What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cali cannabis laws ...

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Open container? Geez.

If you're caught smoking while driving, they'll charge you with three separate offenses;

1: Driving while under the influence.

2: Consuming cannabis product while driving.

3: Driving while cannabis is in a location accessible to the operator of the vehicle.

Treat it like alcohol. Consume it outside of your vehicle. Put it in the trunk of your car when driving.

geneva_sativa

Guys I have to take a break from images today to share with you the text of a reply to me from my Representative Doug Lamalfa to a letter I sent him. Reefer madness still exists!

Dear Mr. Scheetz:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for ending the federal marijuana prohibition . I value your point of view and appreciate the opportunity to respond.

While I agree that efforts to limit illicit drug use have not been fully successful, I believe that the negatives of drug legalization, including marijuana, would be much worse. Studies indicate that the marijuana used today contains significantly greater cancer-causing properties than tobacco, can cause mental health issues, is addictive and creates harmful dependencies, is a frequent precursor to the use of more dangerous drugs, and can lead users to commit violent or otherwise irresponsible actions that harm innocent people.

Additionally, decriminalizing or legalizing drugs may lead to the creation of a permanent class of drug users who will find it increasingly impossible to support themselves, and thus will rely on the state for welfare, disability payments, or unemployment insurance. Their medical problems will increase, draining our already strained county hospitals and the health care programs. Thus, innocent taxpayers will be forced to subsidize the lethargic lifestyle of substance abusers. Preventing drug users from operating motor vehicles will also become an increasing problem as drug use becomes more tolerated and acceptable.

For these and other reasons, I oppose legalizing the use of marijuana. I believe the better approach is discouraging its use through a clear and honest discussion of the damage that the drug can cause. I believe parents, schools, churches, and community organizations are best positioned to encourage personal responsibility and convince younger Americans especially that marijuana use contributes to an unhealthy lifestyle. Additionally, I believe existing drug laws should be enforced to further discourage illicit drug use.

Although we may not see eye-to-eye, I will be sure to keep your perspective in mind should Congress consider legislation that would change laws governing marijuana use.

I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance. If you would like to stay connected to our office with the latest news, legislation, and other useful information, please visit my website at https://lamalfa.house.gov . Thank you again for your communication, and please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future questions or comments. It is an honor to be your representative in Congress.

Sincerely,

Doug LaMalfa
Member of Congress

Bizarre. . . that is almost word for word the exact response I saw from another of our " representatives "

Goddamn political class. . . bunch of condescending leeches.

MrsFarmer

Any advice?

My county won't allow commercial cannabis farming, regardless of size. They'll be having a public meeting in February and cannabis will be on the agenda, although the clerk doesn't expect any changes in the guidelines even with the new state permits that will be available. I'm planning on speaking, and I'm going to write emails/ letters to the council members. Is there anything else we can do? I feel like county governments are forcing people to operate outside the law since there isn't any way to work within it. I understand their position that large operations invite crime, but that's only caused by prohibition. With legalization, the price will drop, and honest law abiding farmers will be able to pursue income operating within the law without risk of retribution.

My request for my county is to allow small commercial grows with all the criteria met (away from schools, neighbors, sight of road, water source, etc). I doubt I'll change anyone's minds, but nothing will change unless people speak out.

soil margin

Veteran
So has anyone figured out what's going to happen to all the middlemen? How is all the bud going to get from growers to dispensaries? If I wanted to buy a pound from a legal farmer and sell it to a legal dispensary, is that even going to be possible with the new laws?

So has anyone figured out what's going to happen to all the middlemen? How is all the bud going to get from growers to dispensaries? If I wanted to buy a pound from a legal farmer and sell it to a legal dispensary, is that even going to be possible with the new laws?

Not without a distribution permit.

soil margin

Veteran
Not without a distribution permit.

Do you know if there are different distribution permits for middlemen and collectives? Or is it all just the same thing to the state? Jesus christ they make this shit hard to figure out. Been looking at the cannabis.ca.gov website and there are like zero clarifications on any of this.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Its pretty complicated, I think there are at least 13+ different permits. All but 1 of the cultivation permits alone, won't allow processing , transportation, nor wholesale or retail distribution.

Cultivated, transported, lab tested, processed, packaged, transported, distributed. I assume will be a common model. All different permits. So either different companies or single companies holding many permits. Going to be really hard for the small guys. Just getting a single permit is painful. Juggling multiple permits will take a decent administrative team.

There is a micro business permit, that is an all in one permit. Pretty appealing to people use to doing things the old way. I have a feeling there will be a lot of hoops to jump through for it though. Originally we were planning on doing it, but now I am leaning towards a normal cultivation permit and hope there are people holding the other permits who are looking for other farms to work with.

To make it a bit more complicated, not sure about every single permit but most of them have 2 versions. A medical version, and a rec version. You have to choose one or the other for each permit. I think the rec market will have more demand, but it is also riskier since there are basically no orders protecting it from the Feds. While the Medical market will be smaller, but there is an order which cuts funding to the DEA for targeting medical operations that are within state guidelines. Sessions was quoted saying something along the lines of still being able to target rec weed.

