What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeking Critique on Vert Colosseum SOG concept.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I haven't had access to a video camera so I haven't bothered to hang it up. But it exists and I will hang it up by the time I get the new babies into their new medium and get a new video done.

If anybody has money to blow, you can get a disco ball that's 72" (6ft) in diameter for "only" $6,500!

oscthumb.php

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Ok. It's been a couple of days of playing with the positioning of fans and addition of an extra passive intake but I've got temperatures down from the 86+ mark to the 76 range with lights on. It gets as low as 71 with lights out. So if those temps stabilize we are looking for smoother sailing ahead.

Today will be day 5 since cuttings were planted. Should see roots within the next week or so.

D

DHF

Good work Bro...76-71 lights on/off is beyond optimum...5 degree variance.....unheard of.......except fer Bobble after summer`s over.......

I ran mid 80`s with no probs runnin major extraction/air exchange and never got lower than 10 degree increments , but it worked.....

Good luck and holler if I can help.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I pulled one plant at a time to my little "cloning station" which was setup in front of the TV. I watched reruns of natgeo science shows for a couple of hours and took my time with it. I tried to keep them all within 1/4" of being the same size of each other so that I can get relatively uniform growth. This will be double my largest run at a time, so I expect to face new challenges with this grow and hopefully not fuck it up too badly.:thinking:

This'll also be my first real experiment with anything other than hand-watering.

:2cents: appreciated. :respect:given.

This is cloning OCD on HARD MODE mofro!:pimp3:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
This is cloning OCD on HARD MODE mofro!:pimp3:

Heh.

I've done some clone runs with old rusty scissors and a self-made bubble cloner and gotten good results...

but up until now I've been doing staggered harvests. So I could cut 8 clones and really only need 4. This time I wanted to get 70 keepers in the first pass. So I did it with a bit more decorum and was a lot pickier about which clones to take.

Even if none of these take and I have to scrap 'em and start over, my moms will be ready to give me another 100+ if needed.

I just really don't wanna wait that long.

So I'm hoping these ladies will all pull through and I'll be faced with the decision of what to do with the extra 38.

311devon

I'm away for a couple weeks and it's FULL ON HARD MODE everywhere! Yall gotta stop it, I'm about to pee..:yay:

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heh.

I've done some clone runs with old rusty scissors and a self-made bubble cloner and gotten good results...

but up until now I've been doing staggered harvests. So I could cut 8 clones and really only need 4. This time I wanted to get 70 keepers in the first pass. So I did it with a bit more decorum and was a lot pickier about which clones to take.

Even if none of these take and I have to scrap 'em and start over, my moms will be ready to give me another 100+ if needed.

I just really don't wanna wait that long.

So I'm hoping these ladies will all pull through and I'll be faced with the decision of what to do with the extra 38.

grrr I could use those additional 38 cuz I run HARD MODE MOFRO!

A wise man once told me Anti, "This thread is shyte w/o new pictures".

LOL keep it green broseph!:respect::kewlpics::whip:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
A wise man once told me Anti, "This thread is shyte w/o new pictures".

I feels ya. This is the dullest part. Waiting for roots. Clones look exactly like they did when I took the clone pics a week ago.

Moms look just about the way they did before i cut 108 clones, except a lil bushier now.

Once we have roots, we will do regular updates with pics. Until then, nothing worth taking photos of.

Sorry fellas.

Nobody wants to see what happens when these bitches get unleashed more than I do.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
[youtubeif]xZX0f4CL-T8[/youtubeif]

There was an older episode where Marge goes out of town and Homer loses Maggie. So he calls a child-services hotline and they put him on hold and he hears this....

[YOUTUBEIF]Hn-enjcgV1o?t=59s[/YOUTUBEIF]

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Damn Anti... I wouldn't have expected anything less from ya. Another great and well planned design coming to life.

I'm curious about a few things.

How you gunna water all these now? If your still going to go with the dunking method, you should consider picking up a 16''x16'' crate with holes in the bottom that perfectly fits 36 of them mini-tree pots if my memory serves me well. I saw some pics with upside down empty pots to space your plants out and just wanted to say that worked well for me.

You ever give any thought to painting those containers with MicroKote? Have any shots of the roots from a harvested plant?

Once you get everything running, you'll have plenty of things to experiment with maybe cutting the height of the containers down a little and using different mediums. I wasn't able to document my experiences with the mini-tree pots and straight perlite, but it was excellent. Plants grew faster, bigger, and bushier which I think would really thrive in the colosseum. Gotta water them once a day though.

