What's new

Is there a landrace Thai that finishes in 78 days?

You'll be hard pressed to find one that matures in 120 days. Indoors they will never fully mature. I found the best method is to run a 4/12 cycle or 16 hour days vs 24hr which will speed maturity by ~30 percent. Even then they won't fully mature. You basically let them grow till you're tired of taking care of them.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll be hard pressed to find one that matures in 120 days. Indoors they will never fully mature. I found the best method is to run a 4/12 cycle or 16 hour days vs 24hr which will speed maturity by ~30 percent. Even then they won't fully mature. You basically let them grow till you're tired of taking care of them.

Been there, done that. Prefer hybrids.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
No if someone claimed so they are lying... but u can find hybrids with strong Thai expressions that can be close to the original with enough seed n some selection... but again it will only be close those long flowering sativas are special and shaving a month or so off flower u loose some of that...But u can get sumthin close which is more then good enough for 99.999% of ppl...

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I'm thinking no.
The highland strains that are more like the Chinese Yunnan strains are the only ones I can think of.

China Yunna - Ace Seeds
Highland Thai - The Real Seed Company

These are more indica in phenotype. The tropical landrace sativas all seem to flower for a long time - possibly because no one has yet figured out what makes them flower at all in a tropical permanent 12/12 light cycle. I think the retreat of the water table may have something to do with it.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
No. If there was it would not be worth growing.

Quality takes time and is worth the wait.

Exactly .... without the patience it's like cutting corners in real life may look good at first but not the same as a job done right.... some qualities need time to show up...

G

So do you think that if, for example ,we take 2 clones from same mother plant ,one finishes in 14-15 weeks in 12/12 and the other finishes in twelve weeks under 11/13 ,the first one would have better qualities?Always curious about that...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran

i agree...our 1st grow with golden tiger was picked at '3' diff times... around 110,120 and 150 days- and still didnt think they were ready at 150days...

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
So do you think that if, for example ,we take 2 clones from same mother plant ,one finishes in 14-15 weeks in 12/12 and the other finishes in twelve weeks under 11/13 ,the first one would have better qualities?Always curious about that...

Curious about some opinions on that to. I only tried it with one strain and I'd lean more towards no there would be not much of difference , but u do loose some...the longer flowering one will yield more and be a bit stronger overall but it would really depend on how long it takes to initiate flower under 12/12 n if the strain will flower at all under 12/12. My opinion on they shortened days is only if necessary if the plant will flower under 12 hrs great if not ya gotta do whatever ya got to do...

frostqueen

The highland strains that are more like the Chinese Yunnan strains are the only ones I can think of.

China Yunna - Ace Seeds
Highland Thai - The Real Seed Company

These are more indica in phenotype. The tropical landrace sativas all seem to flower for a long time - possibly because no one has yet figured out what makes them flower at all in a tropical permanent 12/12 light cycle. I think the retreat of the water table may have something to do with it.

I grew out a few Chinese Yunnans from Ace. They all finished within 10 weeks and had nothing whatsoever in common with Thai at all. Great genotype, but def not Thai-ish...

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I grew out a few Chinese Yunnans from Ace. They all finished within 10 weeks and had nothing whatsoever in common with Thai at all. Great genotype, but def not Thai-ish...
They are of a more indica phenotype, which is why they flower more quickly. The high however may be close enough to a Thai high, especially for people who've only smoked indica-thai hybrids which are available everywhere. The old Northern Lights comes to mind. Even Neville's Haze had Thai in it back in the early 80s.

One reason the branchy sativas flower for a long time, is that the sun hits all the branches equally, which means all flowers grow simultaneously, which distributes growth over all the branches. The columnar indicas mainly grow a kola, which is why they finish faster.

So ideally, someone would be looking for a single kola indica pheno, with a clear sativa high.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Maybe this would almost fit the bill:

Orient Expres, Ace Seeds

A cross of Vietnam Black x China Yunnan.

ACE state that it finishes flowering in 63 days or 9 weeks, so longer outdoors and depending on grower experience and luck. :)

Not strictly a landrace, but a cross of two Southeast Asian landraces. And Vietnam Black is pretty much impossible to find otherwise.