What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mexican Brick Weed

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
poorly treated mexi plants from brickweed...i made lots of seeds...yeehaw..they do have one thing ...VIGOR..so they are getting crossed with quite a few good strains...sour bubble and black domina x bubbleberry cross already done..seeds harvested ...haven't decieded what will be next from my collection ..maybe critical mass and pot of gold.....plants were started by a friend and abused,had mites and i just didn't want to deal with them so i pollinated them and moved them to a secluded area to finish...a few more pics in my gallery

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
The stone on the "Christmas tree" aka Aztec gold, hens tooth, or sexy mexi. When grown out was very clear. Not a hit of indica sedation. Because it was so clear and had no sedation it made the overall effects a very mild experience. Giant buds and took five or six months or something ridiculous to ripen. Smell was a nondescript spice and fuel. Nothing to write home about.

It was a very interesting plant to smoke and grow but ultimately you see why this sort of weed was replaced for both growers and smokers.

Very interesting as well is I smoked the weed as commercial brick weed as well. It was good, but nondescript. Not really a different feeling than regular skunk or something. They always say about curing sativas for months before you smoke them. I would have liked to try this weed with a LONG cure. It's effects may have gotten heavier with time. The brick weed it was from had heavier effects.

I have grown quite a bit of mexi brick and pure sativas are pretty rare and increasingly more so. In my experience most mexi brick is Pretendica. That is just slang. I understand it means different things to different people but I always explained pretendica as a Seed bank strain that adapted to Mexican climate. They look like an indica hybrid but grow kinda airy buds and take longer to flower. Basically a generic cash crop strain that adapted to flowering from seed and growing in warmer conditions.

If you grow outside on the gulf coast or much of the southern US you pretty much need the pretendica. It is all that will grow here. Seed bank seeds are too delicate. Even the ones meant for outside. You need true bush weed seeds if you want a realistic chance of a guerilla crop.

Longcock

I get what you guys are saying. I dry my sour diesel kind of like this. I will dry it(4-5 days), trim it, then put the whole crop in a contractor garbage bag(about 4-5lbs). Leave over night. Then I lay down a tarp and layout all the buds. Let buds get crispy again(about 24 hrs) then back into contractor garbage bag.(repeat process 2-3 times) The buds compact on their own from the weight of themselves. Then I vacuum seal them. I do all this for a semi cure or sweating so they wont mold in the vacuum sealed bags. It always turns out better when I vacume seal after all the sweating. It makes the buds smell and taste better but not sure about the high.
My theory on this is I weigh out 1gram for joints. Now if I were to take fluffy buds vs the semi compact buds and just eye out a joints worth, I would be smoking less of the fluffy stuff even though they look about the same weight. Hence I would get higher from the denser vacuum sealed buds.

S

sourpuss

Def changes. Breaking the resin heads with pressure allows oxidation to happen quicker. Take an early harvest and press and slight cure will bring out the stoneyness. Quite sure it has to do with rupturing resi heads and oxidation degradation.

Tricks of the trade shhhhhh.... haha

EastCoast710

I always find it amusing when the snobs scoff at brick. Sometimes it's the only thing available, especially in smaller towns in states where the cannabis scene is still way behind the legal states. But some brick weed is not bad at all. Yes, much of it is low quality - lots of seeds due to lack of culling males - and poor processing, as was mentioned. But if you find a good hook up you might be surprised when some light green, super compact batch kicks your ass!

the reason we are snobs is because we grow our own.. I was called a piece of shit for not hitting someones swag blunt.. lol. its like no.. I believe that blunt should have been flushed.. not me

MgoKush

Def changes. Breaking the resin heads with pressure allows oxidation to happen quicker. Take an early harvest and press and slight cure will bring out the stoneyness. Quite sure it has to do with rupturing resi heads and oxidation degradation.

Tricks of the trade shhhhhh.... haha

Exactly. Hash is a prime example. Take some straight out of the your bubble bag basicly keef. Then full melt the rest. Google full melt. There's many ways to do this. I use the hot glass bottle technique. If its a hot sunny day you can this by working it in your hands. No Pakistanian or Indian would even think about smoking it without doing this first. What your doing is exactly what's mentioned above breaking the resin glands to form oxidization or rusting. This will be way better than the unbroken resin heads straight out of the bag. Take it one step further and take some of the full melt an jar cure it just like you would bud. This ads fermentation to the already oxidized resin heads. So it will be even better yet. There is more reasoning to Jar Curing marijuana then to just get the flavor or smell of it better. You're also putting the marijuana into an oxidation fermentation from being in the jar.

Homebrewer

Veteran
Mexican brick plants below. I went through 22 beans recently and only found one that was 'good'. Mostly hybrids in effect. Aromas were mostly piney, minty, and dirty earthy/skunky. The average plant would get you high but wouldn't stick around for all that long. The highs were really unique and unrefined which was good and bad at times. Nearly all of them threw nanners 2 weeks before harvest.

