What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Different buds, different flush

i've read stories of people thinking it was a myth and then a friend of them grew the same plant but flushed it and it tasted much cleaner.
I don't really want to take the risk to have bad tasting buds just to test the myth, and anyway at the end of maturation it seems that the buds are fully developed and dense so why would they need more nutes?

I've grown a few plants never tried flushing, buds are exceptional.

As far as the nutrition i think the plants are carrying on metabolic processes until the chop so maybe using less nutes but still drawing up water that contains minerals, same as in nature. I grow the same as a bunch of the high brix style growers. Many of us foliar right up until week of harvest. Never had mold have had consistently superb bud.

Ill repost once I get my only "flushed" plant chopped and dried. I am very curious if a difference is detectable. At chop date it will have had only water for over 2 weeks and no foliars for over 3 weeks. I'm extremely doubtful because my soil is loaded with worms and active biologically so there is a constant cycling that can not be avoided (without wasting the soil)

sourkush

i don't understand all you say cause english is not my native language and it's a little technical for me but,

for you, what makes buds burn to dark and hard ashes?

sourkush

i disagree, i have good grinders and a lot of experience when it comes to rolling/smoking, i've seen fully resinous buds burn perfectly white, i don't think that's the explanation if it's not flush

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
i disagree, i have good grinders and a lot of experience when it comes to rolling/smoking, i've seen fully resinous buds burn perfectly white, i don't think that's the explanation if it's not flush

+1

Over fed and under flushed bud burns black, it's the burnt residue of unused nutrients

Km

If you grow in soil there isnt anything about flushing that makes sense from a plant nutrition perspective. If there is something in the literature that supports flushing please post it. In hydro set ups it may be sensible, i wouldn't know.

Why isnt there a simple test example showing the anslysis of buds flushed and unflushed? Stoners hate real science when it disconfirms their "truth". I believe that if you insist flushed bud is different you will find that it is different, but legitimate measurements wont detect any differences.

Well i got some flushed bud to test and ill try to keep an open mind. Im def open to being persuaded. I thought the 24/48 hr dark period was silly but i tested it and i think it helps. I have made it a practice.

sourkush

let's keep it to a nice debate please

If you grow in soil there isnt anything about flushing that makes sense from a plant nutrition perspective.

Why? I don't know much about plants except from weed forums

If there is something in the literature that supports flushing please post it. In hydro set ups it may be sensible, i wouldn't know.

If you consider forums or high times as literature then there is plenty, if you only trust approved scientific studies, you won't find any cause it's illegal...

Why isnt there a simple test example showing the anslysis of buds flushed and unflushed? Stoners hate real science when it disconfirms their "truth". I believe that if you insist flushed bud is different you will find that it is different, but legitimate measurements wont detect any differences.

For me the truth is in the smoke, but you think black, hard ash and unproper taste comes from something else than nutes in the bud, and i believe it does, not from not grinding the bud well or too resinous but let's keep the debate open

Well i got some flushed bud to test and ill try to keep an open mind. Im def open to being persuaded. I thought the 24/48 hr dark period was silly but i tested it and i think it helps. I have made it a practice.

maybe you'll notice a difference but if your buds are perfect the way you grow them then don't change, maybe if you feed no more than what's needed and your plant consume everything then you can feed till the end but for me it seems that the longer the flush the better it taste (i never harvest anything before 10 to 12 weeks so enough time to develop and get dense before flush)

Bush Dr

Veteran
-
-5 talking out your ass
Stinks like stoner bullshit.

Cite one legit study for any crop where flushing improves outcomes.

Explain why natural bud from the earth grown under the sun aint heard of flushing.

Well that's a well structured argument against something you admit you personally have no knowledge about

Few people write about their fuck ups except in the "infirmary" section try looking there for black ash

Earth grown weed depletes the nutrients from the soil and causes the plant to use the nutritional needs stored in the leaves, hence they discolour, die and drop off, nobody feeds them at this stage, just water for weeks

Next years crop will need the soil to have all the nutrients replaced, ask any outdoor grower what happens when you try a new crop on old soil

I noticed there's no albums demonstrating your success

Perhaps when you grow up a bit, you might learn to keep your mouth shut until you can bring a reasoned argument to the table:tiphat:

sourkush

Hi Bush Dr,

supermoto? hell yeah, ktm all the way for me

so what do you think about flushing in the shower with tap in the next week?

Well that's a well structured argument against something you admit you personally have no knowledge about

Few people write about their fuck ups except in the "infirmary" section try looking there for black ash

Earth grown weed depletes the nutrients from the soil and causes the plant to use the nutritional needs stored in the leaves, hence they discolour, die and drop off, nobody feeds them at this stage, just water for weeks

Next years crop will need the soil to have all the nutrients replaced, ask any outdoor grower what happens when you try a new crop on old soil

I noticed there's no albums demonstrating your success

Perhaps when you grow up a bit, you might learn to keep your mouth shut until you can bring a reasoned argument to the table:tiphat:
"when i grow up" is that a part of your argument? Lout.

"Next years crop will need the soil to have all the nutrients replaced, ask any outdoor grower what happens when you try a new crop on old soil" ask any of em? No you're wildly full of shit.

Senescence is genetic. You're a gas bag

"Few people write about their fuck ups except in the "infirmary" section try looking there for black ash"

MANY of the threads arefull of folks looking for answers to their fuckups. I hope you keep your fucking pie hole shut.

I don't know about "flushing" the same way I don't know about boiling my roots or implementing a $$$$ feeding program.

Show me a single scientific paper supporting flushing in any crop. Testing has gotta be cheap and easy now that lab analysis is available to the masses. Where is a study showing the effects of flushing?

