What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canadian Romulan vs American Romulan

Thats interesting because I have zero mold issues, in all aspects. I have even tested it with some stress tests of high moisture for weeks, and I could not get it to show any signs of mold issues, PM, etc.. She has always been one of the most resilient plants Ive ever grown. I joke that I could set her on fire and she would thrive, all the time. :)

Port Alberni Pine bud . i was never sure if she was the same as romulan and it's nice to have that cleared up. Like Denman Deadhead, Texada Timewarp, Rene and others from that era, she had to be mold resistant just due to where Port Alberni is on the map.
A lot of stuff went on in the PNW that is not remembered well or translated into modern weed lore.

RomulanJake

Jake,

Are you saying you’re Joe’s son?

No. Did you read what I wrote a few posts back? :chin:

Port Alberni Pine bud . i was never sure if she was the same as romulan and it's nice to have that cleared up. Like Denman Deadhead, Texada Timewarp, Rene and others from that era, she had to be mold resistant just due to where Port Alberni is on the map.
A lot of stuff went on in the PNW that is not remembered well or translated into modern weed lore.

Exactly. :)

CaptainDankness

I have given cuts to a ton of people. A few bigger places, like Dark Heart Nursery in California has our cut, and will be doing clone releases some time this year I believe. They'll be carrying her for years as clones, because everyone that works there has already grown her out during testing and fell in love with her.

Aside from the cuts I already gave away, I do have a website and am selling regular seeds that we (I've got a small team of people helping me now) made here from old seed stock. They are somewhere in the F2-F4 range, but its only a guess as there were no notes on the old seeds telling us when they were from. And most of the phenotypes are strong pine scents.. like straight pine.

I dont think I can post my website here? At least not without paying, but you can look us up on Instagram I suppose? The info can be found on there if you look around at our posts.. @RomulanGenetics

*I hope that doesn't break any rules here? I really have no clue about a lot of that stuff.

Nice, I might actually just take a trip out to California to get the cut, along with plenty of others, figure $10-20 a cut I can make my money back real quick and have a stockpile of some of the best Calli clones onlys. We do have a few in New England but we definitely don't have them all.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Denman Deadhead?

RomulanJake

Nice, I might actually just take a trip out to California to get the cut, along with plenty of others, figure $10-20 a cut I can make my money back real quick and have a stockpile of some of the best Calli clones onlys. We do have a few in New England but we definitely don't have them all.

That would be pretty cool! If you do, make sure to hit me up if you can, and definitely James Loud. Tell him Jake from Romulan Genetics sent you. That guy always has some of the most insane, hard to get cuts. Im all for this girl getting spread around, so maybe I can help you get a cut if you cant ever make the drive out.

Denman Deadhead?

the sweet purple ganhi x with a fruity Hawaiian is all I know. Was high school weed for us and we grew it in the watershed park in north delta back in the 80's. Not sure if it went by another name but the breeder's name was Karl if that helps ;)

RomulanJake

the sweet purple ganhi x with a fruity Hawaiian is all I know. Was high school weed for us and we grew it in the watershed park in north delta back in the 80's. Not sure if it went by another name but the breeder's name was Karl if that helps ;)

Ah, I had thought you meant Deadhead OG.. but that makes far more sense, being the 80's :p

Ah, I had thought you meant Deadhead OG.. but that makes far more sense, being the 80's :p

no relation to deadhead og
deadheads are submerged logs that float just below the surface and if you aren't carefull they will ruin your day. Much like over indulging on the denman deadhead :laughing:
There are so many "family" strains/cutivars whatever folks want to call them that were bred and cross bred in all the small communities and islands of the seatle/puget sound and vancouver island and gulf islands. A huge melting pot took place in the 70's and 80's that was very underground. Seeds came from everywhere soldiers and hippies travelled and seeds were traded at festivals and concerts and campouts. Those seeds were taken back to each of the isolated island and west coast communities and unique crosses made and bred for years in the same place. Much is lost to the underground nature of those communities but some of us remember our own little part of it.
seeing the port alberni pine /romulan alive and well is a cool thing.

