What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"no ceiling" effect

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
It's been a long time since I've smoked weed with no ceiling. The top shelf Sativa's of the day were where it's at. Colombian Gold, Thai, Jamaican Lambsbread. Colombian Red was not in that category. Good pot, but it had a ceiling. The absolute best was a Colombian Gold/Thai/Acapulco Gold hybrid that just made you higher, and higher and higher until it got sorta scary. Smoke enough and you'd be seeing shit out of the corners of your eyes. People now days would call it trip weed. Haven't had the like since the late 70's.

I tend to prefer more narcotic strains due to insomnia and the aches and pains of getting older. Not sure I'd even enjoy those potent Sativa's anymore.

Look at Ace or Cannabiogen for pure equatorial Sats, that's where you'll find that no ceiling type high.
Had some Cambodian in the 70s that could really fuck you up :biggrin:

OkThen

not sure about later offerings but Mandala Satori definitely hit that Ahhhhh :dance013: spot a a couple of years back

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
No ceiling effect must be a particular chemotype found among certain genetics... it's definitely the right combination between terpenes and cannabinoids, but also the dosage and the ability from each one to balance the effect and keep the desired level on the egdge, without ruining it.

Obviously the plant must have the potential for a reasonable clean or active effect, you won't find this in any commecial hybrids based on Chemdog, OG Kush and so on. But given the right NLD genetics, you may find adequate phenotypes with good high. It's just a matter of selection. Unfortuantely nowadays, most people and "breeders" follow trends and select for bag appeal, potency and looks, no quality of high. Many don't even smoke. So it will take some dedication from your side.

High potency and high ceiling normally don't go together either. The way to obtain a quality effect IMO is smoking a bit and then stopping and letting the high do its thing, even if you barely feel anything, that's where you want to move and stay. Then repeat when needed and the effect dilutes without any comedown. Smoke too much and ANY type of plant will get you numb or lost in your mind, even if you won't sleep on that particular chemotype.

Just my 2 cents.

Fuel

I agree, it's a story of a "rich" chemotype VS narrowed profiles. Add to it than when the offer is a bit simplified on the "all kush or all dawg or both", it's not specially easy to stimulate your defenses if your tolerance is at the basis pretty high.

I see that like "ceiling" junk food VS "no ceiling" healthy meal. One is making you fat but more and more hungry, the other feed all your biological needs then you naturally lose your excess fat because you don't need to eat tons to be really "feeded".

In the "Marijuana and Cannabinoids, Mahmoud A. ElSohly", this mechanism is well introduced in the chapter 5 and 9. All the references at the end of these chapters are usefull to dig a bit this phenomenon, specially the experiments reports on mices.

The video posted just before is funny to watch and pretty clear to understand the role of anandamine. But totally Manichean on the THC vs CBD (i'm forced to take it as marketing personally) and avoid by example potent weed with low rate of THC/CBD but powerfull in CBN etc ...

J-Icky

To me this is much like the whole road kill skunk thing. I think it’s mostly lack of experience and overall knowledge. Like RKS back in the day people weren’t used to the hard hitting one and done punch of today’s weed. So back then the less potent stuff would start you out on a more mellow high and of course as you smoked more you got higher. Where as today you reach that same level in a few hits instead of joints.

You must also take in to account the time between joints bowls or how ever it was being smoked back than. Instead of getting a large amount all at once you were getting it slowly over time. And in the time between joints, bowls ect you were able to come off that initial peak and when you smoked more able to peak again.

To me that’s how I view this like the RKS, because back in those days the palette was less refined so of course once the stronger more concentrated hybrids hit all people could smell was the overwhelming skunkiness and not the subtle scents we can all pick out today. I get this theory from the exact same reaction I get from non smokers when I have a bag off good bud on me. They all say I must’ve been near a skunk spray because the smell lingers on me. But if I were to around the more seasoned stoners they know exactly what the smell is. It’s just like when we were kids and we just like sweets and didn’t really care. But now we can pick out the savory, or richness or even saltiness in sweets and pick which ones we prefer based on our acquired knowledge and experience

White Beard

Some folks have fanciful ideas about what weed and getting stoned were like ‘back in the day’ - and about ‘how much stronger weed is now’. There’s some fanciful notions about what ‘no ceiling’ means, too.

The idea of ceiling refers to how high can you get off a given example: most herb, you smoke a bowl or a few and you get about as high as you’re going to get off that batch; you’ve hit the ceiling.

