What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Resurrecting DJs blueberry

OZZ_

Veteran
I’m no blueberry expert like Elainus but I vote open pollination!!

Flo F5? I’m curious

How about BlueberryFlo pollen chuck?

Could be a fun project for down the road but at the moment I’m focused on locking down a blueberry keeper. Have to stay the course ;)

OZZ_

Veteran
You only need one pack. Open pollinate, keep your best female(s), identify/label your best female seed lots, search for a good male in the F6s to back cross to your female(s). You might even consider making S1s. Either way, make lots of seed and you can play around in that gene pool for ages. Get your hands on a legit original cut down the line and hit it with your BB pollen. Endless possibilities. Well worth the hunt.

M.

Thanks to everyone who has chimmed in on this thread, I appreciate it. I just read through the other similar thread The blueberry trials and I think I’m going to have to grab a pack of the bluedigiberry also.

That gives me a pack of DJs BB F5, a pack of Moscas OTM and a pack of verdant greens bluedigiberry.... I’ll start working my way through those genetics and see what I can find, starting with DJs.

Anyone know where I can find a pack of the bluedigiberry?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
How's it going OZZ?

Cool project! I highly recommend the Bluedigiberry as you probably already know. Hopefully VerdantGreen will chime in on how to obtain the BDB seeds soon.

I'll be eager to follow along and see what you find.

I am ordering some different company's blueberries for a grow out at some point here this Spring.

Best of luck on your grow!

OZZ_

Veteran
SS, I have no agenda, you can be sure of that. There is just an experience that I am trying to share. I clearly said how many seeds I bought

The reason I say, that you dont need 5 packs is, that almost all the Blueberries that I tried carried great euphoric effect, that is what I am saying from the start. But if you buy more packs, you have simply better chance to find something really special. I found one green totally sativa blueberry, with no color at all, that was extremely strong and lasting about 4 hours. She was unique phenotype, but the high missed that blissful element for me so didnt keepr her. Believe it or not, it was not easy to select a keeper as there were many great plants, I eventually kept 4 phenotypes for almost 2 years and made some crosses with them.

Very reassuring and thanks for sharing your experiences. I have the pack arriving Saturday and I also have a line on a few different sources of original BB seeds that have been worked by members of IC, so that will increase my gene pool and give me something to compare and/or breed back into if necessary. Looks like some fun times ahead!

Very reassuring and thanks for sharing your experiences. I have the pack arriving Saturday and I also have a line on a few different sources of original BB seeds that have been worked by members of IC, so that will increase my gene pool and give me something to compare and/or breed back into if necessary. Looks like some fun times ahead!

I hope you find what you are looking for.

he's released a special true floral line recently. One that has built a ton of hype around it over the years that all the DJ short nut huggers go on and on about in their threads that sparked the Oaxacan strain fetish. You might want to look into that.

The way I figure it. It might be best to open pollinate a few pure dj short lines to dig through and just inbreed the keepers from the various lines. Having something from the floral lines might be a good way to amplify the top notes and it's been kept separate from the BB lines long enough that it might add some vigor.

I just posted this in the other blueberry thread but I though I'd post it here too.

I know I'm just some nobody but I LOVED the old school blueberry I used to get. It was arguably my all time favorite strain. In my opinion the chase after the "blue" flavor is overlooking something critical to what gives blueberry that special effect based on my observations.

It seems people want to outcross blueberry to bring back the magic but they are in my opinion missing the point entirely and I'll tell you why I think that.

With all the blue crosses I tried the scent combined with the other parental plant in different ways. Either the "blue" crossed over or the floral did but the other critical scent component of blue berry was lost or perhaps replaced rather by the scent profile of the other plant and fundamentally changed the effect. That scent profile that doesn't cross over in the hybrids is 'white hard woods.'

In Sweet tooth and Blue dream I do not detect blue at all but I do detect the floral aspect of blueberry and the sweetness melding with the other plant. When the blue is lost, so do I think is missing from the effect that I can detect in hybrids where the blue crosses over. The thing is in both blue dream and Sweet tooth the other parental component of the hybrid closes off the 'white hard woods' so it no longer carries that 'spiritual opening the doors of perception' effect.

That's why whenever I see the blueberry hybrids offered I don't really have any interest other than the bluedigiberry but that is just based on anecdotal reports of other experiences which might differ from my own.

I'm of the opinion that to keep what makes blueberry special intact the other parental plant needs to compliment the scent component it replaces. Which is why I think the Bushy Old Grower strain is a poor choice for an outcross. While the blue may carry over and it adds resin potency and structure the scent doesn't meld well with 'white hard woods.' Which will probably mucky up the effect.