Prodigygrower

Veteran
I was just in duke diamonds live on ig last night talking about this. I was told the rom he used in his war bird or whatever the name he case up with for his rom x screaming eagle was the 79 cut from the pnw which came from Bc I think is what they said. I was looking at the pics and it deff reminds me of the rom I was getting at this festival i used to go to a few times a year in Missouri back in 08 09. The bud structure and those red hairs were something that just stand out. I sat there and tried my hardest to remember the smell and taste but just can’t. I mean I was having quite a bit of fun back when I was there so maybe that’s why but the look has deff stuck with me. I’m gonna have to deff give that cross a try I’d love to smoke some rom send me back on that trip down memory lane.

Prodigygrower

Veteran
Early 2000s it was always one pheno . It was the Pine/incense tasting one. It seems like it blew up for awhile then disappeared

I want to say it smelled like pine but then again it’s hard to remember. It deff was some pretty herb. I’ll never forget because my boy dropped me a pack on the last day of the show and I had to scramble to move it. Well not really it’s was dank and by the end of it I was having bidding wars over the last eights lol.

therevverend

Veteran
Thats interesting because I have zero mold issues, in all aspects. I have even tested it with some stress tests of high moisture for weeks, and I could not get it to show any signs of mold issues, PM, etc.. She has always been one of the most resilient plants Ive ever grown. I joke that I could set her on fire and she would thrive, all the time.

I agree, it's not particularly mold prone does fine with wet weather before it enters the final finishing stage for any amount of time. The problem with the PNW, when a plant is in it's last week before harvest and gets sopping wet for more then a day or two, when the temperatures are low, doesn't matter how much resistance, it's going to rot. Especially with the sort of rock hard dense nugs stuff like Romulan produces. The moisture gets trapped inside and sits there. At that point you either harvest or take your losses. Some years I lose most of my big nugs regardless of strain, above a certain size. End up cutting them apart to salvage the mold free bits.

If the sun is playing peek-a-boo, showing up for a few hours here and there, the flowers can dry out and resist the mold. Cold foggy temperatures are the worst. I'm not saying my friend's Grape Ape x Romulan was super mold prone, it was growing in a moister part of the garden, and the temps were around 60 degrees F, socked in by fog all day dripping wet. Plus the density of both those strains added up.

Grape Ape has good mold resistance as well, never gets stem rot or molds in any sort of decent weather. Once again it's so dense it can't dry out. A large plant with big flowers all over it can get hit hard if the timing is off.

Don't want to make a bigger deal out of it then it is, if you're in Oregon or California you won't worry about it. These strains are early enough in the PNW most of the time it's fine. Even if you lose a couple big buds all the smaller stuff turns out great. Or you could grow in a hoop house and not worry about it.

It's ironic because I can hear the rain dumping on my roof, it's been a cool wet summer and no boytritis so far..

RomulanJake

I was just in duke diamonds live on ig last night talking about this. I was told the rom he used in his war bird or whatever the name he case up with for his rom x screaming eagle was the 79 cut from the pnw which came from Bc I think is what they said. I was looking at the pics and it deff reminds me of the rom I was getting at this festival i used to go to a few times a year in Missouri back in 08 09. The bud structure and those red hairs were something that just stand out. I sat there and tried my hardest to remember the smell and taste but just can’t. I mean I was having quite a bit of fun back when I was there so maybe that’s why but the look has deff stuck with me. I’m gonna have to deff give that cross a try I’d love to smoke some rom send me back on that trip down memory lane.

So the '79 cut is a misunderstood name given by Federation Seeds. It was the initial cross, using the Romulan cut they purchased from Joe and a White Russian Male. It was named Romulan 7 of 9, because it was crossed with #7 of 9 males they had. People almost immediately started calling it '79 Romulan or Romulan '79.. and people were easily misled. Romulan wasnt named Romulan until the mid-early 80s at the earliest. That Federation version is what most people know of when it comes to Romulan. It was back crossed for years with the cut, until it was as close as they felt they could get it. It had a fruity, grape flavor initially and evolved to more of a pine over the backcrossing.