Mr^^

soil margin

Veteran
To make it a bit more complicated, not sure about every single permit but most of them have 2 versions. A medical version, and a rec version. You have to choose one or the other for each permit.

Mr^^

So essentially with most of the permits you only get to participate in the med market or the rec market? They block your business from the other one? This shit is just pissing me off more and more as I learn the details. I say bring back prohibition.

OregonBorn

Unfortunately at the sate level, Mj laws vary greatly. Then at the county level, Mj laws vary by the state and the county or city (muni) within that state. In California, any county or city municipality can ban or tax or limit commercial growing and sales of Mj. Not only that, but since Porp 54 ended all commercial medical grows and sales in state, all medical sales will also be banned in any munis that ban commercial sales of Mj. Even though in California the Prop 54 won by a HUGE margin of 80%! So at the muni level in California, you have to vote out your local elected officials in order to effect a change to the local county or city commercial Mj laws. Note that for legal commercial weed growing, processing and sales in California, local jurisdiction is by county or city, and they do not overlap. Meaning that if an incorporated city in Mendocino County wants to ban weed within the city limits, they can, even if the county allows it. The opposite also holds true. If a city in San Bernadino wants to legalize weed, they can, even though the county banned it.

As for large scale Mj operations inviting crime? That is simply not the case. Same with claims that legalizing weed increases the use among youth. In fact, the opposite has happened in Colorado and Oregon where growing and selling weed has been legal, and teen use of weed has declined since it became legal. But in politics, BS statistics always prevails. Similarly, in California, there are liquor stores on every corner and booze is half the price in California as it is in Oregon. In Oregon there are FAR fewer liquor stores. But is crime MORE in California than Oregon because more booze is sold in California and for cheaper? And is alcoholism any lower in Oregon? The answer is no, no and no. Oregon actually has the highest consumption of alcohol of any state per person. But booze is far more expensive, and a lot harder to get in Oregon than in California. Portland also has a 50% higher property crime rate than Los Angeles! Violent crime in the two cities is dead even.

Any advice?

My county won't allow commercial cannabis farming, regardless of size. They'll be having a public meeting in February and cannabis will be on the agenda, although the clerk doesn't expect any changes in the guidelines even with the new state permits that will be available. I'm planning on speaking, and I'm going to write emails/ letters to the council members. Is there anything else we can do? I feel like county governments are forcing people to operate outside the law since there isn't any way to work within it. I understand their position that large operations invite crime, but that's only caused by prohibition. With legalization, the price will drop, and honest law abiding farmers will be able to pursue income operating within the law without risk of retribution.

My request for my county is to allow small commercial grows with all the criteria met (away from schools, neighbors, sight of road, water source, etc). I doubt I'll change anyone's minds, but nothing will change unless people speak out.

Last edited:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Unfortunately at the sate level, Mj laws vary greatly. Then at the county level, Mj laws vary by the state and the county or city (muni) within that state. In California, any county or city municipality can ban or tax or limit commercial growing and sales of Mj. Not only that, but since Porp 54 ended all commercial medical grows and sales in state, all medical sales will also be banned in any munis that ban commercial sales of Mj. Even though in California the Prop 54 won by a HUGE margin of 80%! So at the muni level in California, you have to vote out your local elected officials in order to effect a change to the local county or city commercial Mj laws. Note that for legal commercial weed growing, processing and sales in California, local jurisdiction is by county or city, and they do not overlap. Meaning that if an incorporated city in Mendocino County wants to ban weed within the city limits, they can, even if the county allows it. The opposite also holds true. If a city in San Bernadino wants to legalize weed, they can, even though the county banned it.

As for large scale Mj operations inviting crime? That is simply not the case. Same with claims that legalizing weed increases the use among youth. In fact, the opposite has happened in Colorado and Oregon where growing and selling weed has been legal, and teen use of weed has declined since it became legal. But in politics, BS statistics always prevails. Similarly, in California, there are liquor stores on every corner and booze is half the price in California as it is in Oregon. In Oregon there are FAR fewer liquor stores. But is crime MORE in California than Oregon because more booze is sold in California and for cheaper? And is alcoholism any lower in Oregon? The answer is no, no and no. Oregon actually has the highest consumption of alcohol of any state per person. But booze is far more expensive, and a lot harder to get in Oregon than in California. Portland also has a 50% higher property crime rate than Los Angeles! Violent crime in the two cities is dead even.
Proposition 54 is a California ballot proposition that passed on the November 8, 2016 ballot. It requires the recording and posting of videos of public meetings of the State Legislature. The measure requires the recordings to be posted on the internet within 24 hours of a meeting, available online for at least 72 hours before a bill can be passed, and downloadable for at least 20 years. The measure also allows members of the public to record meetings.

UHH..prop 64 .