The plant below was the 'good' one I found. Sativa-dom in effect with a little stoniness, some munchies, some giggles, and only a mild comedown. She tastes like peaches.

picture.php

This one was a little more on the dirty/earthy/skunky side. Stoney, some munchies, hybrid head high with a pleasant and smiley buzz. She was a little more on the unique side in a good way.

picture.php

My take-away was that one would have to get lucky whilst going though hundreds of these beans to find something really legit and as good as what is available to us today. And while it's fun to dig through some of these beans, it's a total gamble too.

blays0r

Mexican Sativa mother.

picture.php

A crazy thirsty girl. Grows extremely fast and lanky. Begins flowering quickly but takes a long time to finish - about 90 days. Upon flowering, tons of super thin single finger leaves develop. Produces spindly colas that work their way up the branch to produce really long "donkey dongs." Dries and cures into darker, almost brownish nugs with a pleasant, earthy spice scent. A smooth whispy smoke with a light, uplifting high and an interesting cerebral quality. Ideal for lazy days outdoors; wandering the beach or maybe a weekend camping.

blays0r

Mexican brick plants below. I went through 22 beans recently and only found one that was 'good'. Mostly hybrids in effect. Aromas were mostly piney, minty, and dirty earthy/skunky. The average plant would get you high but wouldn't stick around for all that long. The highs were really unique and unrefined which was good and bad at times. Nearly all of them threw nanners 2 weeks before harvest.

The plant below was the 'good' one I found. Sativa-dom in effect with a little stoniness, some munchies, some giggles, and only a mild comedown. She tastes like peaches.

View Image

This one was a little more on the dirty/earthy/skunky side. Stoney, some munchies, hybrid head high with a pleasant and smiley buzz. She was a little more on the unique side in a good way.

View Image

My take-away was that one would have to get lucky whilst going though hundreds of these beans to find something really legit and as good as what is available to us today. And while it's fun to dig through some of these beans, it's a total gamble too.

Nice! You say you went through 22 beans to find those keepers. How was the quality of the brick, though? Having a good quality starting point helps, of course.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Home Brewer that is a good post. When I would grow weed with them I would have hundreds of seeds. I would pop them in batches as large as I could fit. After a week I would kill all but the absolute most vigorous ones, then germinate another fresh batch.

In the south the idea was to get a good bush weed mom that could grow outdoors, and keep a clone of it around inside. To find a good mom you would go through dozens and dozens of seeds and just be a super nazi about it. Kill everything that doesn't live up to "uber" ideals.

When dealing with bush weed seeds first you need good source material ( high quality brick weed) and then you need a large selection. Literally dozens or more. Sounds like a lot but you just kill them while they are tiny. Lots of them will show deformities anyway.

High numbers then just select the best and kill the rest. If you are serious about it, like trying to find a few good moms for an outdoor patch in the South, then you can realistically expect to keep one in fifty. Maybe more, maybe less, depending on lots of things. What you consider "good" weed, and the conditions it is grown in mostly.

Homebrewer

Veteran
Nice! You say you went through 22 beans to find those keepers. How was the quality of the brick, though? Having a good quality starting point helps, of course.

These beans were gifted to me by someone who lives near the boarder. All he knows about the bricks is that they 'came from the south of Mexico' via some people he knows. I never saw the herb, only the beans. But that is a good point about 'good brick herb' yielding more potential than 'bad brick herb'.

Home Brewer that is a good post. When I would grow weed with them I would have hundreds of seeds. I would pop them in batches as large as I could fit. After a week I would kill all but the absolute most vigorous ones, then germinate another fresh batch.

In the south the idea was to get a good bush weed mom that could grow outdoors, and keep a clone of it around inside. To find a good mom you would go through dozens and dozens of seeds and just be a super nazi about it. Kill everything that doesn't live up to "uber" ideals.

When dealing with bush weed seeds first you need good source material ( high quality brick weed) and then you need a large selection. Literally dozens or more. Sounds like a lot but you just kill them while they are tiny. Lots of them will show deformities anyway.

High numbers then just select the best and kill the rest. If you are serious about it, like trying to find a few good moms for an outdoor patch in the South, then you can realistically expect to keep one in fifty. Maybe more, maybe less, depending on lots of things. What you consider "good" weed, and the conditions it is grown in mostly.

I make a lot of crosses on the side and have a number of things that I look for when selecting plants. I definitely looked for those traits when going through these 22 beans and wound up with about 8 females that were worth flowering out. None of them were bad, mind you. But just because I selected for nice aromas, good structure, and resin doesn't make the smoke good either. And ultimately that's what I was after: good smoke.

blays0r

the reason we are snobs is because we grow our own.. I was called a piece of shit for not hitting someones swag blunt.. lol. its like no.. I believe that blunt should have been flushed.. not me

I hear ya! And to each their own. I was referring to people who think all mexi brick is garbage. Some is, some is not.

picture.php

Last edited:

EastCoast710

I hear ya! And to each their own. I was referring to people who think all mexi brick is garbage. Some is, some is not.

But I do think you should have hit that blunt. Nothing wrong with some herb that has style and confidence lol
Now if it were schwag, I might understand... :biggrin:

nah man.. mexi brick. has changed. ever since they realized the genetics make half the shit.. they ended up I'm sure paying some cali dudes to make em a shit ton of seeds that would do good down there.. as they really prefer to grow from seed..

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
funally figured out how to post pics I think

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 36

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Unfortunately I can only post one at a time? Dunno. Can't figure out posting pics from the phone.

Looks good Motaco!

Is that from Mexican bagseed?

How does it taste and smell? Smoke report (differences from the bag vs grown out seeds would be cool)?

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Yeah that is mexi brick. Lots of more pics in my gallery, the gallery is mislabeled though. Photos labeled Aztec gold, pretendica, are grown from that brick weed that I also have pics of in there