What's new

Can someone tell me wtf this is?

BioBuddha

They also posted something called "rose gold" pretty much looked like this but it was still liquid. I've never seen anything like this before. My understanding was the purest form of THC is a crystalline structure. And anything in this consistency would max at about 95% ish because you need other compounds present to keep it in this consistency.

I'm new to the industry so please correct me if I am wrong and tell me wtf this is. Thanks!

Attachments

• 14947824_1905456453030939_6819912451904569270_n.jpg
    14947824_1905456453030939_6819912451904569270_n.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 14

Old Gold

That is probably ∆9-THC distillate. Cannibanoids exist as cannibanoid-acids in the plant (THCa, CBDa, etc), which are crystalline. In the distillation process (a form of purification), these cannibanoids have to be heated up, causing a reaction called "decarboxylation." This is basically CO2 detaching itself from the THC molecule. The resulting THC is orally active and smokeable, and usually like a very thick sap/resin, whereas THCa crystals are not orally active (crossing over to your brain, that is. Medicinal value is different). THCa crystals exist within the solution that we generally call "shatter".

BioBuddha

That is probably ∆9-THC distillate. Cannibanoids exist as cannibanoid-acids in the plant (THCa, CBDa, etc), which are crystalline. In the distillation process (a form of purification), these cannibanoids have to be heated up, causing a reaction called "decarboxylation." This is basically CO2 detaching itself from the THC molecule. The resulting THC is orally active and smokeable, and usually like a very thick sap/resin, whereas THCa crystals are not orally active (crossing over to your brain, that is. Medicinal value is different). THCa crystals exist within the solution that we generally call "shatter".

Thanks for your reply. I've successfully made "clear" through fractional distillation. Are they doing that process here you think? How have they completely removed all golden hue?

Old Gold

Very high purity, and they probably used different absorbents to help decolor it. Search for a thread titled "Short Path Distillation"...some of these methods are referred to in there.

I'm interested in the temperature at which the picture was taken.

"Clear" is activated, near pure ∆9-THC. That's also my best guess from the picture. You could probably achieve similar results by slowly and precisely decarboxylating a sample of pure THCa crystals.

montroller

I always wonder the temperature when I see pictures like this... how hard would it be to smash out some distillate on parchment, pop it in the freezer and snap a pic like this.

But I also heard something about using salt water to help remove any moisture before distilling will help make it stable like this. I wish I could explain it better but it was a little beyond my level when the guy was explaining it to me.

Old Gold

Roji. There is a picture of you holding a massive slab of distillate. Share the room conditions or forever be known as the Bunk Chemist!

From my understanding, they are just distilling nug run material instead of waste material as most extractors. They may be pre filtering will a adsorbant like silica , diatomaceous earth, carbon, etc etc

Gotta be a cold room, if it was stable like that we would see pictures from patients as well.

Old Gold

From my understanding, they are just distilling nug run material instead of waste material as most extractors. They may be pre filtering will a adsorbant like silica , diatomaceous earth, carbon, etc etc

Gotta be a cold room, if it was stable like that we would see pictures from patients as well.

What components would be present in a nug run distillate as opposed to any other distillate that makes it so stable?? I can't add that math up in my head however I try to rationalize..

Roji

Dude got too big of a head now...

He used to be cool, money sure changes people...

hah. I was never cool, you dumb ass.

My distillate pics are from about room temp down to about 65f...

I can barely get it out of a syringe at room temp.

Old Gold

It takes me a good 5 seconds to get a single dab of the distillate I'm smoking on right now out of a syringe at 70-80°F.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hah. I was never cool, you dumb ass.

My distillate pics are from about room temp down to about 65f...

I can barely get it out of a syringe at room temp.

I had noticed you'd pulled a 'thread' (in the lower left section.)

Thanks for the kindness.

:tiphat:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They also posted something called "rose gold" pretty much looked like this but it was still liquid. I've never seen anything like this before. My understanding was the purest form of THC is a crystalline structure. And anything in this consistency would max at about 95% ish because you need other compounds present to keep it in this consistency.

I'm new to the industry so please correct me if I am wrong and tell me wtf this is. Thanks!

It looks like the extract Pharmer Joe and I got extracting early harvest Skywalker. Almost no color in thin films and goes gray to black with depth, instead of to dark amber.

We extracted the material frozen and used ~-30C 70/30 mix to extract with.

BioBuddha

It looks like the extract Pharmer Joe and I got extracting early harvest Skywalker. Almost no color in thin films and goes gray to black with depth, instead of to dark amber.

We extracted the material frozen and used ~-30C 70/30 mix to extract with.

So this was achieved just messing with flower material? ie. early harvest and specific strain? BHO blast and distilled? I've just never seen this color anywhere unless it has been turned into a crystalline structure. Very interesting.

Thanks for your reply. I've successfully made "clear" through fractional distillation. Are they doing that process here you think? How have they completely removed all golden hue?
Keep distilling. If distilling once removes some color then repeating would do the same no? Nothing says you couldn't keep distilling to remove color. Although at some point you would reach the limit of its effectiveness, and I imagine that would be before you could get it to the shade pictured.
For that you would likely need an additional step to purify. A commonly used method in labs is chromatography and if you went that route you could create super pure products but the method generally isn't for industrial or commercial production. For that you might try using carbon after dewaxing.
I have another method I'm working on that is qualitatively pretty effective, but I need to see some numbers first. I need to find out how much cannabinoids are lost in the process.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I don't think that is a clear, because it is too stiff. Clear has been decarboxylated.

Just a straight early harvest extract from Sky Walker will give you exactly that color and consistency.

Pharmer Joe bleaches amber color from clear using a mixture of bentonite clays and chromatography beads. It comes out very light, but not that color or consistency.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dude got too big of a head now...

He used to be cool, money sure changes people...

Roji sure helped SPR partner Pharmer Joe develop our THCa crystal production, and who thinks he is still a kool dude!

Sadly, once you start consulting, because of non disclosure agreements, not everyone can share everything with impunity, including myself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts