyst for the medical marijuana advocacy group Americans for Safe Access, said the fact that Hatch — a Mormon Republican from Utah — had introduced the bill counted as a victory.

“On the one hand, it’s a political victory,” he told Healthline. “I think having a bill that even touches on the subject from Orrin Hatch is considered a win, but on the other hand, we’re of the mind the research is there, the research is done.”

Mangone said there’ve been enough studies that marijuana has some health benefits. It should be clear it has some medicinal benefit.

“[Medical marijuana] programs have been around for 20 years,” he said. “A research bill was more appropriate in the late 1990s and early 2000s.”

Last year, after pressure to change the marijuana classification, the DEA announced they’d allow more producers to grow medical marijuana for research.

However, they didn’t change marijuana’s classification as a schedule 1 drug.

A DEA spokesman said since that announcement, they received 25 applications from potential growers, but the Justice Department has currently suspended those reviews. It’s unclear if there’ll be more producers of medical marijuana.

Still a roadblock

Natalie Ginsberg, policy and advocacy director of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), said they “certainly are excited and encouraged… on doing further cannabis research.”

Researchers affiliated with MAPS are currently working on a study to see if marijuana can help veterans living with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

However, Ginsberg said even with the legislation, they still have a major roadblock.

The FDA requires that drugs used in a phase III trial be the same as what’s brought to market.

With such a limited supply available to researchers, it’d be difficult for some marijuana products to get through such a drug trial. Additionally, since NIDA can't be contracted by private companies to grow cannabis for the public, researchers can't use their product in phase III and market sale.

“It is something to consider that NIDA is not able to grow the different strains that we requested,” Ginsberg told Healthline. “You have to use the same source of medicine for phase III that you need to use for sale.”

For Friedman, who plans to continue studying how marijuana products affect people with epilepsy, he said his biggest concern is that the restraints on medical marijuana research leave doctors without the ability to give good advice to patients, who want to get medical marijuana from their local dispensary.

“I think it’s important to get the conversation going, especially in the context of this rapidly growing access in all the states,” he said.

https://www.safeaccessnow.org/republican_senator_wants_to_make_marijuana_easier_to_study

I don't think that cannabis legalization is so much of a right/left thing these days when politicians from both ends of the political spectrum are interested in making it legal or decriminalizing it

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran

Oh God, please don't let anybody blame the golden calf, Donald J. Trump.:laughing:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Oh God, please don't let anybody blame the golden calf, Donald J. Trump.:laughing:

Yeah who in their right mind puts blame on the person in charge, just because it is his responsibility doesn't mean he had anything to do with it

He was playing golf at the time anyway, bullet proof alibi

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I don't think that cannabis legalization is so much of a right/left thing these days when politicians from both ends of the political spectrum are interested in making it legal or decriminalizing it

absolutely, big capital interests like pharmaceutical corporations influence many government decisions that favor laws that keep them in profit, they have always been the antagonist and often they pander to the conservative religious demographic to use them in as a pawn playing it off as political morality when it is a ruse to give big business an advantage

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
This site doesn't lean to the right or left, hang in the middle or has any particular political leanings. It is a sum of its parts, its parts are its members, and they swing every-which-way.

Sometimes I just don't get it when some of our members have to mention their current, and past President/s in just about every post, its as if politics has seeped deeply into the minds of some people and totally possesses them....Lets face it, if I was to mention Theresa May in just about every post you lot would most certainly (and quite rightly) be questioning my sanity.

Gry

States which have legalized cannabis see a 25% reduction in opiate deaths.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
States which have legalized cannabis see a 25% reduction in opiate deaths.

And that has zero bearing on what the scumbag politicians support. Zero. Can they make money and get the political support, is all that matters to them . Whether we suffer or not means zero to them .

They are Traitors and Scumbags one and all, 100% of them .

100%