What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mite ID

Dronefreak

Photobucket sucks!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180315_225302.jpg
    IMG_20180315_225302.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20180315_225049.jpg
    IMG_20180315_225049.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 13

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes it does. Vimeo is worse.

Doesn't look like a classic pest. Any plant damage or symptom?

Dronefreak

Mikell,

Yes I am seeing some issues at week 6 of flower. Plants have noticeably less bud mass than previous runs of the same genetics which is what led me to look at the roots for pests.

I had an entomologist identify the mite as Tyrophagus (mould mite) and said it is NOT a plant pest.

I would have to disagree as I can definitely see a reduction in yield.

They are only in my flowering plants...nothing in veg room. Yet

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shot in the dark, but perhaps similar to fungus gnats? Re: the pathogen is effecting the plant and the insect is along for a meal ticket.

How severe is the infestation?

Forgot to mention. Props for one of the best ID pictures I've seen.

Dronefreak

Doubt it regarding the pathogen/insect scenario.

I run sterile and do not overfeed/overwater and would be able to see mold or fungus under the microscope if it was there.

Just these bastards....nothing else.

At this point I would consider them opportunistic....in that they probably would go for something other than my roots for a food source if it was there.

Full sterilization of this room after this run and I will be treating my veg plants just to be sure they are gone.

Thanks for the help

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Attempt at help. Be interested to read any results or discoveries down the road.

Maple_Flail

I'm no expert by any means, The ONLY time i've run into something like that is at a pizza place.. Looks like a Flour mite to me. however i'm no expert. I did exercise my google fu, and it tells me that Flour mites and Mould mites are related? unsure if i interpreted correctly.

Hope this helps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour_mite

It also occurs to me that the source of this pest might be unexpected.. visit any sketchy pizza places in the last month or so?

Last edited:

Dronefreak

As stated previously they were identified as Tyrophagus by an entomologist......Tyrophagus putrescentiae to be exact.

I have found numerous articles implicating them in greenhouse damage... which is consistent with what I'm seeing.

After this run is complete they will be GONE via CLO2, ozone and Pylon.

M

metsäkana

hypoaspis miles/aculeifer i think eats them aculeifer eats deeper but miles i think is more active IMG_3281.jpg

i had this kind :D hairbutters

also dry soil kills them i think

if they cant suck moisture from roots or fallen leafs

those that i had attacked small seeds and plants but big ones they did notthing what i see .. mostly i saw them eating fallen leafs in groups after the plants were strong i did not see under soil so good im not 100% if they sucked the roots also