What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Isobutane and Stability....

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
First batch running 70/30 isobutane and am in absolute love with it. Color is great, and the SMELL! But I seem to be having a hell of a time getting it stable...

Its been 4 days in the oven @ 100F and I still have to freeze the slab to flip it over. Flipped maybe 8 times by now. Does not seem to want to get any more stable and I want it out of the oven, taking too long...

Suggestions?

krunchbubble

Veteran
Any signs of nucleation? Is it outdoor trim? Super fresh?

No nucleation whatsoever...

Greenhouse Grown...

Trimmer trimmed...

Ran another strain from same grow, but with 100% nbutane and it was stable..

montroller

Probably terpene profile, do they smell/taste different... My runs with the mix gave me sugar from fresh trim every time.

Gtir

What's your solvent mix? I tried ISO for a while and stopped because it doesn't get stable and it sugars up. I'm back to 70/30-50/50 n/prop

krunchbubble

Veteran
Ya after trying 105 for 24 hours im getting no change, so as everyone is mentioning it must be the mix...

Im about to order some nbutane.

Its easy to mix I assume? I have a 100 lb solvent tank. Just weight it with the isobutane in there and add nbutane to attain a better ratio?

What is this new Florasol 134a Im seeing?

Pangea

Veteran
What are the possibilities?

1. Your not able or have yet to purge the iso-butane so its remaining causing the oil to stay liquidy

2. Your not able or have yet to purge excess terpenes so its remaining and causing the oil to stay liquidy

3. Your oil is decarbed more than not and causing your oil to stay liquidy

4. ???

How does it react when pulling down?

How old was the herb?

How good was the herb, what variety?

I'd put a couple grams into a small pot chamber and bump it to 115 for an hour and see whats up.

My bets on option 2, even if the only dif was iso vs n, perhaps the iso is picking up more terps.

Iso should purge easier than N, no?

krunchbubble

Veteran
So my solvent tank has about 16.5 lbs of 70/30 isobutane in there...

How may lbs of nbutane should be added for a more stable product? Thinking around 5 lbs?

krunchbubble

Veteran
Bought some 70/30 Butane/propane and mixed 8lbs into the 16.5 lbs of butane/iso....

Holy fuck is this solvent mix turning out ridiculous slabs!

My only concern is its at a higher pressure and I cant do a pour out anymore because their is no liquid solvent, have to scrape to get it out....

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to hear!

Someone clued me in there's another gas supplier up there,

http://www.ultrapureenterprises.com

Shame about the scrapping, I can't figure out why no one's tried coating the inside of the shatter platters with PTFE/Teflon. Or, find me a post anywhere of someone that's tried using a PTFE/Teflon coated baking or fry pan instead of a Pyrex dish for boil off? No scrapping, vac purge right in the pan.

Peace bro

Last edited:

Gtir

Bought some 70/30 Butane/propane and mixed 8lbs into the 16.5 lbs of butane/iso....

Holy fuck is this solvent mix turning out ridiculous slabs!

My only concern is its at a higher pressure and I cant do a pour out anymore because their is no liquid solvent, have to scrape to get it out....

What mix of solvent are you using exactly? You can still pour off just wait until you get to zero psi and open it up. Are you using a molecular sieve ?

krunchbubble

Veteran
What mix of solvent are you using exactly? You can still pour off just wait until you get to zero psi and open it up. Are you using a molecular sieve ?

Stopped the system at 10, 20 and even 30 psi(Dont Do That), to try to pour soup....

By the time your at 0 psi, its super fluff and unpourable....

2"X36" molecular sieve.....

Took a pic as I was flipping slabs last night...

Old Gold

Nice to hear!

Someone clued me in there's another gas supplier up there,

http://www.ultrapureenterprises.com

Shame about the scrapping, I can't figure out why no one's tried coating the inside of the shatter platters with PTFE/Teflon. Or, find me a post anywhere of someone that's tried using a PTFE/Teflon coated baking or fry pan instead of a Pyrex dish for boil off? No scrapping, vac purge right in the pan.

Peace bro

I don't know that I trust most "Teflon" coated bakeware. Definitely use a brand new one, as they often come with instruction to cook off the coating on direct flame for some 30 minutes before using for your food.

