What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica - The Search for Trip Weed

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
in 40+ yrs of tokin, never had anything approaching 'trip-weed'... still looking...

just started some golden tiger, we r approx. 90 days into the grow (50day veggin, 40 into flower) 3 seeds sowed, only 1 lady... sharing 3000watts with other ladies... maybe the golden toger will be it... here's hoping

orfeas

Veteran
G' day TB!
I've been meaning to ask you (for sometime now) to allow for some inconsistancy/vagueness in my writing due to my not being a native speaker nor living in an English speaking country.
Therefore, next time you sense a hint of accusation/offence in my posts, please think twice as I've gone way off attacking dispositions since quite a while now...

As for ferts, I take it for self-evident that manure IS fertilizer and I tend to apply it only when the soil hasn't been self fertilized as C.C. very explicitly outlines it.
I know an old fart who's been cultivating(to make a buck) for fifty years now without using any ferts nor compost and has had excellent crops. Again, as C.C. mentioned all he does is leaving his plants in the ground and just plows right after harvest.
I suppose the old man has never heard of Fukuoka but paradoxically enough he's been applying his philosophy:)
Bottom line, score of the game: Fukuoka vs Monsando = 1-0! (if not more goals!)

yoss33

Veteran
Yesterday I tried the first immature samples of the Zamaldelica tree that I have dying in the beginning of flowering. It already has some resin and while about 4 times less potent than what I consider good potency, it's getting me high. As a disclaimer for the following lines, I'd like to note that I'm currently used to smoking pure Haze and everything feels heavy and dirty after it.
The high is not bad, though I hope it gets better with maturing and curing. It is focused and alert, cold blooded, not emotional at all. I expected it to be more clear, with visual shapness, but while there's lots of adrenaline in it, there's also some fuzziness. It is not euphoric, it even kills the euphoria of Haze smoked before that. Yet, it is not paranoid, just cold trippy staring-at-the-wall type. It has the specific african body feeling - body buzz/vibration/high-frequency tension. What impressed me was the warm blood rush in the head - I felt my whole head red, warm, and of higher pressure for the first 15 minutes. It wasn't an uncomfortable feeling though, it was something like the rush of poppers. It reminded me of the description of Zamal x Thai that another member here, VanVulpen, described as putting a helmet. I'll wait before taking new samples as it definitely needs to produce more resin in order to become really trippy and develop that "scary" feeling.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Orfeas,

I appreciate you taking the extra effort to make contributions on this thread in a language that is not your native tongue. Thank you very much.

Yoss33 -I am pleased to hear that you are finding that the early demised Zamaldelica is worth smoking, tasty, and strong enough to show its character. Sounds promising. I'm getting the impression that it seems a bit trance like. At your thread, Zamaldelica grow outdoors at 44 * N, I read about the taste. My seedlings smell sweet carrot, ZD1, and spicy carrot, ZD2, but when I rub the stems, I smell lemon menthol and a medicine smell that almost makes me nauseous, especially the ZD1. I get a strong reaction to the smell, but I also get a strong reaction from the sour catpiss aroma from Thai and I love it as I associate it with power.

:biggrin:

Your descriptions clearly show your love for Haze, even after you have been smoking it regularly for almost a year. Reading this is thrilling for me as I have a Haze dominant plant, SAGE x Purple Haze Thai, more than half way finished. I'm LOVING the aromas right now. Every day I race home from work to catch a few minutes with it before the lights go off. In the mornings, the aromas lean towards the sweet and fruity. In the evenings they turn sharper and spicier. I can't wait to try it.

Thanks for your updates at this thread,

ThaiBliss

Rory Borealis

Veteran
My fertilizer mixes include bird guano, aged fish meal, seaweed, and even green alfalfa pellets in the soil. I believe anything is fertilizer that can burn the plant from excess nutrient salts.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss,

Is your seabird guano hign nitrogen or high phosphorus? I use high phosphorous Indonesian guano and I notice that I get better results from my ACE sativas when I reduce dosage to 1 teaspoon per gallon (during flowering) when used in a tea with worm castings and molasses. the soil itself is plain potting soil with nothing else added except the tea.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
ThaiBliss,

Is your seabird guano hign nitrogen or high phosphorus? I use high phosphorous Indonesian guano and I notice that I get better results from my ACE sativas when I reduce dosage to 1 teaspoon per gallon (during flowering) when used in a tea with worm castings and molasses. the soil itself is plain potting soil with nothing else added except the tea.

Rory,

The bird guano I use is for phosphorous. N-P-K = 0-8-1 I use tiny amounts with tiny amounts of fertilizers from others sources. I try to use lots of different sources so I won't lack micro or trace nutrients, for instance, soybean meal, kelp, aged fish emulsion, humic acid, and a few different commercial blends. The bird guano helps keep the nitrogen low because most commercial blends have more nitrogen than what I prefer.

I'm trying to get as close as I can to organic hydroponic, but I'm not an absolute purist. I grow in hydroton to avoid spider mite and thrip infestations which are rampant in our area. I wish I was successful at soil indoor, but I have spent many years and lots of money failing at it.

Here are a couple of plants from my other grow, link below, that are more than half way done. I believe that if the older big fan leaves are not turning yellow and falling off, then I am over fertilizing nitrogen. Even the greener buds and leaves look a little bleached out by the HPS and MH lights in this picture.

picture.php

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

looks real good TB....

when I ordered seeds, I was beetween malawii and zamadelica.....when my malawii beans arrived I was thrilled, and now after reading some of your Zamal quotes, I´m not quite sure I made the right choice =/ ..... man, to tell ya the truth, I really wish I had Time and space to grow out the whole ACE catalog... some mighty strains they have

I sttill am thrilled about the malawiis, but i guess |I will have to find a way for these zamal genetics to find their way to my grow!

MostlyMe

Veteran
Sorry if I am intruding in this thread too much, but would the following general characterizations be accurate?

* African sativa's have an aggressive, overwhelming, racy high
* South-American sativa's have a friendly, mild, happy high
* Thai sativa's have a clear, energetic high

Feel free to correct me, or add adjectives :D

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Sorry if I am intruding in this thread too much, but would the following general characterizations be accurate?

* African sativa's have an aggressive, overwhelming, racy high
* South-American sativa's have a friendly, mild, happy high
* Thai sativa's have a clear, energetic high

Feel free to correct me, or add adjectives :D

MostlyMe,

Please don't feel like you are intruding. I like seeing people interested in what I'm interested in. That is my whole purpose being here.

I hope others will chime in because I have little experience with African sativas. I have quite a bit with Colombian, and a fair amount with Thai. As always, there are variations but here are my generalities for the experiences that I have had.

Colombian - I would never call the strongest ones mild. I have had extremely potent bud from there. I have also had weak buds. The weak ones seemed to make me tired, but the strong ones were relaxing without being sleepy, dreamy, euphoric, and trippy. The trippier ones were different than Thai trippy. More like half trippy, half drunken. Not really inducing that "profound" feeling. I can't really think of a better description than drunken, though it deserves better. Most buds were sweet and earthy. Some were more spicy incenses and more cerebral, less drunken, in effect.

Thai - All the Thai Sticks I ever smoked were extremely powerful, long lasting, trippy, and profound. Always had a distinct delayed reaction. It would trick people into smoking too much. I often had smoked joints of top Colombian between 3 friends, but never in my life smoked so much Thai. One hit could last 6 hours. That is how we often smoked it, taking on big hit and holding deep like it was precious. It was, because we only got it about once a year. Probably never had smoked more than 3 or 4. Would never have a desire to. Extreme sensitivity to the surroundings, and energetic to a fault. Often jittery and paranoia inducing for the first hour or more. Many regular smokers did not like it at all. The smells were spicy, peppery, sour, and citrus rind. Makes you want to retract your nose quickly after a good sniff.

