What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Headbanger

Karma G

Vendor
Veteran
here some Headbanger by my buddy Breeder B.

picture.php

picture.php

X

Xray Kimono

Karma G,

Do you see much variation in phenos, say, for example, if I popped 10 seeds, how many different phenos should I expect?

I'm not Karma but I popped 2 packs of Headbangers that had 12 seeds each. 13 females out of 24 beans and got 4 different phenos. The Sourest one didn't really start smelling sour until week 10 in the middle of flush. And REALLY smelled sour after drying up well.

:tiphat:
Peace!
Xray

I'm not Karma but I popped 2 packs of Headbangers that had 12 seeds each. 13 females out of 24 beans and got 4 different phenos. The Sourest one didn't really start smelling sour until week 10 in the middle of flush. And REALLY smelled sour after drying up well.

:tiphat:
Peace!
Xray

I appreciate it Brotha!

apeshot

Anyone grown Headbanger in organic soil?

I'll be popping beans for a couple of Karma strains next week - Headbanger, Biker Kush, Karma OG and Stawbanana Cream are my candidates. I have one pack of each except for the Biker (2x packets) and the SBC were freebies (5x seeds).

I am using dank.frank's mix with some small modifications due to availability of the amendments. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has grown any of the above strains (in particular the Headbanger though) in organic soil.

nickman

Veteran
Ocean forest mixed with happy frog by Fox Farm...
And
One run in a nice me from Michigan called Michigan made Mix or M3...

They came out great both times...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone grown Headbanger in organic soil?

I'll be popping beans for a couple of Karma strains next week - Headbanger, Biker Kush, Karma OG and Stawbanana Cream are my candidates. I have one pack of each except for the Biker (2x packets) and the SBC were freebies (5x seeds).

I am using dank.frank's mix with some small modifications due to availability of the amendments. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has grown any of the above strains (in particular the Headbanger though) in organic soil.

Hey Ape. While I don't have pictures of Headbanger grown in that mix I do have some photos of Brotherhood OG grown in it:

This was a slightly more airy pheno that had a CRAZY cucumber/melon/skunk butt/earthy smell that was insane. Certainly a pheno impacted by the flavor of the Happy Brother.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The mix does good with Karma Gear. With the Headbangers, just as Karma posted above, you may find if they start running towards 12wks they will get hungry. P/K boost during the heaviest onset of flowering for them will really help them fill out too if yield is a concern.

That basic soil mix I have posted doesn't yield as good as some other mixes I run, BUT - it does produce excellent quality and accurate flavors.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

apeshot

Thanks bubsicles, nickman and dank.frank appreciate your insights. My original plan to start with the Headbangers had to be postponed until November due to the seeds not getting to me in time.

So, instead I have started with Karma's OG and Biker Kush V2 in the soil mix of dank.franks that I mentioned earlier. Plants are looking very lush and green although it seems there are some small pH issues (some leaf crinkling after watering in particular). Can I ask if you know the pH of the water that you use in that mix, and whether or not you pH it? I am using water that is close to pH 8, and feel that if I was to adjust this down to say 6.5 - 7 then it should solve the issues.

I can't wait to start the Headbangers, the seeds arrived a few weeks after planting the KOG and BK. They do look quite small and grey-green so I'm hoping I won't have any germination issues. Definitely not as large and tiger-striped as I am accustomed to seeing though.

Lastly, that Brotherhood looks amazing. If I can get a result half as good as that, I will be pleased.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not sure why people keep having what they view as pH issues with that mix. I've NEVER pH'ed my water once transitioning to organic soil - over a decade ago. I don't even own a pH meter.

I suggest EVERYONE use RO water - simply because it eliminates any possible variables from what works best as a controlled system.

I really don't know what to tell you in that regard. I know the mix is STRONGER than what many people would expect. I can't help but wonder if people aren't composting properly and putting plants into hot soil.

I've had this mix lab tested several times and pH usually checks in a 5.7 after a week and then after composting for about 6 weeks it tends to rest around 6.3-6.5.

dank.Frank

apeshot

I'm not sure why people keep having what they view as pH issues with that mix. I've NEVER pH'ed my water once transitioning to organic soil - over a decade ago. I don't even own a pH meter.

I suggest EVERYONE use RO water - simply because it eliminates any possible variables from what works best as a controlled system.

I really don't know what to tell you in that regard. I know the mix is STRONGER than what many people would expect. I can't help but wonder if people aren't composting properly and putting plants into hot soil.

I've had this mix lab tested several times and pH usually checks in a 5.7 after a week and then after composting for about 6 weeks it tends to rest around 6.3-6.5.

dank.Frank

Thanks for the extra info. I've decided to start pH'ing my water to ~6.8 just to see if that makes a difference. More as an experiment than anything else, as the plants are still doing fine. Generally they show signs of a pH swing after watering (some leaves twist, or the occasional rust spot on some of the leaves), then the following day when I check them the symptoms haven't advanced any further at all, and the plant is happy and growing like normal.

As for the strength of the mix, I used bagged compost that I purchased as I didn't have enough of my own, so perhaps as you are saying it hasn't been composted properly and that could be the reason why it seems so hot.

But, when I say this, it's only hot enough to cause a very small amount of clawing on a few, not all, of the strains I'm growing. So no big drama, I'd rather have it a little hotter now and minimise having to feed later on.

I mixed up plenty of this same recipe at the same time and a lot of the tubs have been sitting for 8 weeks or more now, so when I start using that to transplant into, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't show any ill effects at all.

Either way, this soil mix blows away anything I have used in the past.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
so am I assuming correctly that the headbanger is an 11 week flowering time?
I've got a sack of F2's I might run along side the new testers when they arrive.

Cannavore

Veteran
getting busy on some headbangers and club69 og's here shortly! i'll also be breaking my KG cherry, these'll be the first beans of his i am growing =D

X

Xray Kimono

Both packs of my Headbangers went at least 11-12 weeks too... the fluffier ones that stack more are the most Sour and go about 12 almost 13 but it is worth it... especially the dabs.