A batch/strain/exemplar will have the character of first, leaving you up and second, taking you higher. If the experience with that batch never actually levels off, it has no ceiling: you keep getting higher without “bumping into” a barrier. Weed like that, people will change their lives. ‘No ceiling’ means no limit to how high you can get - and no limit on what you can get from the experience of being that high.

White Beard

Respect, Mustafunk! :tiphat:

No ceiling effect must be a particular chemotype found among certain genetics... it's definitely the right combination between terpenes and cannabinoids, but also the dosage and the ability from each one to balance the effect and keep the desired level on the egdge, without ruining it.
I have to exclude terpenes from the endless-high effect, for the reason that I and others had multiple experiences with it back when it was all brickweed from south of the border. My first direct experience of terpenes came much much later.

Impossible to examine back through the murk with confidence, but whatever combination produces that effect had to have been in what we were smoking in the 60s-70s, and it has to be in at least some of what we’re smoking now.

I agree the key to managing the effect is to take it in stages, it takes very little to maintain a level when that effect is in play.

Obviously the plant must have the potential for a reasonable clean or active effect, you won't find this in any commecial hybrids based on Chemdog, OG Kush and so on. But given the right NLD genetics, you may find adequate phenotypes with good high. It's just a matter of selection. Unfortuantely nowadays, most people and "breeders" follow trends and select for bag appeal, potency and looks, no quality of high. Many don't even smoke. So it will take some dedication from your side.

As far as I’m concerned, there’s no such thing as ‘numerical’ potency. I’m as easily charmed by a great flavor or smell as the next guy but it’s too expensive to buy it - or grow it - just for the aroma. I want what it can do for me.

High potency and high ceiling normally don't go together either. The way to obtain a quality effect IMO is smoking a bit and then stopping and letting the high do its thing, even if you barely feel anything, that's where you want to move and stay. Then repeat when needed and the effect dilutes without any comedown. Smoke too much and ANY type of plant will get you numb or lost in your mind, even if you won't sleep on that particular chemotype.

Just my 2 cents.
The art of finding and maintaining a desired level...basic training for cannabists

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I encountered Acapulco Gold one time that had "no ceiling". Pure mind altering, panic inducing high with sensation of being pulled back into my seat like launching in a rocket ship, leaves you glued there like riding an insane carnival ride wishing it was over lol.

ahortator

Veteran
As far as I know, no ceiling and low tolerance strains are the 100% pure sativa (NLD) cannabusiness industry, narco trafickers with the involvement of DEA and government agencies, have destroyed mixing or replacing them with couchlocking hybrids across the world.

Such strains were very common, in fact they were the most spreaded strains in the world until recent modern times (70's-80's) of indoor breeding and seedbanks.

They used to be not extremely potent in THC %. But the clean, trippy psychoactivity was there for sure, even if some of them are only 5-10% THC or even lower. It is this type of weed you smoke and perhaps you feel it is not extremely powerful but if you continue smoking you can land on Ganymede, in other parallel universes through a wormhole or in alternate realities.

Of course there are stronger stuff of this type of weed in THC % such as Thai. But people tend to misunderstand potency for THC % so they look for the highest THC content strain which are usually modern developed indica (BLD) hash plants covered with heaps of resin combining such high THC content with other substances (cannabinoids as CBD, terpenes or God knows which other molecules) which turn the high into a numbing dull stone.

But people have got used to modern stuff to such point that if you give them that type of bud they reject it as it would be trash.

djonkoman

Veteran
unfortunatly I never experienced the time before modern weed, and live too far north to grow tropical landraces outdoor. so I never experienced the landraces often mentioned as ceilingless.

but, I started growing before I started smoking, and I started off growing danish outdoor sativas(thyphoon was one of the strains I grew my first grow). only after getting used to my own, I smoked coffeeshop weed too, and I noticed a clear difference in effect.

ceiling was a part of it, don't think my own outdoor was really ceilingless, but definitely higher ceiling(although lower potency). the effect also felt more 'complete' somehow. like commercial weed I can smoke a lot, get a cloudy head and relax like a zombie, but it never really scratches that itch, gives that kind of full-belly-after-a-good-meal-feeling. also no afterstone, which all the coffeeshop weed does have. at the time I blamed most of this difference on it being grown outdoor. a few coffeeshops offered outdoor weed, and indeed there I noticed the same completeness and higher ceiling(strains offered were royal dane and durban). so I always assumed that, besides the genetics, the outdoor conditions play a role in the effect.

now I do think genetics play a bigger role as I thought back then, since I didn't know how 'indica-ised' all the available commercial weed is. but I do still think outdoor weed is superior to indoor.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Nepalese Highland genetics are known for this effect. For whatever that's worth. I sure experienced it with Satori.