I remember mentioning a cylindrical PTFE insert with friends. It needs something of a compression ring to hold it in place, or fit very tightly to the lid (end cap) of the collection pot. Perhaps an extrusion along the interior walls that the PTFE insert will fit tightly against, face to face, as well as along the walls of the collection cylinder.

I think it's more practical to utilize a minimal spout/bottom pour onto a sheet of PTFE paper. I would recommend minimizing the scraping of PTFE. It deforms as easily as pressing a fingernail into it, so I'm not sure if it fragments in microscopic pieces. Not something you really want to vape...

As long as nothing is scraped off, I am still interested in trying the PTFE shatter platter out. Gotta get someone to fabricate

Lol krunchbubble! Easy with the high-pressure-undoing-of-clamps, brother. You've seen what 73 psi of bolt-action can do, haven't you?
Stay safe. :huggg:

krunchbubble

Veteran
Lol krunchbubble! Easy with the high-pressure-undoing-of-clamps, brother. You've seen what 73 psi of bolt-action can do, haven't you?
Stay safe. :huggg:

Lol, I stopped the system at 30psi, let the pressure out through a valve to 0psi. Just Trying to get a pour....

What I DID DO that was not cool was valve the 3X36" tube off at 30psi and forgot to recover the butane from it. Went to clean out the tube, Opened the ball valve and 555 grams of material shot everywhere like a snow machine. The Trim had such force it stained my pants green and ended up on the roof of my house, LOL. My gutters are full of trim right now... :biggrin:

My second ever trim blowout in 13 years....

blastfrompast

Veteran
Lol, I stopped the system at 30psi, let the pressure out through a valve to 0psi. Just Trying to get a pour....

What I DID DO that was not cool was valve the 3X36" tube off at 30psi and forgot to recover the butane from it. Went to clean out the tube, Opened the ball valve and 555 grams of material shot everywhere like a snow machine. The Trim had such force it stained my pants green and ended up on the roof of my house, LOL. My gutters are full of trim right now... :biggrin:

My second ever trim blowout in 13 years....

Ahhh this woulda made for good Youtube material....

krunchbubble

Veteran
Ya, this odd mix of solvent has churned out THE BEST slabs ive ever made...

18.5 lbs of 70/30 Isobutane, PLUS 8 lbs of 70/30 Butane/Propane...

Can anyone figure out that ratio?

Old Gold

Ya, this odd mix of solvent has churned out THE BEST slabs ive ever made...

18.5 lbs of 70/30 Isobutane, PLUS 8 lbs of 70/30 Butane/Propane...

Can anyone figure out that ratio?

26.5 lbs of solvent, composed of:
11.15 lbs n-butane : 12.95 lbs iso-butane : 2.4 lbs propane
Rounding to the nearest percent, that is [respectively]:
49:42:9

This is assuming you haven't used and recovered those solvent mixes previously. I can't say how cleanly you're going to recover the lighter components alone, considering the likely recovery temperatures and procedures, but I do believe it would naturally happen over time (I am referring to recovering propane before iso-butane-before n-butane).

I can't say I have much experience with propane or iso-butane, but from what I hear, iso-butane and propane seem to produce very similar results - and this makes sense, simply due to the three-carbon chain that defines both chemicals. You are close to a 50/50 mix.

Gtir

26.5 lbs of solvent, composed of:
11.15 lbs n-butane : 12.95 lbs iso-butane : 2.4 lbs propane
Rounding to the nearest percent, that is [respectively]:
49:42:9

This is assuming you haven't used and recovered those solvent mixes previously. I can't say how cleanly you're going to recover the lighter components alone, considering the likely recovery temperatures and procedures, but I do believe it would naturally happen over time (I am referring to recovering propane before iso-butane-before n-butane).

I can't say I have much experience with propane or iso-butane, but from what I hear, iso-butane and propane seem to produce very similar results - and this makes sense, simply due to the three-carbon chain that defines both chemicals. You are close to a 50/50 mix.

When he references 70/30 ISO I think he means this, https://ecogreenindustries.net/product/isobutane-custom-blend-7030-99-97-purity/

Which means more propane and less N

Latest posts

Latest posts