What's new

High As Shit, Confused About Solvent Tanks...

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Ok, ive had many of solvent tanks from Mastercool and Manchester, just bought my first 100lb'r...

After dismantling a 20lb I bought earlier this year, I noticed tons of shit at the bottom, so I put that out of commission....

So im looking at buying a SS tank and notice everyone has a disclaimer for NOT storing solvent in the tank but use as a "working" tank...

I understand its from the tri clamp and pressures. But I really want to get away from aluminum tanks and am at a conundrum...

I notice the large tanks at Airgas are SS....

montroller

BHOgart has stainless tanks that you can safely store in... just look for the option without a removable lid. honestly, I have been storing in mine with a removable lid for over a year now with no problems, not using a propane mix though and it stays in a water bath at all times.

krunchbubble

Veteran
BHOgart has stainless tanks that you can safely store in... just look for the option without a removable lid. honestly, I have been storing in mine with a removable lid for over a year now with no problems, not using a propane mix though and it stays in a water bath at all times.

Their 5lb tank is around $1200!

What if I stored in a SS tank with a pressure release valve and replace the gasket every month?

montroller

xtractor depot has a similar tank for half the price but you have to buy your own fittings and I don't think I have ever seen them in stock.

Old Gold

Are the stainless tanks at Airgas you speak of the type that's used for liquid N2 or CO2? You could definitely use one of those, and set the pressure release to something like 250 psi. No gasket necessary. As long as you aren't leaving the tank in 120-130°F heat, you won't come close to that point. Still, consider keeping it in a well-ventilated area, or route the pressure release upwards, outwards, and away.

There are smaller ones with, say, a 40L capacity. Check eBay and Amazon.

Search terms may include: *high pressure liquid nitrogen co2 dewar tank*

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are the stainless tanks at Airgas you speak of the type that's used for liquid N2 or CO2? You could definitely use one of those, and set the pressure release to something like 250 psi. No gasket necessary. As long as you aren't leaving the tank in 120-130°F heat, you won't come close to that point. Still, consider keeping it in a well-ventilated area, or route the pressure release upwards, outwards, and away.

There are smaller ones with, say, a 40L capacity. Check eBay and Amazon.

Search terms may include: *high pressure liquid nitrogen co2 dewar tank*

Carrying that thought through, Dewars are vacuum jacket insulated thermoses, designed to keep things hot or cold, but not so good at heating or cooling their contents.

A solution might be to plumb the vacuum jacket and pump coolant through it, or warm water if using a vapor assist.

I designed a 100# 304L refrigerant recovery tank, to DOT design standards with regard to skirts and valve protection, and included a water purge valve in the bottom, while still at WolfWurx.

As I recall, first article was around $9000, but subsequent tanks were around $2300/per, without valves, from an ASME pressure vessel manufacturer, but without DOT certs.

I never found a source that could certify a stainless DOT tank, and have yet to understand exactly why, other than corrosion resistant aluminum tanks are non sparking..............?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

ASME LPG standards change at 6", but under 6" LPG tanks and piping must be at least 350 psi, which a 13MHP high pressure clamp meets at 4", and an SSH exceeds at 6".

My take on their unsuitability for DOT is subjecting them to vibration, shock, and heat, as well as what heat, cold, and age do to elastomer gasket materials.

Someone noted that you must first understand a fixed firm inviolable rule, to best understand how to violate it properly.

My take on a clean out port under 4", properly maintained with SSH clamp, not subjected to extreme heat or cold, is that it would be as safe as the columns we are currently using, and subjecting to extremes in cold.

krunchbubble

Veteran
Gray Wolf;7684248 My take on a clean out port under 4" said:
not subjected to extreme heat or cold, is that it would be as safe as the columns we are currently using, and subjecting to extremes in cold. [/COLOR]

I like what im reading!

I recover through a 3/8" 50' coil in DI/Alchy slurry and the tank can get extremely cold during recovery, valves frozen over...

Would the solvent tank still be fine to use?