African - I've only grown a few Africans. The first was from Kenya, I think. I grew it outside, and it was weak. I believe it may have petered out before it got fully ripe. Bangi Haze was very nice. It is the kind of weed, like Mexican, that I used to look down upon when I was holding good Colombian. This kind is rare around here now, and I appreciate it much more. In fact, I love it. Energetic, euphoric, and happy weed. Irie is the best description that I can come up with. This weed makes me a better person. I'm not sure how much is from the African Congo side, or the Nepalese side. If it were stronger, I might leave my feet and float around.

Hope this helps. I'd love to hear other people's experiences. I don't think two people always have the same reactions to the same weed.

Peace,

ThaiBliss

Painfull

Hi ThaiBliss> Always good to see your posts and pics of your grows. From what I have seen posted on the Zamal strain, it looks like you may have found your trip weed:bigeye:
To get any strain that is pure today is rare. Back in the 60-70ties lots of sativas were landrace strains. While today sadly they have crossed the most of that out of them. Trying to judge strains today from Africa,Thailand, and Columbia based on the old time landraces from years ago is hard to do. Looking forward to your smoke report.:yappy: Pain

idiit

Veteran
"I live and grow in a Coastel stretch called the Wild Coast where you will find Durban and the Transkei, 2 major growing regions in South Africa and the World.
So I am exposed to many different variaties of DP, Swazi, Kei, Malawi, Lesotho, etc.

Here is a simple run down of a few and best growing conditions:

The flowering times are generally longer and the plants will like their space more than a hybradised skunk for example which will grow smaller.
The highs all tend to be smooth, euphoric, crasy highs.
Bright colours, very enjoyeable.

Swazi-
tends to be a chunky bud or a long slender bud.
With big thick resinous buds ala Hashplant.
This bud grows with an unmistakeable hashy consistency and a deep hashy odour.
I`ve grown swazi that looks, tastes and smokes different.
You get your chunky orange buds, your dark green sticky buds, etc.
All good and all an awesome stoning.
I find swazi to be more of a cerebral couch lock while still being sativa.
Almost more of a concentration herb.
Swazi generally grows in a nice bush, short stocky but can become big and fat.
Varies between Long slender buds and short chunky nuggets ala Northern lights.
Swazi SKunk, Swazi red, Swazi, etc.

Durban Poison-
I find grows in different forms as well from a big-headed variaty to my
favorite being a small headed strain that litterally makes you dizzy you`re so high, this is the one used to make the famous suger-sticks.
The well spoken about aniceed(sp) flavour persists with any DP variaty.
This year I`ve been working with a rare DP that grows with pink hairs rather than white.
Interesting strain.
Always leaves you feeling soo happy.
The Durban I have grown is generally alot longer flowering than the advertised DP from seedbanks wihich has SK#1 to help it along.

Transkei & Lesotho-
Lesotho Mountains are also in the Eastern Cape.
Transkei is also in the eastern cape.
Lesotho and Transkei buds are awesome, both with a strong fruity aroma and taste with a serious stoning.
Varying between cerebral high and downright silent stoning.

The thing with the Transkei is that you can walk in the hills from village to village and hut to hut and in each hut you`ll most likely experience vastly different bud.

You can however identify a few generally superior strains.
Cofee Bay, being a dark green , red haired bud.
With a soft smokey smell and a lovely guava after taste.
Delivers one of the most intense stonings I`ve ever had.
I had to lie on the floor because I kept falling off the chair.
I couldn`t even sit on the floor because I kept falling over.

Undumbi between coffee bay and port st johns will be where you`ll find the largest variaty of bud anywhere.
I`ve walked in fields of purple and yellow and then gone a minute down a hill and walked in a field of nothing but sticky lime green buds with the odd Thick Swazi plant thrown in.
Undumbi I find is a very fruity taste, very sticky and a lovely light green colour.
Also one of my favorites more for sheer enjoyment of smoke than the actual high.
I personally will not always grow the strongest herb but will grow a particular herb if it stands out to me.
I find Undumbi normally will grow with some seriously resinous sticky buds that are just too good and tasty to ignore.

