What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love the hottest peppers!

M

michael68

gorgeous habaneros ^

i just spent like 5 minutes staring at my pepper plant and admiring it lol. has a bunch of like 4 inch cayennes that aren't quite red and mature yet, tried one and it tasted too "chlorophyllish" and green.

my tomato plants are massive and there's a bunch of green ones on them. hopefully they mature and make it through this heat fine.

B

bonecarver_OG

i think tomatoes mature faster in heat :D hot days i allways harvest a whole bunch!

the cayennes are not that tasty when green. i tried some too of mines, but im going to leave all of them untill they get red. if u want to snip some chilis green, plant some varieties that are harvested green :) things like jalapeños or the spanish guindillas are awesome snacks. not killer heat but tasty. having those helps to leave the others to mature.

im getting an insane amount of chilis. i definetly overdid it. and my 30 plants of tropical chili varieties havent even started flowering yet. things are getting hectic,.. :) its great!

peace

M

michael68

Cheers dude I picked a smaller one yesterday, small but it packed heat and had an awesome taste.

They seem to ripen and turn red from the bottom up.

I think on the 4th I will about 6 for salsa.

Should I let them air dry a bit on strings in a room then move to the fridge/use for salsa?

Cheers for any help.

Also can I sun dry cayennes for preserving/powder and how should I do it?

B

bonecarver_OG

nah use them fresh - no need to airdry for making salsas. the more juice from the chili the more flavour :D

for drying in the sun i think ppl recomend to slice the chilis in two lengthwise. you can also dry int he owen on low heat, it should work better than sundryinjg and faster. less risk of mould too.

under the sun the chilis are exposed to all kinds of fungus spores, bacterias and what not. maybe they dont mould while drying, but if there is even a small amount of humidity left the chilis pieces can mould in storage.

it can bwe very dificult to spot the white fine mould that grows inside the chilis since it looks a lot like the white normal "veins" inside unless its really a lot of mould.

i lost 2 jars of dried chili like that. maybe also the humid climate messed it up further. maybe using silica gel or other desecants can help?

i use green hot chilis to make a nice paste, by grinding them up with very little vinegar, and leave in the fridge to soak for 2-3 days then i sieve it. it gives a very tasty green hot chili sauce. :D

the cayennes i got are all green. some bushes got 100's chilis on the way. its going to be interesting to see when they decide to go red :D :D

the rest of all the chilis i got of baccatum varieties are still not flowering. im sure they will start soon enough.

peace all!

peace all

peace!

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
267601_358704614977_91258414977_1452156_4141043_n.jpg

B

bonecarver_OG

:) nice one :) i wonder how short time it will last :D hehe i mean the record :D

i read about that one a few months back but it seems oficial now! it will make the seed prices high i bet....

B

bonecarver_OG

was today at an indian restaurant :) ate an awesome jalfresi :)

during the dinner the chef came out to ask if i liked hot food, and i said yeah man i love it. in short i had a litle plate with 2 kinds of fresh green chilis on my table. it was really tasty :) they got quite impressed by me eating 4 of them, so i supose they dont see it happen so often. all in all great ppl, food and evening.

the chef grows a north indian chili variety from PUNJAB here in spain, and asures me it SURVIVES the WINTER!! he just cuts down the plant a lot, and waters it every 10 days, and it grows new shoots in the spring/summer. he said it gets more vigorous by the year.

i brought home one of the chilis :D hopefully some of the seeds might sprout! it would be great to get a eternal chili bush going on.

should point out PUNJAB is a northern indian region and they do get a winter.

he just knew the name as "green chili" and he said its mostly harvested green, but fully ripe it gets red.

the other chili the chef had impored from UK. it was also a green chili, but with BLACK seeds! also this a indian variety but from more southern regions.

yeah.. and COBRA beer is awesome :D

peace all

M

michael68

some cayennes. still not mature but i'm gonna air dry them (it's dry out here, i will string them in the shade under the patio though so the sun doesn't beat down on them)

eiut5f.jpg

meddy

ok...getting a little warm in here...well heres a couple to anti up..

