What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help! My plants are drying and I think I spotted mold!

baker187

Hello everyone I am making a post here in hopes to help identify what is going on with my babies. My plants have been hanging for 4 days and i just noticed this white fuzziness on the inside of the top colas of the plant. I have them whole plant drying in my garage with 62 F / 59% RH, with a fan in the room going but not blowing on the plants. Was going to go with a dry trim that is why the sugar leafs are still on. Both plants are pretty small so I didn't think mold would be an issue. So far it seems that only the top colas have the fuzzy look on the inside. Would it be best to just chop the tops off and hope the other nugs are not effected? Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

Pics Attached below =)

Attachments

• Mold 1.jpg
    Mold 1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Mold 2.jpg
    Mold 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 20

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I flower with micron-filtered air, so I haven't run into mold in 15+ years. (I strongly recommend it to those who are not currently doing it)

I DO know about mold, especially how it throws millions of spores rather quickly. I would definitely chop anything which showed mold and remove it from the area. You'll cut down on the chances of the rest molding as quickly.

Personally, since mold is an issue, I would drop the RH and dry the crop a lot quicker. You may lose terpenes, but you'll preserve oil rich flower. ;)

baker187

Do you think it looks like mold in the photo Douglas? Yeah this grow was really just a test grow with what little stuff i already had in my house. Next time ill definitely make sure to filter the air. Gonna chop the top colas off tonight and then raise the heat a little bit to lower RH. The colas with the white fuzz are gonna be complete trash now eh?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
If the bud area has discoloration, likely mold.

Isolate the harvest and pick through it if you must,
but the damage is done and will be present in the entire crop
at time of harvest.

Spores are there, waiting to bloom at exactly the wrong time.

Sanitize the grow area and surroundings, and start again.

Keep us posted on the results.

baker187

There is no discoloration that i have noticed. The nugs all look really good and frosty, just when i inspected real close i noticed the white fuzziness. Gonna chop off the top colas right now =*( Makes me so sad lol

If the bud area has discoloration, likely mold.

Isolate the harvest and pick through it if you must,
but the damage is done and will be present in the entire crop
at time of harvest.

Spores are there, waiting to bloom at exactly the wrong time.

Sanitize the grow area and surroundings, and start again.

Keep us posted on the results.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
nice nug

nice nug

Nice looking nug bro! I've learned the hard way too! If the plant is Indica dominant, I take it off the stem early and slow dry in a shoe box or paper sack if its small! However the sativa's, I leave hanging for a week. I just want to slow the drying down but not too slow!

therevverend

Veteran
Take a picture of the white fuzz I'd be interested to see it.

When fall colors appear on cannabis, reds, purples, browns, yellows, and greens, it's really hard to tell the difference as the cannabis dries. I've driven myself crazy some years until it gets to the point. If I'm not sure it's mold it's probably not. Mold is pretty gross and obvious. A bit of discoloration could be mold but your conditions for drying are excellent and it probably won't spread. If it is mold.
As for the fuzziness I'd remove it and do the reasoning. How long until harvest versus how much dampness is in the forecast versus how much mold there actually is. I won't harvest buds immature if the hairs are less then 50% brown I'll always leave it. Once the hairs brown and caylxes swell it gets more complicated. It takes at least some sun for the resin to mature.
And congratulations beautiful nugs I hope you're able to let it mature.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hello everyone I am making a post here in hopes to help identify what is going on with my babies. My plants have been hanging for 4 days and i just noticed this white fuzziness on the inside of the top colas of the plant. I have them whole plant drying in my garage with 62 F / 59% RH, with a fan in the room going but not blowing on the plants. Was going to go with a dry trim that is why the sugar leafs are still on. Both plants are pretty small so I didn't think mold would be an issue. So far it seems that only the top colas have the fuzzy look on the inside. Would it be best to just chop the tops off and hope the other nugs are not effected? Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

Pics Attached below =)
The 59% RH is probably too high.

I would remove the possibly moldy parts and try to reduce the humidity. A dehumidifyer, a couple of bales of hay if you have a barn.

Also, it is always good to let the soil go really dry in the weeks before harvest. It really shortens drying time. And it makes the weed more potent in my opinion.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
I see it, Baker. For sake of ease I'd say botrytis but there are millions of genera of spores and molds.

Was this grown in a tent or a closet or a room or what? Ever do a spore test in your home or grow/cure space to check for presence of mold in the walls?

Sterilize and sterilize again.

Latest posts

Latest posts