Proposition 64 applies only to adults 21 and older. That expands on existing law that allows cannabis use for medical purposes. ... Medical marijuana patients may still possess the quantities necessary to meet their medical needs, even in excess of the 28.5 gram limit.Nov 7, 2016

BUT...

LICENSES
Last year the state legislature passed breakthrough legislation consisting of three bills: AB 243, AB 266, and SB 643. Collectively known by many as "the act" these three bills provide a comprehensive regulatory framework for licensing commercial cannabis in California.

Cultivation licenses:

Type 1 = Cultivation; Specialty outdoor;
Type 1A = Cultivation; Specialty indoor;
Type 1B = Cultivation; Specialty mixed-light;
Type 1C = Cultivation; Specialty cottage; (AB 2516, 2016)
Type 2 = Cultivation; Outdoor; Small.
Type 2A = Cultivation; Indoor; Small.
Type 2B = Cultivation; Mixed-light; Small.
Type 3 = Cultivation; Outdoor; Medium.
Type 3A = Cultivation; Indoor; Medium.
Type 3B = Cultivation; Mixed-light; Medium.
Type 4 = Cultivation; Nursery.
Type 5 = Cultivation; Unlimited; (Prop. 64, 2016. Not available until 2023)
http://www.calgrowersassociation.org/licenses

BUT... is this changing according to CASH BRIBED POLITICIANS?

OregonBorn

Proposition 54... (snip)

BUT... is this changing according to CASH BRIBED POLITICIANS?

Well, I obviously made a typo here, mistyping 54 instead of 64. SO SORRY!!!! Shall I commit seppuku (ritual suicide) and fall on my sward to make you happy? Hooooawawwww!!!!! Thump.

At any rate, my references to medical going away is in regard to growing, processing and selling ~commercial~ weed, not personal possession limits, or taxes, or personal grows. Which, if you want to nit-pick, you left out the fact that a Cali medical card will also get you point of sales tax free weed from a rec store once they open up. But you will still pay the high excise sales taxes. Also if you grow your own weed in California, there is no limit to the amount of home-grown that you can have at your residence. At least not in the latest laws that I have read. But in general, the medical laws are being shelved in California, with the exception of back-filled laws in case the Feds come down on rec weed and some items regarding possession and sales taxes. Commercial weed in California is all going to rec. Oregon is doing the same lately, and pretty much forcing medical growers into using the OLCC rec systems and phasing out all commercial medical grows and sales as they have existed to this point, save for a break on sales tax and possession limits, age limits for medical users, and home grow limits.

I also do not see it as the politicians being bribed anywhere in California. However, many cities, counties and the state are either flat broke or deep in the red. They see weed as a savior to boost revenue and bail them out. Greed prevails. Also as I saw when I lived in California for many years, politicians are apt to spend 3x the amount of any proposed state, county and city revenue on pork barrel crap, and remain in the red as much as they possibly can. For doing that they are paying back those special interests that 'hired' them by putting up the cash to get them elected in the first place. I suppose you could call it a bribe, but that is how the system works, and pretty much always has.

Last edited:

soil margin

Veteran
Greed prevails.

See this doesn't make sense to me. If greed by tax collectors is the main motivation, why are there so many city/county limits on getting permits and limiting how many plants people can grow? It seems like if your primary motivation is collecting as much revenue as possible you shouldn't be capping the number of growers there is and how much they can grow. Maybe these people aren't even smart enough to realize that, I don't know.

MrsFarmer

See this doesn't make sense to me. If greed by tax collectors is the main motivation, why are there so many city/county limits on getting permits and limiting how many plants people can grow? It seems like if your primary motivation is collecting as much revenue as possible you shouldn't be capping the number of growers there is and how much they can grow. Maybe these people aren't even smart enough to realize that, I don't know.

That is the question.

Look at the shit show going on in Calaveras. The green rush growers really stepped on some toes, now its chaos out there.

I'm almost glad we're banned in our county, at least they don't have extra LE to crack down! But, it's pretty crappy, since they used to allow 24 plants, now the law is 12 in 100 sq ft outdoor. Yep, 100 sq ft.

Wendull C.

Veteran
We built this shit with jail time, wrecked families and lives, dead pets, humiliation of so called criminals. Now we handed it to the same fucks and have to pay them for the priviledge.

Great job california voters. At least now you can have your shit pen and smoke all yhat myclobutanil in the hot dog sauce. Fucking idiots...

:laughing:
We built this shit with jail time, wrecked families and lives, dead pets, humiliation of so called criminals. Now we handed it to the same fucks and have to pay them for the priviledge.

Great job california voters. At least now you can have your shit pen and smoke all yhat myclobutanil in the hot dog sauce. Fucking idiots...

:laughing: Prop 64, Forever known as the custy law. We all know the average American consumer are zombiez with fat wallets and big cars right? Mmm tobacco juice douche whistle

FreedomGrower

Veteran
Localities are only permitting large grows and capping licenses

Meanwhile they passed a bill today making whatever they want to fine you for over 6 plants legal now

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 34