PA Pinebud, the Romulan we have, and the cut Joe had, are Pine in almost every pheno. Some are more complex with skunk, pepper, spicy. And a rare pheno is like a piney, rose/incense, with some other complexities in it.

Just trying to fill in some things there.. and you will definitely want to try her if she comes around your way. Especially the cut I have, which I am making fem'd seeds of, and have given clones away to all sorts of breeders and growers. That girl is just downright fucking special in every way.

RomulanJake

I agree, it's not particularly mold prone does fine with wet weather before it enters the final finishing stage for any amount of time. The problem with the PNW, when a plant is in it's last week before harvest and gets sopping wet for more then a day or two, when the temperatures are low, doesn't matter how much resistance, it's going to rot. Especially with the sort of rock hard dense nugs stuff like Romulan produces. The moisture gets trapped inside and sits there. At that point you either harvest or take your losses. Some years I lose most of my big nugs regardless of strain, above a certain size. End up cutting them apart to salvage the mold free bits.

If the sun is playing peek-a-boo, showing up for a few hours here and there, the flowers can dry out and resist the mold. Cold foggy temperatures are the worst. I'm not saying my friend's Grape Ape x Romulan was super mold prone, it was growing in a moister part of the garden, and the temps were around 60 degrees F, socked in by fog all day dripping wet. Plus the density of both those strains added up.

Grape Ape has good mold resistance as well, never gets stem rot or molds in any sort of decent weather. Once again it's so dense it can't dry out. A large plant with big flowers all over it can get hit hard if the timing is off.

Don't want to make a bigger deal out of it then it is, if you're in Oregon or California you won't worry about it. These strains are early enough in the PNW most of the time it's fine. Even if you lose a couple big buds all the smaller stuff turns out great. Or you could grow in a hoop house and not worry about it.

It's ironic because I can hear the rain dumping on my roof, it's been a cool wet summer and no boytritis so far..

I completely get it. I wasnt thinking about the difficulties you growers have up there... I was on generalities. I agree with you 100% though. :)

Prodigygrower

Veteran
So the '79 cut is a misunderstood name given by Federation Seeds. It was the initial cross, using the Romulan cut they purchased from Joe and a White Russian Male. It was named Romulan 7 of 9, because it was crossed with #7 of 9 males they had. People almost immediately started calling it '79 Romulan or Romulan '79.. and people were easily misled. Romulan wasnt named Romulan until the mid-early 80s at the earliest. That Federation version is what most people know of when it comes to Romulan. It was back crossed for years with the cut, until it was as close as they felt they could get it. It had a fruity, grape flavor initially and evolved to more of a pine over the backcrossing.

PA Pinebud, the Romulan we have, and the cut Joe had, are Pine in almost every pheno. Some are more complex with skunk, pepper, spicy. And a rare pheno is like a piney, rose/incense, with some other complexities in it.

Just trying to fill in some things there.. and you will definitely want to try her if she comes around your way. Especially the cut I have, which I am making fem'd seeds of, and have given clones away to all sorts of breeders and growers. That girl is just downright fucking special in every way.

Thank you for clearing things up. I just saw a pic on dukes feed of a cross he made with his cut of rom and it triggered a memory I was like man I smoked some bomb like that back in the day lol. Funny how things happen like that lol. Shit any time you wanna send them s1’s this way broski Im always down for a good hunt.:smokeit:

RomulanJake

Thank you for clearing things up. I just saw a pic on dukes feed of a cross he made with his cut of rom and it triggered a memory I was like man I smoked some bomb like that back in the day lol. Funny how things happen like that lol. Shit any time you wanna send them s1’s this way broski Im always down for a good hunt.:smokeit:

Hell yeah. I'll let you know as soon as they're ready. Should be around Sept..🖖