What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what causes "helmet head"...???

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
just popped 30 beans...25+ALL popped from there initial start w/ good tap roots and HELMET~HEAD...where the seed shell is split but still attached to the seedling...requiring a bit of delicate hand and tweezers work to flush off the shell thus allowing the initial leaf set to emerge an show....and grow

my question is what causes this......????

* not planting the seed deep enuff as to cause the shell to be removed as it grows up and out of the soil...???
* seeds being harvested too early by breeder...???
* seeds not being dried and matured enuff before selling...???
* too much light...???
* too much warmth...???
* to much H20...???
* ph problem w/ starter soil...???
* excessive air flow...???
* OVER pampering the babies...???

these are the majority of my guesses.... BUT would like to hear sum real reason... for this common problem...w/ seedlings?

******* this being said we need a tutorial w/ pic's on
"how to remove helmet head".... *******

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I've had the same experience so often I've become pretty good at removing shells with 2 pairs, of fine point hemostats.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I only get the 'helmet head' on my oldest (2007-10) homemade seeds that I didn't soak long enough.

F

Funion

My experience has been that its easier to remove remaining shells in a more humid environment.
F.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
My experience has been that its easier to remove remaining shells in a more humid environment.
F.

Exactly my thought. I popped fresh tester beans and had to help all of them out. Rh was around 35%.

Spring - fall, no problems but on an occasion or two.

B

blue green

It is annoying, but I usually just cut along the seem of the shell, where it hasn't opened.
Sometimes i accidently slice a line into the cotyledons, but it doesn't seem to hurt them?

Some drops of water help to slide the shell off too.

T

TribalSeeds

Ive only had it happen when I let it get too dry. My root temps are always pretty cold cuz I usually have air moving

mack 10

Veteran
I plant my seeds into soil and never get this problem. only if its a really light soil, I've heard people say to add extra clay to your soil to prevent this from happening. do you all germ into root riot cubes or something?

festerous

Veteran
I now pop all seeds in a disposable lasagna pan with lid, filled with 60% organic potting soil and 40% coco. My tomatoes all sprout within 5 days of planting using this method.
The only time i get the dreaded "helmet head" is when i remove the lid too early due to the faster ones stretching towards a tiny pinhole of light from the lid.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I plant my seeds into soil and never get this problem. only if its a really light soil, I've heard people say to add extra clay to your soil to prevent this from happening. do you all germ into root riot cubes or something?

I pop in towels and then stick em in root plugs. Don't know what brand they are. Locally made and Ive got an inside connection.

I agree with it being from not planting deep enough. A word of warning here, it is better to be patient and let the seedling work the shell off on its own. I have recently used tweezers on two seedlings of SS bubblegum and both were stunted and mutant looking. Apparently it happens often.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As long as the stem is getting light then the seedling is getting stronger and the shell does not have to come off right away. A drop of water on a finger applied to the shell will soften it so it will come off by itself... I rotate the cup so the water drop moistens all parts of the shell, I do this a couple of times a day till the shell falls off.

Chemovar

I noticed this too. Try soaking your seeds in water for 24 hours before you plant them I think some seeds just have thiker shells and they need a little help. if you squeeze the sides the continue to split and just slough off the first leaves make sure you also get the little sac of skin that can also cling onto the leaves.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
As far as not planting deep enough, couldn't that also be a moisture factor? After all, soil hold moisture better than air does. So Im clear for myself, the shell softens in the moist medium.

Does anyone pack their soil down? I don't think airy soils are rough enough to muscle a shell off.

N

noyd666

when put into seedling cup, of coco I top off with a small mound of seedling gravel =sand, it pushes the shell off as it emerges, if not I spray and prick the hat off with a sharp small nail.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
It's not just not planting deep enough. It's also planting with the root pointing down. If you germinate in a paper towel, you should put the seed in the soil with the root pointing slightly up or to the side. I've seen a time lapse somewhere showing what happens when the root starts out pointing upward. As the root starts out upward then bends down, it gets leverage that sort of rotates the seed up. That twisting through the soil helps get the seed shell off. If the root starts out pointing down, it just pushes the seed straight up, making it more likely for the shell to stay on. Of course you also need to have enough soil for the seed to push through, so planting too shallow is also a problem.

A picture is worth a 1000 words:

picture.php

Last edited:

kanehbosmshaman

As long as the stem is getting light then the seedling is getting stronger and the shell does not have to come off right away. A drop of water on a finger applied to the shell will soften it so it will come off by itself... I rotate the cup so the water drop moistens all parts of the shell, I do this a couple of times a day till the shell falls off.

LOL getting stronger as it quickly turns into a foot long thread of stem. Maybe the shell will eventually release but by then you have to cut the stem and try to get the stunted thing to root again, give a couple months to veg and maybe you'll get a six inch plant to flower