Then comes Port St Johns between Durban and Undumbi Area.
This will either be a cross between Kei and DP or straight DP genetics.
The differences are easy to note with DP having a smaller , typical sativa style leaf.
The transkei being a larger leaf with thinner leaf patterns.
The Bud can vary between Large sticky buds to your perfect smaller DP that is quite honestly scary sometimes.
The kind of herb that makes you dizzy or go blind for a few secs.
We grew a christmas tree Pt St Johns that smelt and tasted of Ice cream.

Malawi -
Most Malawi is still to this day found in cobs which is the malawi heads wrapped in a Mealie leaf and cured like this.
Awesome stoning, very cerebral while incredibly powerful at the same time.
A trait of many SA strains is the powerful sedatory effects.
Not like an indica but more of a very warm positive stoned feeling.
Very relaxing
Malawi is great, with a positivly amasing earthy, hash smell.
Like good Red or Gold Seal.

Congo Black was some of the darkest herb I`ve ever seen with a monster hash aroma and taste while still beeing fruity.
Massive massive seeds.
The congo in my opinion is very closely related to Swazi.
It is a very similar stoning.
The darker appearence is what distinguishes it and ofcourse the seeds.
However a sign of a good swazi is also massive seeds.

Almost all African Strains are generally long flowering plants and are big yielders when grown correclty and pruned well for maximum bud exposure.
The also like to be bent and tyied and in general made to work."

"Strain report on Swazi and it`s myriad of local crosses.

So from my experience I`ve noted 2-3 different variances.
Firstly my favorite, swazi skunk.

Swazi Skunk- grows in nice long, thick, very chunky indica like buds.
Grows in lovely autumn colours, red, oranges, light greens, etc.
The tastes is nothing short of hashy, yet fruity.
The bud itself is very compact and scissors are need to cut through the crystal laiden arms
The plants I find can vary from short stocky plants to tall lambsbread trees.
The High is a very strong cerebral high with more of a couchlock effect than most strains.
The smoke leaves a fantastic Afghan hash taste in the mouth.
The nature of the High and look of the bud leads me to believe there is a slight indica hybrid somewhere in it`s family tree.
One of my favs.

Swazi red - is a far greener, almost dark green to black.
Covered in red hairs as well as a good crystal count.

The bud tends to grow in massive thick buds, they look like thousands of hairs neatly packed in breadloaves.
I`ve seen this plant grow from short stocky christmas tree, to massive trees with thcik heavy buds that look just like bread loaves, in shape and thickness.
The smoke tends to be a very earthy taste and after effect.
With a controlled, smooth high.
More of a sativa in this one and the high prooves it.
Now I wouldnt sya it is a very strong strain but if you like very smooth focussed highs then this one is a keeper.
I smoke loads of this herb and always find I can continue daily tasks quite easily while still feeling a pure high.

Swazi Gold - this is very closely related to the Swazi Skunk but I feel the bud is even more indica based than the previous 2.
Very chunky bud with an incredible long lasting smell that you can`t get rid of.
I had a kg of this herb in my boot for a week and after that there was no removing the smell from the upholstry.
It`s awesome.
The bud itself is super strong with an incredible smoke and high.
One of those buds you smoke and while your smoking you allready know by the taste that the high is gonna be great.
The seeds as with other swazis are massive dark brown seeds.
Vigirous growth and dark purple stems.

Swazi Gold and Swazi SKunk, although similar are vastly different in taste and high.
Swazi Gold is a more intense couchload(head mash) while the Skunk is a nice combo of the 2.
The bud is low in leaf, while the Swazi green is a higher leaf to calyx ratio.

As with most South African Genetics, this bud grows failry odourless until middle to late flower and into harvest when it takes on a fantastic smell and taste.
Only compareable to a good gold seal hash."

"Zimbabwe Rooibaart -

This bud was a pure sativa smoke with a serious narcotic stoning.
Small nuggets covered in red.
A very smokey taste.
But the high is very heavy and narcotic, leaves you quiete and dazed. Left my friend's mom asking him if I was taking any medication because I looked wasted.
Very good herb and very strong.
Not one that makes the rounds too often though."