Can't wait to see how this turns out as I miss working with those little containers and micro designs. Max girls I'm allowed now is less than I can count on a paw, but I might have to try growing some orchids or something as an excuse to use all these mini-tree pots :dance013:I hope your hard work pays off for ya, although you really seem to enjoy the work and its inspiring.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Damn Anti... I wouldn't have expected anything less from ya. Another great and well planned design coming to life.

Aww shucks. Awful nice thing of you to say.

How you gunna water all these now?

I've got a 394 gph water pump that I'm going to use to flood the two tiers. It'll pump everything up to the top tier and when it fills up to about 5" or so it'll runoff down a 1.5" drain pipe to the second tier. When the second tier likewise fills up, it will drain back to the reservoir which will sit under the table.

I saw some pics with upside down empty pots to space your plants out and just wanted to say that worked well for me.

As long as it isn't too much of an impediment to watering, I intend to do the same. I'm tapped, out of work and I can't spend any more money on this unless absolutely critical. Once I pull a harvest I will attempt to fix any issues that I discover along the way and add a humi/dehumi to the mix just to keep everybody grinning.

You ever give any thought to painting those containers with MicroKote?

I forgot all about MicroKote until you just mentioned it. that may be worth exploring after the first harvest. Be a fuck-ton easier than drilling 1000 tiny holes in each treepot. :)

Have any shots of the roots from a harvested plant?

Unfortunately I do not.

Once you get everything running, you'll have plenty of things to experiment with maybe cutting the height of the containers down a little and using different mediums. I wasn't able to document my experiences with the mini-tree pots and straight perlite, but it was excellent. Plants grew faster, bigger, and bushier which I think would really thrive in the colosseum. Gotta water them once a day though.

I experimented with cutting down the treepots in my microcab. I found that my yield was substantially higher per plant in the uncut puts than it was in the cut pots, even though the plants in the cut down pots had an extra 4" of vertical grow space in my microcab. Also found that between two containers with roughly the same volume, the deeper and narrower one was a better yielder than the shorter, fatter one.

I will probably experiment some once I have production down.

I hope your hard work pays off for ya, although you really seem to enjoy the work and its inspiring.

I like to try to do things right the first time if possible. I will of course fail at this, but it'll be less of a failure than it would've been if I had simply knocked something together without any planning.

Thanks for your suggestions and all the nice thoughts. Got me feeling all warm inside.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Let there be LIFE!

Let there be LIFE!

At long last my friends...

LET THERE BE LIFE!

picture.php

^^^ The whole shebang! 70 rooted clones in coco. ^^^

picture.php

^^^ A view of the left side ^^^

picture.php

^^^ A view of the right side ^^^

picture.php

^^^ The remaining 38 clones ^^^

So... quick explanation. Hooked up the pumps and discovered there was a small leak that I have yet to repair. (One of the drains is not sealed properly.) I'm planning on getting some more silicone and plugging that shit up. If anybody has any other suggestions, please speak up. Basically, I put in 1.5" sink pvc and one of the seals must not've sealed completely. (You can see the bottoms of them in the left picture. The gap in the plants corresponds to the place where the drains are.) It's not a torrential leak, but it will make a mess if that pump is on twice a day, so I am going to hand water for a few days until it gets sorted.

I put all 70 clones on the top tier since at the moment they're all too small to crowd each other out. Once I get the leak sorted, I'll move 35 (or so) of them down to the bottom tier and put empty tree pots in between each one to space them out.

I'm gonna give the other clones a few more days in case any of the current ones decide to die on me. I may go ahead and throw the other 38 (or however many root) into the mix just to see what happens. I really have no idea about the penetration capacity of this chamber, so it's theoretically possible that I could run 120+ clones without a hitch. There will be some room for experimentation with future runs.

Anyway. I will update with pics on a weekly basis now that there's something to show you all. Maybe I should start a new thread for the actual grow? What do you guys think?

As always, your thoughts and ideas are critical to the success of this project.

Thank you to everybody who has contributed thus far and to everyone who has been following along. When I started this thread back on March 20th, I had no idea it would take this long to get to this step.

Thanks again for hanging in there with me!

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
This looks awesome. What an epic thread. First the planning, then the building, and now we begin the growing. It will be interesting to see how the plant/light spacing works out. Let the show begin. :wahey:

Anti;

Could you give us the dimensions of the inside opening for each tier?

Latest posts

Latest posts