Folks who grow the highest quality crops in soil that is carefully balanced and vibrant with biology need to flush what exactly? The micro organisms? Cmon dude you're talking out your ass.

TedNugget

I don't know about the scientific studies behind flushing or anything like that, but I do know that when I have used only organic nutrients up until harvest, the buds burned like a black coal and left a black clump in the bowl after burning. It will be harsh on the back of my throat when smoking. It will also make my chest feel almost congested with mucous/phlegm. Obviously, the more over-fed the plants were, the worse the buds smoked.

When I use plain water the last 2-3 weeks with no nutrient, I get much more colorful buds that burn and taste MUCH better and only leave a wispy white ash in the bowl. It doesn't taste harsh, hurt my throat or make me feel congested.

If we are talking about flushing in strictly the sense of running tons and tons of water through the medium, then yes, that might not be necessary depending on how much the plants were fed during the grow and what type of nutrients were used.
But if we are just talking about feeding nutrients up until the day of harvest VS plain water for the last week(s) before harvest, then I think there is a big difference from my personal experience.

Edit - I should add that if you're using just dry ingredients mixed into soil and allowed to cook (super soil etc) with no liquid nutrients, then all you're feeding is plain water anyway and flushing isn't going to do much of anything. But the OP uses liquid nutrients, so that was not what was being discussed.

Last edited:

TedNugget

The way I can tell if my plants will burn and taste properly -

I snap off a fan leaf (making sure I snap off the whole leaf stem too) and I taste the water that beads up at he base of the leaf's stem. If this water tastes like plain, clean water with no bitter taste then I know the plants are drinking plain water and will burn and taste good.
If I snap,off a leaf and that water tastes bitter or,like nutrients, then I know the plant needs to be irrigated with more plain water before harvest.

The way I can tell if my plants will burn and taste properly -

I snap off a fan leaf (making sure I snap off the whole leaf stem too) and I taste the water that beads up at he base of the leaf's stem. If this water tastes like plain, clean water with no bitter taste then I know the plants are drinking plain water and will burn and taste good.
If I snap,off a leaf and that water tastes bitter or,like nutrients, then I know the plant needs to be irrigated with more plain water before harvest.

I think i saw granny from the Beverley Hillbillies use that technique.

Bush Dr

Veteran
"when i grow up" is that a part of your argument? Lout.

"Next years crop will need the soil to have all the nutrients replaced, ask any outdoor grower what happens when you try a new crop on old soil" ask any of em? No you're wildly full of shit.

Senescence is genetic. You're a gas bag

"Few people write about their fuck ups except in the "infirmary" section try looking there for black ash"

MANY of the threads arefull of folks looking for answers to their fuckups. I hope you keep your fucking pie hole shut.

I don't know about "flushing" the same way I don't know about boiling my roots or implementing a $$$$ feeding program.

Show me a single scientific paper supporting flushing in any crop. Testing has gotta be cheap and easy now that lab analysis is available to the masses. Where is a study showing the effects of flushing?

Folks who grow the highest quality crops in soil that is carefully balanced and vibrant with biology need to flush what exactly? The micro organisms? Cmon dude you're talking out your ass.

Another carefully reasoned reply ...:thank you:

sourkush

But if we are just talking about feeding nutrients up until the day of harvest VS plain water for the last week(s) before harvest, then I think there is a big difference from my personal experience.

No no, i do believe in flush, for me it's not about to flush or not.

It's about being sure i don't have black ash like some of my buds have now.

Usually i flush at least 3 weeks but this time i harvested a few plants with only 2 weeks flush and it wasn't enough to consume the remaining nutes.
Next time i will flush longer or flush heavily in the shower the last week to be sure no nutes are left in the soil and they use the nutes they have stored.

I will try the "snap off a fan leaf" technic, seems interesting, thx

abuldur

Nutrients should be balanced and kept on the low side throughout the grow.
It is a lot harder to do this growing in dirt than it is in hydro.
I have often grown the same strain indoors hydro and outdoors in the ground.
There is a flushing periode at the end of flowering in both cases.
Yet it seems my outdoor always requiers a longer cure to taste good of course this is highly subjective.

EastCoast710

Hi guys,

I've been noticing, specially on my last crop, that on the same plant, different buds are not flushed the same.
To a point where i can roll a joint that's gonna burn to a light fluffy white ash and then roll another bud that's gonna burn dark and hard.
Not every plant though, some are fine all around.
How do you prevent that?

I flushed my plants between 2 and 3 weeks depending on when i harvested, just giving them PHed tap water

I grow with biocanna in light mix, so maybe organic is not as easy to flush

But i guess i had too much nutrients in the medium before i started flushing.

When you guys flush, do you just water like usual but without nutes or do you really flush the medium with 2/3x the amount of water so that you really get the EC of your soil as low as possible?

Could i flush my plants in my shower with straight tap water (ph is about 8) and full of chlorine or chloramine, and maybe give them a normal watering with PHed and dechlorinated water to bring down the ph a little bit? but the chlorine would still kill my beneficials? is it bad for the last weeks?

i'd like to hear your thoughts guys.

thx
sk-

usually because of the fact that some parts of the plants aren't getting the same amount of light.. so they don't use the nutes stored as quickly.. in a uniform light spread room everything should fade out pretty evenly..

sourkush

it's hard to have uniform light when you put 16 plants under a 600w hehe
This time i'll really wait till they are all yellow before i take them down, even if that means a little more amber trichs
I tried the shower flush on 4 plants, will let you know how it worked but some of them are still heavy and it's been about a week, they have trouble drinking all of it but at least i know the soil is nute free now.