serrabanero...yes..Serrano x orange habanero ..new mexico uni emailed me about this gem...its way hotter than red habaneros..these may go... 800.000 scoville.
look at how oily these serabaneros are...

attachment.php

next..bhut jolokia india peppers..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• b 003.jpg
    b 003.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 16
  • chilrs 005.jpg
    chilrs 005.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 15
  • b 001.jpg
    b 001.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 12
B

bonecarver_OG

michael68 - from that stage its not more than a few weeks untill fully ripe and red. the flavour on the cayennes improves a lot when mature. anyway i have never heard of dried green chilies :D so keep us posted on that.
i think u should put the chilies IN DIRECT sunlight, that is how chilies ARE dried normally when using the sun. in the shade the mould risk is imense.

sun drying will not affect taste of potency at all in ANY negative way if dried fast.

drying slow, the chili might start to ROT from its own humidity.

meddy - thats looking good :D the serrabanero sounds interesting! i gotto try to find it for next season :D hehe same goes with the bhut jolokia, if i find a cheap suply of seeds. :)

in my garden im having lots of fun picking red ripe cayennes :) the variety i grow is complettelly diffrerent to the ones mikael is showing above. mine are more crooked, skinny and longer. looks all together as a different cayenne cultivar. my exotic chilies are starting to flower finally, a bit late, but for next season i will plant them MUCH earlier.

btw, the baccatums, some of them really surprise me with their looks. so different to normal pepper and chili varieties. one kind i got growing is called bubba and can grow up to 2,5m tall!

peace

D

dramamine

Those serrabenaros look delicious...two of the best tasting peppers crossed. Damn, now I have to taste them. Great post..

B

bonecarver_OG

ah damn, i just saw how good prices the numex shop has!

damn annoying though its necesary to call in international orders. but i guess it can still be a money saver with their much bigger seed packs, compared to the shop i got mine in!

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
numex's prices arent that good. what varieties are you looking for?

about the baccatums... yeah, bisop's crowns are pretty odd looking

aji santa cruz
picture.php

my first pepper hybridization
picture.php

havent got a single pepper from my bhut jolokia or aji amarillo... flowers keep falling off :'(

Last edited:
M

michael68

michael68 - from that stage its not more than a few weeks untill fully ripe and red. the flavour on the cayennes improves a lot when mature. anyway i have never heard of dried green chilies :D so keep us posted on that.
i think u should put the chilies IN DIRECT sunlight, that is how chilies ARE dried normally when using the sun. in the shade the mould risk is imense.

sun drying will not affect taste of potency at all in ANY negative way if dried fast.

drying slow, the chili might start to ROT from its own humidity.

meddy - thats looking good :D the serrabanero sounds interesting! i gotto try to find it for next season :D hehe same goes with the bhut jolokia, if i find a cheap suply of seeds. :)

in my garden im having lots of fun picking red ripe cayennes :) the variety i grow is complettelly diffrerent to the ones mikael is showing above. mine are more crooked, skinny and longer. looks all together as a different cayenne cultivar. my exotic chilies are starting to flower finally, a bit late, but for next season i will plant them MUCH earlier.

btw, the baccatums, some of them really surprise me with their looks. so different to normal pepper and chili varieties. one kind i got growing is called bubba and can grow up to 2,5m tall!

peace
Cheers man. Yeah I was too impatient, seemed to be taking a while to mature lol. I just moved them out in the sun now that you told me. I agree the flavor is bad, I tried one and it tasted greenish and no spice, damn...

What kind cayennes do you have? Do smaller peppers grow easier?

B

bonecarver_OG

the seed bag i bought was only labelled "cayenne" so i dont really know wich one of the cultivars sold as cayanne it really is. anyway, just wait a while more and u will get some spice for sure :D

there is many cultivars of "cayenne" and there is everything from straigth, to bent etc.

i hand polinate to make sure i get big yields.

peace

H

H^2o2

Nice thread mayng. I love peppers too. Dave's Insanity Sauce anyone? Nice growing guys