What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Educational Podcast

KIS

Latest episode is on the future of cannabis production in North America. We discuss a lighting study on optimal ppfd for cannabis comparing LEDs and double ended HPS, organic certification for cannabis, and a ton on beneficial insect from Suzanne Wainwright Evans (The Bug Lady).

Where do you see cannabis headed on the commercial production side in the future?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I think commercial growers are only going to grow a few strains that all MUST be heavy producers cuz money is the driving factor. Grown in giant warehouses there's no way that a person can give as much attention to each plant.
Then they don't properly dry, nor cure the product. Overall there will always be a market for the small time, ma and pa operation for those seeking good high quality product.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Tad awesome work! Just listened to the first Coot interview and great to be able to put a name and a voice to this living legend!

Regarding malted barley the best advice is now not to worry about sprouting the barley and just topdressing with ground malted barley??

I have a bunch of malted barley been meaning to use but my grinder broke and i kinda forgot about it...

KIS

Thanks Tad awesome work! Just listened to the first Coot interview and great to be able to put a name and a voice to this living legend!

Regarding malted barley the best advice is now not to worry about sprouting the barley and just topdressing with ground malted barley??

I have a bunch of malted barley been meaning to use but my grinder broke and i kinda forgot about it...

Yes, thats correct. Just grind up the organic malted barley. No need to sprout anymore.

h.h.

Veteran
Malted barley is already germinated.
If you have barley and want malted barley, You germinate it and dry it.

KIS

Malted barley is already germinated.
If you have barley and want malted barley, You germinate it and dry it.

:)

I would just add that when you buy the malted, it's already been sprouted and halted at it's highest enzymatic levels. For me, it's way easier than sprouting grain, but I suppose if you have the grain already then it's not a bad way to go.

Coot was saying that if you let the sprouted sit too long it can start producing alcohols which can damage the plant.

fatigues

Veteran
I am enjoying the podcast very much Tad. (I came across it from Black Swallow Living Soils webpage.)

Some of the topics are perhaps a little too focused for my liking. I certainly would greatly appreciate a more expansive overview of options and recommendations for listeners. Maybe that is something you and Jaya could do together?

Whatever the case, thanks for your efforts in all of this. They are appreciated.

h.h.

Veteran
Another living soil. All they do is copy and make claims. Forget the Coot mixes. The malt, the aloe vera, all that worthless crap. Voodo. Quackery. Practice good farming methods. Good mulch and compost, manures. What you need is all you need.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just listened to the episode 8 discussion with Jim (coot). It was great that he had discovered the use of the predator insects for pest control. I know he had been a little dubious of my exuberance concerning this being the be-all-end-all solution.

Also glad to hear him leave behind the fancy worm digest/harvest systems for a simple 'throw the worms in and leave them' system which produces superior vermicompost given sufficient time.

The Oaxacan Spears comment and container loads of hash brings back fond exciting and mildly dangerous memories from the university of the street I attended in my youth. Imprinted in my mind a basement filled with neatly packed kilo bricks wrapped in wax paper or newsprint sealed with wax, often with the imprint of the Oaxacan farm of origin, a sign of pride.

I hope out of the big rushes to legalization and commercialization that pride in growing a worthy product can shine through from some corner(s) of the industry.

KIS

I think time gets understated for its importance in all aspects of composting. At the end of the day, any organic matter that has been allowed to sit and compost for an extended period of time appears to outperform and contain a better diversity of microorganisms in my experience. That’s the biggest issue I have with all these commercial compost facilities, even Malibu. It all gets rushed and processed too quickly.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think time gets understated for its importance in all aspects of composting. At the end of the day, any organic matter that has been allowed to sit and compost for an extended period of time appears to outperform and contain a better diversity of microorganisms in my experience. That’s the biggest issue I have with all these commercial compost facilities, even Malibu. It all gets rushed and processed too quickly.

So long as the thermal part is done properly first with timely heating/turning unless using a bioreactor.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some feedback on the interview with Jeff.

When we talk about topdressing with compost or other organic matter (OM) in a no-till situation, the OM does not need to make physical contact with the root system as apparently is the 'worry' expressed. Because we have employed no-till the hierarchical microbial chain (consortium?) can work rapidly to transform this detritus (OM) into plant available nutrient transported to the rhizosphere.

Besides this factor when you dig the hole for the new plant you may lay some starter OM in there, provided it is not hot or high in non-aged carbon. Also in no-till some roots are deployed to the surface.

I definitely agree with Jeff about foliar. There are few nutrients (of which I am aware) that can enter the plant cell this way. Especially boron, which as pointed out requires 'helper' proteins. (as referenced in Root Exudates - sticky). For a long time it was believed that boron was easily osmotically assimilated.

Last edited:

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
What I don't understand with the malted barley, is that this is mainly used as a source of enzymes? When you germinate barley, these enzymes are produced in high numbers. But when you kiln dry it to make malted barely it kills off a lot of enzymes, but it keeps the ones that are used for brewing. Since we are doing more than brewing and a wider range and greater number would be beneficial why are we using malted barely versus fresh germinated as used in a Sprouted Seed Tea. I have a bag of barley grains. I would think the most superior way is to sprout them then blend and either top dress/mulch or put it in a tea along with whatever else you want to add.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
What I don't understand with the malted barley, is that this is mainly used as a source of enzymes? When you germinate barley, these enzymes are produced in high numbers. But when you kiln dry it to make malted barely it kills off a lot of enzymes, but it keeps the ones that are used for brewing. Since we are doing more than brewing and a wider range and greater number would be beneficial why are we using malted barely versus fresh germinated as used in a Sprouted Seed Tea. I have a bag of barley grains. I would think the most superior way is to sprout them then blend and either top dress/mulch or put it in a tea along with whatever else you want to add.

I always thought "malted" meant any grain that had been germinated, but you are saying is there a difference?