^post has been around for a while on different forums. original source is:

Thx to Panta' alias PTG for this old quote by Derrayld (African seeds

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221687&highlight=Transkei roms post #14

^ a great african breakdown imo

MostlyMe

Veteran
Fascinating reads, shame I can't hand out karma yet. I definitely want to experience those kinds of highs. I got a Zamaldelica and a Panama (both F) going right now, which will be my first pure sativa's and they will cover Africa and South-America. No chance of a thai influence though, and I don't think I will ever grow anything that requires >13 weeks to flower. I think Golden Tiger or Destroyer are my best bet (since I have very little room, I grow fems only).

I am pulling up a seat to follow your quest, TB :)

MostlyMe,

Please don't feel like you are intruding. I like seeing people interested in what I'm interested in. That is my whole purpose being here.

I hope others will chime in because I have little experience with African sativas. I have quite a bit with Colombian, and a fair amount with Thai. As always, there are variations but here are my generalities for the experiences that I have had.

Colombian - I would never call the strongest ones mild. I have had extremely potent bud from there. I have also had weak buds. The weak ones seemed to make me tired, but the strong ones were relaxing without being sleepy, dreamy, euphoric, and trippy. The trippier ones were different than Thai trippy. More like half trippy, half drunken. Not really inducing that "profound" feeling. I can't really think of a better description than drunken, though it deserves better. Most buds were sweet and earthy. Some were more spicy incenses and more cerebral, less drunken, in effect.

Thai - All the Thai Sticks I ever smoked were extremely powerful, long lasting, trippy, and profound. Always had a distinct delayed reaction. It would trick people into smoking too much. I often had smoked joints of top Colombian between 3 friends, but never in my life smoked so much Thai. One hit could last 6 hours. That is how we often smoked it, taking on big hit and holding deep like it was precious. It was, because we only got it about one a year. Probably never had smoked more than 3 or 4. Would never have a desire to. Extreme sensitivity to the surroundings, and energetic to a fault. Often jittery and paranoia inducing for the first hour or more. Many regular smokers did not like it at all. The smells were spicy, peppery, sour, and citrus rind. Makes you want to retract your nose quickly after a good sniff.

African - I've only grown a few Africans. The first was from Kenya, I think. I grew it outside, and it was weak. I believe it may have petered out before it got fully ripe. Bangi Haze was very nice. It is the kind of weed, like Mexican, that I used to look down upon when I was holding good Colombian. This kind is rare around here now, and I appreciate it much more. In fact, I love it. Energetic, euphoric, and happy weed. Irie is the best description that I can come up with. This weed makes me a better person. I'm not sure how much is from the African Congo side, or the Nepalese side. If it were stronger, I might leave my feet and float around.

Hope this helps. I'd love to hear other people's experiences. I don't think two people always have the same reactions to the same weed.

Peace,

ThaiBliss

well, can´t speak much about pure africans, cuz I just got a few seeds that haven´t germinated yet....

about thai weed.... well I have tried about 3 or 4 variaties.... and all of them had in common the "sharp " sour citric smell..... witch to me was Sublime, since here in Sout America, its a very, very hard task to come uppon Thai strains, for a couple of reasons
1 - its from the other side of the world
2- although some might have patience to grow them indoor, it´s not exactly easy to tame these beasts under lamps.... and, electricity here in my country is very expencive....
3- when someone grows some thai indoor, usually they don´t sell, and when grown outdoors, the price is high....

but I must say, Thai weed is very distinct cannabis, its effects are trippy high, very clear, soft on the pallat, very happy high....

and Colombian weed .... ohhh boy, well i´m not the most knolegeble guy arround, but I´ve grown colombian weed many times, and have tried many many many variaties...... Colombia is famous for it´s weed, mostly becaus of its " microclimates" witch makes it possible for you to have a wide range ov diferent weed in a single area, you have highland weed, lowland weed, swag, top notch weed...modern hybrids, oldschool lines...... I´ve seen plants show hashy flavours, woody, fruity, bubblegummy, citric, lemony ..... it is difficult to pin a characteristic on the lumbo because of the many types of weed growing there.....

