What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another pest ID request. :)

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Thought I would post up a couple pics of pest damage,and an unidentified pest.

I was alerted to the problem by light colored (white) spots on the leaf surface.The bug is actively grazing.The bug and the black spots are not visible (at least with my eyesight) without the aid of magnification.

Pics taken with one of those $15 usb microscopes.Actually works pretty well for the $.

Thanks for any help.

Slim

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 28

imiubu

Thrips. Early instar.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/php/gotpests/bugs/images/thrips/west-flower-thrips-big.jpg

The top of the leaves will show little squiggly/ shiny/ silvery tracks.

1T 91% Iso
2T 3% H202
.5t veg oil or dish soap. I use Dr. Bronners.
1qt warm water

Saturate under then over leaves up to 3 wks from harvest.
Kills on contact. Mist plants again in 3-5 days depending upon infestation.

I also mist/ rinse my plants well the 2nd day after treating to wash dead bugs off.

Take another look the day after treatment. You will see the insects look like little light orange colored raisins haha.
Die you bastids... die!

I've never had to mist plants more than 2x's.
I will never again use a commercial insect treatment. This recipe works that well.

Best.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
The blackspots are I think poop...thrip larvae poop? Either way, you in veg or flower..veg you must just treat and treat and use translaminars with multiple modes of action and horticultural oils..and biologicals..

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Looks like 2nd larval instar of thrips. After that it leaves the foliage and pupates in the soil for a number of days then the adult emerges.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Thought I would post up a couple pics of pest damage,and an unidentified pest.

I was alerted to the problem by light colored (white) spots on the leaf surface.The bug is actively grazing.The bug and the black spots are not visible (at least with my eyesight) without the aid of magnification.

Pics taken with one of those $15 usb microscopes.Actually works pretty well for the $.

Thanks for any help.

Slim
Powdery Mildew and Russett Mites.

https://bigbudsmag.com/wp-content/uploads/bbpowderymil_0.jpg

https://support.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/t/best-way-to-take-care-of-russet-mites/38206/3

Slim Pickens

Veteran

Thank you for the ID VerdantGreen.Knowing what you are dealing with is half the battle.

Thrips. Early instar.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/php/gotpests/bugs/images/thrips/west-flower-thrips-big.jpg

The top of the leaves will show little squiggly/ shiny/ silvery tracks.

1T 91% Iso
2T 3% H202
.5t veg oil or dish soap. I use Dr. Bronners.
1qt warm water

Saturate under then over leaves up to 3 wks from harvest.
Kills on contact. Mist plants again in 3-5 days depending upon infestation.

I also mist/ rinse my plants well the 2nd day after treating to wash dead bugs off.

Take another look the day after treatment. You will see the insects look like little light orange colored raisins haha.
Die you bastids... die!

I've never had to mist plants more than 2x's.
I will never again use a commercial insect treatment. This recipe works that well.

Best.

I appreciate the recipe for treatment.I had some Spinosad in the garage,but I'll be darned if I can find it.If I do,I might just throw a spray of that in for good measure.

The blackspots are I think poop...thrip larvae poop? Either way, you in veg or flower..veg you must just treat and treat and use translaminars with multiple modes of action and horticultural oils..and biologicals..

I'm in perpetual veg it seems.Keeping a few around for later grows,and a couple that I would prefer not to lose.

Looks like 2nd larval instar of thrips. After that it leaves the foliage and pupates in the soil for a number of days then the adult emerges.

Hopefully I won't have to deal with another emergence,but if I do,at least I will recognize what I have.

Bug poop is also called frass.:dance013:

That microscope saved the day Buzz.You won't believe how often I use the thing,software issues and all.When I finally got it focused on the thrips,one looked up at me and flipped me the bird.Now it's personal!Sassy little bastid.Probably excretes sassy frass.<GROAN> LOL

I looked around for a video so that I could eliminate any doubt as to what I was dealing with.This video proved it convincingly.

[YOUTUBEIF]Yp2zXV0f-cQ[/YOUTUBEIF]

imiubu

Excellent! Yep, identification is the first step in treatment.
I've had these little guys a few times. Once you've had them, you can spot them immediately when they visit again. The silvery trails on the top of leaves are a sure give away for me.

A few years ago a buddy posted that recipe I put in here. I wrote it down as he raved about how effective it was. Next time I had insects I used some overly priced commercial stuff. Sigh, they all take repetitive treatments. With the above recipe, it kills them on contact, even eggs. I do a follow up treatment of course as they can/ will hide in the tiniest of crevices. Truly amazing stuff, I kid not one bit. I gave away all my commercial stuff and use the homemade recipe exclusively now.

Kills the borg on contact also.
I'd rather have thrips than mites :)
I'd rather have mites than root aphids ;)
I'd rather never have any insects but... they are an inevitable part of gardening.

Best.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
IPM, prevention is key...The facility that I run, my thrip load dropped considerably once I had them thoroughly weed all the areas around the indoor rooms and wet wall areas of the greenhouses and actually the entire farm.. And got them to spray out the pepper greenhouses adjacent..

To really keep the thrip at bay with all the agricultural activity around me, I have to smash the moms and clones with weekly sprays of organic knockdowns, oils and alternative reasonably non toxic organic systemics, and then alternate that with bacteria and fungi that eat insects, and inoculate my media with the same, and smash the flowering plants with early flower sprays of helpful biologicals, and release predatory mites and orius bugs in later flower... And I have to limit cross contamination brought in by staff and others that have visited other farms, like the "pest management" consultant LOL..who before my stint here was visiting ten other farms to ID pests and then coming here and inspecting "clean" rooms...With pests being holistic and looking at the bigger picture and going with it with all you got when you can, and being clean and keeping your growing areas clean, and areas around clean and weed free, then you wont have significant issues once in flower and you cannot spray or treat. The bugs must want to run away from your plants!

But it works..all of it together keeps them from starting cycles in my plants and affecting my bosses bottom lines. You cant let bugs get their toe in the door, what you can see is a fraction of the problem, and once you allow cycles to set in and eggs to be laid, its and uphill battle, best is to make clean and keep clean.

foo dog

Biological control of thrips is the way to go in my experience. There's a number of options, but start by giving a good clean down.

Bmac1

Veteran
For anyone on IG, you should give synchangel a follow. Very informative posts and he also engages in comments and questions. Super helpful when it comes to pests.