What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help!!

Poison1vy

I’m new to forums and didn’t know where else to turn, been gardening for a couple years now and thought I’ve seen and know how to handle most issues. I’ve battled spider mites, PM, and most recently thrips.
I discovered the thrips when a friend pointed out a brownish scale/scab on a few stalks and how the stem was bruised where the egg case was attached (makes sense). I’m sure I’ve had them before and never noticed. I understand Both thrips and fungus gnats can be managed.
When I spray I Always alternate between Neem and spenocide couple times a month and when I see a problem... with all that said I have a little experience. I was baffled when I saw these purple scabs/sores on my clones it rots and kills them....I don’t see any of this on my mature/mother plants.. the purple just absorbs into the stem and it just turns yellow and rots....I just discovered that honey colored gob hoping it’s a clue (poop)? I’ve scoured the internet and can’t find anything that looks like this.. are these thrips laying eggs but in a different stage? Is this a fungus or a bug? I don’t see worms moths grubs mites aphids or any pest on the leaves. anyone??

djimb

Veteran
It looks to me like it might be some type of stem borer. I can't say i've seen them in cannabis before, but i have seen them in trees. The holes they leave behind can ooze sap that tyrns black like that when it dries, or be colonized by fungi, causing everything beyond the wound to wilt.

I found this article after a quick search: http://www.internationalhempassociation.org/jiha/iha03201.html

moonymonkey

i have not seen it on cannabis,but on gardena saw were insects mites or something leave behind a sticky stuff the feeds the scootymold that turns black for this they gave it systemic bug stuff they goes into the roots and they sprat neem oil at same time for a heavy infestation,not saying to do that,just some info. peace mm/

djimb

Veteran
i have not seen it on cannabis,but on gardena saw were insects mites or something leave behind a sticky stuff the feeds the scootymold that turns black for this they gave it systemic bug stuff they goes into the roots and they sprat neem oil at same time for a heavy infestation,not saying to do that,just some info. peace mm/

I've seen that in nurseries in the PNW, mostly on plants like rhododendrons and azaleas. An insect called Lacebug feeds on the undersides of the leaves, leaving sticky black residue that gets moldy. Usually the top of the leaf gets yellow stippling at the same time. Is that what you're talking about?

I know for both borers and lacebug, systemic treatments are usually the go-to solution. Of course, you don't want to use systemics for something you're going to consume.