What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Waking up in the city...

Hubbleman

Veteran
Anyone else hate waking up to a city stinch in the morning?

Every morning I open the door to walk my dog I am greeted to a smell of burned animal matter, plastic, tires, fuel and other horrible shit.

In the country I open up the window in the morning and it’s a pleasant scent of flora... so nice.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Coulda swore there's a thread for this....

I think that thread is just about how awesome the country is.

Surely we can simultaneously have a thread devoted to how cities suck :biggrin:

And yeah, I agree OP. Only what I think is worse is the way people douse themselves in toxic plumes of perfume and cologne and walk around forcing everyone to breath in the chemicals they use to cover up their insecurities.

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah.why not?but who actually likes the city?pretty much a given that cities suck most of the time.hell,I don't even like the burbs

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Yeah.why not?but who actually likes the city?pretty much a given that cities suck most of the time.hell,I don't even like the burbs

There are plenty of people who have the impression that the world is just cities with space between them.

I feel really bad for them, but for some people if there isn't an airport they're not going.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The fuckin' noise.

Only playing second fiddle to..

The fuckin' people.

Petrichor is the name given to the scent in the air after a rainfall on dry ground.

I don't know what they call it in the city but it smells like piss, garbage and the stinking masses of humanity.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
.... when I lived in the city I'd wake up and take the dog out and find left-over needles from the night before, never mind the waterfront smell from the sloppy duck turds left in the street.:tongue:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I live in suburban London UK, close-by the River Thames (in Kingston-Upon-Thames), and it is all quite leafy and green around here, with many parks and trees, hedges and herbaceous borders. I am just a mile or so from Richmond Park, and also close to Bushey Park (where King Henry the 8th used to hunt),and Hampton Court, where Henry used to live in the 1500's...Both parks are full of deer and other assorted wildlife. I see foxes and squirrels every day too. A 25 minute bus ride gets me to Kew Botanical Gardens, where you can see/smell and touch just about any species of plant or tree on the planet.

Really its about as good as you can get and also be close to a thriving and interesting city, with many theaters, museums and vast amounts of historical architecture (20 minutes to central London by train). I don't smell burning plastic or anything real nasty in the air or see much if any pollution. The air is quite sweet and very oxygenated actually.

Then of course there is the River Thames at the bottom of my road, where you can go boating or fishing, take a river cruise, ride a bike or just stroll along the tow-path.

Noise levels are generally quite low, and I hear birds singing all of the time. People actually pick up their dog mess here, and the council makes sure the garbage is picked up, where ever it is.

It beats Manila, that's for damn sure.

St. Phatty

Every morning I open the door to walk my dog I am greeted to a smell of burned animal matter, plastic, tires, fuel and other horrible shit.

In the country I open up the window in the morning and it’s a pleasant scent of flora... so nice.

You mean like, homeless people peeing on the sidewalk ?

Actually that's what my wet suit smells like. :woohoo:

That other stuff doesn't sound so good. Burned Animal Matter ? Like when my neighbors burned their taco's - or something else ...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
...better than Manila?

But I thought the queen took yer guns! How is a man supposed to hunt?

Guns are never unobtainable, they are just not necessary at this time, or ever have been in the last 57 years (my age) in the UK to my recollection.

I have lived in other societies where it was necessary basic security to conceal or open carry.

You can't go shooting the Queens deer, unless you are one of the Queens gamekeepers.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guess it depends on which city. It has it's advantages. Easy access, albeit more noise.
In the rural country, having lived for 40 years, we had to buy 2 of everything in case something broke/malfunctioned or stocked up on supplies.

Being citified...culture, shopping advantages and generally everything a wee bit cheaper.

Having the hybrid life (as we do in our venture), both city AND country....that's a wonderful life!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sometimes I wish I were closer to a city just for the convenience it provides.

But I soooo love these hundreds of thousands of acres of green agricultural & forest lands. It's sooooo quiet out here you can hear a bird fart!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Guess it depends on which city. It has it's advantages. Easy access, albeit more noise.
In the rural country, having lived for 40 years, we had to buy 2 of everything in case something broke/malfunctioned or stocked up on supplies.

Being citified...culture, shopping advantages and generally everything a wee bit cheaper.

Having the hybrid life (as we do in our venture), both city AND country....that's a wonderful life!

Yes it really does depend on which city, and how close to the inner city you choose to live. Some inner cities are just awful to live in, and usually 'The Burbs' are much more conducive to harmonious living.

I did live in a very remote coastal area, on an island in SE Asia for a few years, having to travel for an hour and a half by truck to get to the city (Puerto Princessa), and quite enjoyed my time out there, but you do have to take into account emergency situations where you might need to get the emergency help of medical professionals in a hospital, and if you have kids you would need to be close-by good schools, so we did move when the kids starting getting towards school age. We managed to grow or catch a lot of our own foods (rice, veggies, fruits, fish), but still needed to stock up with stuff from the city every couple of weeks.

It was an idyllic and stunningly beautiful place where I could indulge in breeding dogs and even built a prawn hatchery since I had 15 acres to play with with plenty of beachfront. Internet connection was horribly slow, and you had to watch out for such critters as cobras and stink badgers, and insects (Mossie's, Sand Fleas, big Hornets etc)

Maybe one day I will be able to go back there again, once the kids are grown and educated, and finish off my life watching the sun rise over the Sulu Sea once again....oh what a show!

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran

yes totally know what ya mean,,,
lucky you:) living out amongst the green and pleasents,,
taking my car in to the workshop this very morning,,,,,10 minute journey took 40 mins,,,,peeps kicking off cos of being cut up or not let out of a junction,,,,horror stories from the mechanics about customers new high end cars messing up....
i basically live in the middle of Epping Forest so not as bad as where we are moving to in the new year,,
Back to Inner London but its what i and especially my wife know but i get to have a dog so not all bad lol,,,,,,s2:tiphat:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Sun rise over Sulu sea? Sounds cool mon :chin:

picture.php

*'Pow' the Dobie and 'Sky' and 'Zack' her brother (2 Rotts), waiting for me to throw a stick in the Sulu Sea.

It was rarely cool, temperature-wise, and the heat was a concern in the late morning thru to the afternoon, so I did install a big transformer and around 300 meters of wiring around the place to be able to access the local municipal electricity supply which often had brown-outs, sometimes every day for a couple of hours or more, sometimes much longer, which necessitated the installation of 2 generators (one for back-up), just to be able to run lights/fans and a small air-con unit in the bedroom of the beach-house we built, so we could be 'cool' when it really got hot.

There were mainly local fishermen with little 'Banca' boats and farmers around us who mostly lived a subsistence sort of lifestyle.
It was always my dream to escape to a tropical island and build a home, and that is what I did. Then I met a local lady, fell in love and in love we made 2 lovely kids...

For 4 years or so it was a very romantic and gorgeous existence, living in a tropical paradise.