What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding chamber questions???

Earlmarne

So , I have an urge to start f2 ing my plants when popping a pack so as to further search through genomes.
I also daydream about crosses.
Thing is thus far I am unwilling to seed up my flower room.
I have a 10 by 10 veg. For a long while now a 4 by 2 shelf is all I utilize. I like transplanting my smaller plants into flower and grow into my netting. So electricity spent growing trees in veg doesnt make sense at the moment.....
Current thinking is to frame in a 3 by 2 4.5 ft tall box under my shelf.
Get a couple blurple 45 w led panels.
Run a smaller tub as a 2 site ppk with a tub plumbed outside of the box so as to top off without opening it up.
Should I be building an exhaust? With my veg staying between 70 to 80.
Anything else I should build for?
Goal is to pull minimal power. My flower room is running 2630 watts of light 12k btu ac 4 12” fans , pumps and dehumidifier. Veg is a few pumps a 6” exhaust and a couple 8 light t5s.
Got a 60 amp sub panel but only pulled 15 amps to the wall i am veging on. Ive popped that breaker when vacuuming so want to be careful with power.
I did pull a 220 outlet off my main coming into flower. To utilize it I would have to build in the far corner of veg and take up space for growing trees if I ever decide to ramp up production to have ready to flower plants coming from veg in the future.
Hoping for some insight on the matter as I am completely ignorant to the process but am sick of not doing my part in producing seeds. Seems like I am cheating myself searching through single packs but unwilling to cough up the coin to go bigger. Also feels like its good insurance. I recently lost my prized gb bx2. If I had ran a seed run of that pack when popped I could easily go and search for her again without purchasing more

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You can produce an amazing number of seeds from 100w of LEDs. Short plants, LST, quick flower. I recommend using air filtration to keep pollen contained, I've run across a few people who have allergies. I've also run across others who have developed allergies over the years.

I strongly recommend topping your seed plants and rooting the cuts under 12/12 lighting. Not only will you determine sex very early, you will also be able to reverse the females. Collect, dry and freeze your pollen from these plants, and make sure you label things properly with a lot of detail. You may not use the pollen for 10 years ;)

Males only need a tiny light to continue flowering. :)

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm looking at a cut of Tsue which probably won't re-veg. :( Fortunately, I reversed a cut of her and have a pint full of pollen packets. Yaay!

Earlmarne

Thats great info, thank you.
I got my room all set. Waiting on an ac this week. Once its in and I get planted Im going to start working on a spot for males

Douglas.Curtis

Thats great info, thank you.
I got my room all set. Waiting on an ac this week. Once its in and I get planted Im going to start working on a spot for males
Great. :)

I pick off the beginning male flowers, until the whole branch is about to open at once. At this point I'll cut the branch off, put it in a jar of water, and place it over foil or wax paper in a small space without air movement. Even regular room light will work at this point, the plant won't care. :)

LostTribe

Premium user
So , I have an urge to start f2 ing my plants when popping a pack so as to further search through genomes.
I also daydream about crosses.
Thing is thus far I am unwilling to seed up my flower room.
I have a 10 by 10 veg. For a long while now a 4 by 2 shelf is all I utilize. I like transplanting my smaller plants into flower and grow into my netting. So electricity spent growing trees in veg doesnt make sense at the moment.....
Current thinking is to frame in a 3 by 2 4.5 ft tall box under my shelf.
Get a couple blurple 45 w led panels.
Run a smaller tub as a 2 site ppk with a tub plumbed outside of the box so as to top off without opening it up.
Should I be building an exhaust? With my veg staying between 70 to 80.
Anything else I should build for?
Goal is to pull minimal power. My flower room is running 2630 watts of light 12k btu ac 4 12” fans , pumps and dehumidifier. Veg is a few pumps a 6” exhaust and a couple 8 light t5s.
Got a 60 amp sub panel but only pulled 15 amps to the wall i am veging on. Ive popped that breaker when vacuuming so want to be careful with power.
I did pull a 220 outlet off my main coming into flower. To utilize it I would have to build in the far corner of veg and take up space for growing trees if I ever decide to ramp up production to have ready to flower plants coming from veg in the future.
Hoping for some insight on the matter as I am completely ignorant to the process but am sick of not doing my part in producing seeds. Seems like I am cheating myself searching through single packs but unwilling to cough up the coin to go bigger. Also feels like its good insurance. I recently lost my prized gb bx2. If I had ran a seed run of that pack when popped I could easily go and search for her again without purchasing more

I highly recommend a male only bloom chamber. Then you can take the females you want to pollenate to the male and then put her back into bloom room.

That is the only way to prevent your entire crop from going to seed. Males will flower on very little light even just a lager trash can with a single 23w cfl will provide you with enough pollen to seed a 2600w bloom area.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I strongly recommend topping your seed plants and rooting the cuts under 12/12 lighting. Not only will you determine sex very early, you will also be able to reverse the females.

For some reason I can't ever get that to work.
Do you do anything different from regular clones(except the 12/12)?
Would be so much faster to identify sex

Douglas.Curtis

For some reason I can't ever get that to work.
Do you do anything different from regular clones(except the 12/12)?
Would be so much faster to identify sex
I use a super simple setup. I cut a piece of foam from an egg carton, poke holes and label them. I cut the clones and poke them through the holes and then float the foam in a bucket of water. I place the bucket in 12/12 lighting and change the water out every day.

That's it. Hope it helps.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I use a super simple setup. I cut a piece of foam from an egg carton, poke holes and label them. I cut the clones and poke them through the holes and then float the foam in a bucket of water. I place the bucket in 12/12 lighting and change the water out every day.

That's it. Hope it helps.

Thanks D.C. Somehow I'm missed this post. So you cut it long enough for the stem to touch water? Like how much of stem is underwater?
You are changing the water, so I guess you don't use a pump and air stone?
I've heard of growers doing that but not really submerging the cut stem. The bubbles from air stone cause water to splash on the stem.

I was using an old Phototron to sex fresh cuts. Regular plants will bloom in the Phototron. But I think the mirrored tinted Plexiglas let's in too much light, during the lights off period. Weird that it doesn't cause problems in mature plants.

Douglas.Curtis

Thanks D.C. Somehow I'm missed this post. So you cut it long enough for the stem to touch water? Like how much of stem is underwater?
You are changing the water, so I guess you don't use a pump and air stone?
I've heard of growers doing that but not really submerging the cut stem. The bubbles from air stone cause water to splash on the stem.
I try to take a cutting with a few nodes, leaving around 2" of stem in the water. Correct, no airstone or pump when you change the water out once a day. It's a simple adaptation of putting cuttings in a glass of water on your kitchen counter. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts