What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mexican strain identification

SolarLogos

I realize this is an Ace forum, but if you will permit me, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with growing this strain of Cannabis. I mailed the seeds back from Villarta, Mexico. It has a nice Mexican taste, euphoric, great cerebral high. The locals call it "Monkey Shit". I smoked with quite a few of the locals and they all smoke the same thing. They said it was the same weed as long as they can remember, but it takes 6 months to flower and grown in the Sierra Madre Mountains. I mailed the seeds back in 2 envelopes. One made it, the other had crushed powdered seeds. I have 79 good seeds. I popped 5 of them. One hermie, 3 males and 1 female.

Everything about this strain is BIG. Start with the seeds (see pic). The fan leaves are huge. The stalks are hollow and fat. The petiole is long and fat and there is an all green pheno and a purple pheno with all pretty petioles and purple striped stalks, not from cold.

As you can see, everything is huge. I just want to know if this is worth working and cleaning up.
Thank you kindly in advance.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

I should mention, the last pic was taken today, the middle of the 4th week from seed. The other pics were taken a week ago. They were given 2 days of darkness last weekend and put out in the greenhouse to flower. Early male banana's can reach a full centimeter in length.
Did I say big?
Peace, God bless

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am growing two different Mexican modern strains. Both look like yours. Mine are Lime Green and Zacatecas. Fat leaves and stocky so crossed with Afghan as I am sure yours are. Euphoric and nice high from the Zacatecas and somewhat spiritual.

Almost everything down there is indica crossed sad to say. Still you can find good ones. The super trip weed of old is there somewhere still I think.

rolandomota

You have that caquita de chango spanish for monkey shit. If you have ever been to the zoo monkey shit has a distinct weed like skunky aroma that's why the name is monkey shit it's probably 6 months from seed to finished flower I doubt this will take 6 months flowering

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
It looks like the Indicas are starting to conquer the world. I wouldn't recognize that as a Mexican strain unless it was pointed out to me.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi SolarLogos,

They don't look like the old pure mexican sativas from yesteryear, they look more like the new sativa/indica mixes so widely spread around most parts of Mexico since the late 80s.
Anyway, your plants look super healthy and have great hybrids traits, hope they show interesting sativas traits during flowering and in the finished product.

Best wishes with them! :)

SolarLogos

I am growing two different Mexican modern strains. Both look like yours. Mine are Lime Green and Zacatecas. Fat leaves and stocky so crossed with Afghan as I am sure yours are. Euphoric and nice high from the Zacatecas and somewhat spiritual.

Almost everything down there is indica crossed sad to say. Still you can find good ones. The super trip weed of old is there somewhere still I think.
Funny that you mentioned Lime Green and Zacatecas, because I smoked and talked with these guys for the week I was there and one of them mentioned both Lime Green and Zacatecas when we were talking about this strain, but with my Spanish and his English, some things weren't completely understandable.
We booked a trip to Jamaica, but I heard it's getting commercialized too. Might have to do the taxi thing.

You have that caquita de chango spanish for monkey shit. If you have ever been to the zoo monkey shit has a distinct weed like skunky aroma that's why the name is monkey shit it's probably 6 months from seed to finished flower I doubt this will take 6 months flowering
That is great information to know, thanks a lot. I'm hoping it only takes a couple of months of flower. If so, I'll do an open pollination and keep my eyes out for a good keeper for making hybrids.

It looks like the Indicas are starting to conquer the world. I wouldn't recognize that as a Mexican strain unless it was pointed out to me.

Hi SolarLogos,

They don't look like the old pure mexican sativas from yesteryear, they look more like the new sativa/indica mixes so widely spread around most parts of Mexico since the late 80s.
Anyway, your plants look super healthy and have great hybrids traits, hope they show interesting sativas traits during flowering and in the finished product.

Best wishes with them! :)
I too had heard that a lot of the weed in Mexico were crossed with Indica, but I haven't been down there to see in a while. Once they finish flowering, I'll give you a quick update and see if it was all worth while.
Thank you everyone for your input. I certainly feel like I may know, or have a better idea of what I have.
Peace, God bless

JimMuscles

That seed is awesome! Looks kinda like an Ace seed. AKA how its supposed to be. Im lovin it!

After slight experience buying seeds, I realized that Ace Seeds are the best. They germinate way better than the competition and look great too. I read you keep the stock fresh. Keep up the good work.

PS im growing Ace Seeds right now. Woot woot!

therevverend

Veteran
The color of the stem and petioles, the shape of the leaves and the plants, rings a bell in my mind. I know I've seen something Mexican very similar in the 90s but there's too many bong hits in the intervening years to place it. There's rare wide-leaf Mexican strains that pre-date the influx of the modern hybrids in the 90s. Grown in the mountainous regions. I remember dark purple coloring and a tendency to show intersex traits. Amazing and exotic smell ranging from rank to fruity.

Of course it's unlikely that this is it. Mexican Indicas have always been extremely rare. However you rarely see this deep a purple among the modern hybrids. They'll turn purple from cold or show purple highlights but it's rare to see the deep dark purple like these plants. And the old Mexican purple sativas were a treat I wish I had one of those!

Keep us informed how it goes! I'm very curious to see how this strain turns out.