but I agree with you about some strains making you " drunk" , its a drowsy , confusing feeling.....

the best colombians I have grown , were verry cerebral, sharp hashy, lemony taste, sticky , medium density buds, with LOUD odor.... long lasting up sativa high. and something that happens to me a lot,when I smoke my select cut of Santa Martha Colombian Gold is... after I smoke the joint, I always think someone is roasting coffee, .... there is an intense cofee after taste and smell.... although this line is from the 60´s 70´s .... and, this specific cut being about 5 years old..... she stands toe to toe in comparison with modern hybrids.... she is stroooooong, definatly, not your party weed, not for the fain hearted...if youre not used to heavy smoking, and familiar with pure sativas, you will hate this cut....hahaha

where I live growing your own, or buying quality weed isn´t as common as in other places.... actually its very few people who have access to buds, instead of brick weed...that said, I must say, that my SMCG has made more then 3 people black out......one of those peeps was the hood dealer, at the time he was selling me some hash, so I presented my special lady...hahahaha knocked the fucker to lala land....hahaha :bashhead:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Curious, what different trim jobs are standard on these leafy sativas?

Greetings,

Some of the ones I grow aren't very leafy at all. I deprive nitrogen at the end, so most of the leaves turn yellow and fall off on their own. Of the leaves that stay on, I clip off the big ones, and may or may not give a haircut to the rest.

I transplanted the Zamaldelicas into bigger pots a couple of days ago. I may have waited too long. They looked a bit root bound, and ZD1 looks like it wants to start auto flowering from the root restriction. Whoops! It is too early because they are not big enough yet. I was surprised at the roots since they are not so big, and don't look really healthy either.

ZD1 looked male, then it got some pistils, and now I'm not sure what is going to happen. If it straightens out to be one or the other, I'm going to continue to grow it and make seeds or buds. ZD2 looks solidly female.

Here are both, with ZD1 on the left, and ZD2 on the right:
picture.php

Here is ZD1:
picture.php

ZD2:
picture.php

My flowering cabinet is clearing out, so I may put them under bright lights for 24 hours a day for a while to try and get some good vegetative growth going before flowering. I need that cabinet to get full.

All the Best,

ThaiBliss

:biggrin:

Sforza

Veteran
I am enjoying the thread and learning a good deal. I have smoked a lot of ganja in Jamaica and Colombia but I can remember two times in particular, once on the beach in Negril and once in an apartment in Cartagena, where I got the exceptional high you describe. Back around 1970 I had some Thai stick and it was excellent, so I know what you are going for. Nice clear high. I got some hash from a friend who I met in Negril and got in touch with up in Toronto. He was a Canadian who lived in Toronto. Bought a little bit of hash from him and it was a hell of a trip. It came as a surprise that it was that good.

Funny how more than thirty years later I can still clearly remember those exceptional highs amongst all the other highs.

In each case the guy who turned me on knew what he had and obviously enjoyed sharing a bit of his super stash with a fellow head who could handle and would appreciate an extra special high.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I am enjoying the thread and learning a good deal. I have smoked a lot of ganja in Jamaica and Colombia but I can remember two times in particular, once on the beach in Negril and once in an apartment in Cartagena, where I got the exceptional high you describe. Back around 1970 I had some Thai stick and it was excellent, so I know what you are going for. Nice clear high. I got some hash from a friend who I met in Negril and got in touch with up in Toronto. He was a Canadian who lived in Toronto. Bought a little bit of hash from him and it was a hell of a trip. It came as a surprise that it was that good.

Funny how more than thirty years later I can still clearly remember those exceptional highs amongst all the other highs.

In each case the guy who turned me on knew what he had and obviously enjoyed sharing a bit of his super stash with a fellow head who could handle and would appreciate an extra special high.

Sforza,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is nice to share stories in a community that understands. Compared to my local companions, there are a surprising number of people on ICMAG that are aficionados of strong or unique sativas, especially on ACE's and Cannabiogen's threads. It gives me hope that we won't lose all the strains of yesteryear. Cheers to Dubi for his work.

ThaiBliss

Latest posts

Latest posts