SolarLogos

Monkey Shit update

Monkey Shit update

It has been just over 7 weeks since I put these girls outside and flipped the lights in the flower room. It took almost 5 weeks just to show hairs after going from the veg room to flower room and greenhouse. They have been slow, but they are finally starting to stack up the buds and there are quite a bit of sugar leaves. They finally stopped stretching, but there is the one narrower leave pheno that I think is still stretching. We were gone for a few days and the change was very noticeable, so I expect things to start moving along hopefully.
They are pretty untamed. A lot of overgrowth/over-branching, vertical branching and I have one plant that has two branches coming out of the same knuckle on each side of the main stalk on the bottom. I'm not cleaning out the branches right now, just more or less observing to see how they go.
Two have pink/magenta? pistils, some are compact, others taller, more narrow leafed. One actually smells like juicyfruit gum or blueberry gum, but still with that funk in the background. A couple have a nice sweet smell, but for the most part, they stink! When I walk in the greenhouse, I'm hit with a rotten skunky smell.

Most of the wide main shader leaves are gone and the leaves on this one are more narrow leaf.

Way over-crowding, very branchy.

I'm not sure if the cooler temps at night can cause the pinkish pistils?

This one stretched forever. Hope it is finally done!

Some early sugar on top.

I'll try to get some more picks up in a week or two when the flowers start to take more shape.
Thanks for stopping by.
Peace, God bless

JimMuscles

Cool bro. they look weird with all those knuckles. I still love that giant seed. Looks like good buds gonna form there!

SolarLogos

Cool bro. they look weird with all those knuckles. I still love that giant seed. Looks like good buds gonna form there!
Thanks JimMuscles. I try not to update this much, since it's an Ace forum, but there are some nice changes in them, purple hairs, new smells, growth, resin, etc. I will try to get pics up tomorrow.
Peace, God bless

therevverend

Veteran
It took almost 5 weeks just to show hairs after going from the veg room to flower room and greenhouse. They have been slow, but they are finally starting to stack up the buds and there are quite a bit of sugar leaves. They finally stopped stretching, but there is the one narrower leave pheno that I think is still stretching. We were gone for a few days and the change was very noticeable, so I expect things to start moving along hopefully.

5 weeks of 12/12 before showing hairs? What an oddball strain. It could be a hybrid but it can't be 100% Afghani. Wouldn't finish in time. I've said it many times but leaf shape doesn't always tell you much about a plant's origins. I'm thinking high altitude equatorial strain? I don't know enough to say which is exciting in today's cannabis world. Don't be shy about keeping us updated!

SolarLogos

Update

Update

I was planning to move this thread to a more appropriate forum, however, there has been some interest by some on here, but today, I crossed one of the ladies with a Honduran x GT4, so if all goes well, that cross will be getting posted on here. So if it's alright with Dubi, I'll continue to post, but I will try not to post often so as not to take up the forum.
One hermied about 3.5 weeks ago and rather than cull her, I isolated her outside to bear the elements for observation. So far, she is very resistant to cold, mold, mildew and most insects this time of year.
She has endured many nights of 33F, rain 4-5 days straight with overcast warm weather in between. Regular scoping has shown no signs of mites, aphids, eggs, damage of any kind, other than some snail damage on a couple outer shader leaves.
In the center between my fingers, you can see an open pollen sack.
I also learned, these are very sensitive to Nitrogen, I mean really sensitive. I'm growing in coco/perlite, was initially going to use chemical nutes, but instead chose Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom soil formula, 1-4-5. I normally feed 500 ppm every 5 days. I've been giving my Honduran crosses 800 ppm of the same nutes. I gave my indoor plants that and got bad leaf curl and had to flush them. My indoor grow will get posted below after the OD.

Here is a possible example as well.

This one is shooting branches out of the flowers now. I don't know if that is something wild in the strain, but I suspect that it is still pulling some N out of the soil. I used regular over the counter potting soil on the greenhouse plants (coco is just indoors) and haven't fed her any N, so I assume she uses very little N and still has some in the soil she is using. The other possibility is that we are at 12 hours 23 minutes as of today and maybe she doesn't like the days getting longer? However, she started pushing these bud branches about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:

SolarLogos

More updates

More updates

Here is my favorite plant and the one I pollinated.
She has long purple petioles, but only on top, the bottom is green. Here leaves are more defined, less rounded as the others. Huge stems though and huge leaves make it hard to notice the individual foxtailing that goes on in these buds. Lots of purple stems. She has a sweet tropical fruit smell and pine, very nice aroma.

Purple pistils!

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Here is the girl with the purple pistils everywhere. She smells like fermenting sweet floral smell.

Another girl. All the flowers have this giant foxtailing (like on top here) in between nodes and leaves

The bushy one. I cleared away the branches in the second pic so you can see how bushy she is. She really would have needed all inward facing branches removed early on, but I'm just studying this strain for now.

Last edited:

SolarLogos

And the last one outdoors

And the last one outdoors

Here is the last greenhouse plant. She has a subtle floral smell, nothing perfumy or too fragrant, almost like an orchid, blossom on a fruit tree, quite mild though:

The skunky and foul odors have been gone for about 3 weeks now. Walking into the greenhouse smells very nice now!
Ok, now for the indoor girls

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Indoors

Indoors

Here are the 3 I have left indoors. As you can see, they did not like the 800 ppm and had to get flushed. I can't imagine 1-4-5 would be too much N for these girls.

Thanks for stopping by and for the interest.
Peace, God bless

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Another thing I should point out, if you look at most of the bud pics, they just recently started spitting out single leafs, most are 3 fingers. Seems like they are just starting to flower, rather than being in week 11. Maybe the guys in Mexico were right about flowering really long.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Malawi x Honduran indoors update

Malawi x Honduran indoors update

I removed the post, sorry posted in the wrong thread.

Latest posts

Latest posts