So to bring the full blueberry spectrum back and possibly better than it's ever been the parental plant in the initial outcross needs to have a complimentary scent profile to 'white hard woods' that accentuates it rather than replaces it.

just my 2 cents

sianhan

SeedBay have verdant’s digiberry at the moment. Just bought some after reading through the blueberry trials thread. On at a very reasonable price too.

rolandomota

Veteran
I have noticed blueberry and Newberry smell like dried water paint the kind kids use to finger paint when it first dries
I'm after the flavor not the high and dj selects for high I want it to taste like blueberry and have high yield I don't care about the high most stuff (that includes everyones seeds) I think is weak as fuck and low yields with no flavor don't help at all

elanius

Veteran
a dried water paint ? :D Maybe you found weird pheno

I run 3 Newberry females last year, gave this bud to my GF and ask her for opinion.
"Blueberries and lavender" pretty spot on. Newberry was great smelling and much stronger than usual DJs offerings. This blueberry/lavender pheno was really great smoke as well.
picture.php

picture.php

Could be a fun project for down the road but at the moment I’m focused on locking down a blueberry keeper. Have to stay the course ;)

As far as blueberry goes.

I highly recomend you staying within DJ's catalog.

While outcrosses might bring out the blue flavor and the closest to it I have found is Blue bubba it was not blueberry. It was euphoric and I would ingest it and it was a lot more potent than blueberry but the quality of the high was different. It wasn't that magical effect blueberry properly selected has. The Blue bubba was proper primo AAA and well selected too.

Sour Bubble, being a Bubba kush derivative, will probably impart those qualities to the blueberry and while it might be euphoric and great in it's own right, I very highly doubt it will have that magic that well selected pure blueberry has. In effect you will be settling and convincing yourself you made the right choice in the end.

By accounts in this thread blueberry throws a keeper pheno in 1 in 20 females from the f5 stock. I've seen someone do the math for a 1 in 11 pheno and to be >99% sure you got it worked out to 40 seeds. So, to use fuzzy math, that is roughly a 4x multiplier. 4x20=80 female plants. Which means you need 160 seedlings to be 99% sure you find a 1 in 20 keeper. Which means you need 15 packs and at roughly 150 a pack means you need to be able to pony up over 2250 to be 99% sure you find a blueberry keeper from the f5 stock.:woohoo:

2250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:laughing:

Even then it is likely to be mutated and suffer from inbreeding depression so if you are lucky it wont be but if it is that meeds you need to cross it to restore vitality. Again if you are lucky crossing it with another keeper from a parralel line of dj's stock with restore the vitality.

2250+2250= 4500!!!!!!!!!

so 4500 to be >99% sure you have enough keepers directly from his stock to, ideally, reinvigorate the line.

That is the only way you can be >99% sure you have the goods to resurrect blueberry using seeds directly from DjShort shorts hands. It is a minimum 2250 investment to be over >99% sure.

On the other hand it has been claimed you can do it with a single plack if you open pollinate. Then again that means you need to pop enough seeds to run 80 females to be >99% sure if the 1 in 20 keeper pheno ratio remains consistent.

So anyone that has not ran 80 djshort f5 blueberry phenos doesn't really know if the fire is still in those seeds or not with >99% certainty.

It cost >2250 to be >99% sure.

Don't settle for a shit tier outcross either!

There's a reason all the outcrosses suck and that is because you need the perfect outcross specimen. Which means you need to create it specifically for the outcross and you need to have a good nose.

Don't undersestimate a good nose either.

Breeder steve with all his resources and special access granted to him by Djshort and exclusive elite clones produced mid grade garbage in his masterwork of Sweet tooth. With a boring muckied up high. Talk about betting on the wrong horse DJshort:biggrin:

OZZ_

Veteran
a dried water paint ? :D Maybe you found weird pheno

I run 3 Newberry females last year, gave this bud to my GF and ask her for opinion.
"Blueberries and lavender" pretty spot on. Newberry was great smelling and much stronger than usual DJs offerings. This blueberry/lavender pheno was really great smoke as well.
View Image
View Image

Elainus- beautiful once again!

Im trying to figure out what the lineage is on newberry. I know it’s a blue heaven x BB male.

However what line is Blue Heaven from? Is it a flo line?

OZZ_

Veteran
Schwinn- i think your math is a bit off, but I get your overall point.

Blue moonshine was a specific selection of blue berry, and they are releasing beans from the original blue moonshine female X the same Blue berry male. Blue moonshine was known to be one of the more potent phenos too.

Im highly anticipating that release I think it will up those odds tremendously. In the mean time I will work my way through the blueberry F5, newberry, and mosca Old time moonshine packs i have coming to get re-familiar with the line and see what shows up. Have a os l of flo coming too but that’s a different project all together.

I high suspect the magic will be found in that rerelease of blue moonshine X BB male.

OZZ_

Veteran
Tolerance has a lot to do with it one man's trash is another man's treasure

Agreed, I’m betting schwinn is burnt out on 30% OGs. Not that I disagree with everything he says, that’s why I’ve bought multiple packs to hunt through and will definitely be buying up that blue moonshine release. I’m certain I’ll find what I’m looking for.

Morphote

Veteran
As far as blueberry goes.

I highly recomend you staying within DJ's catalog.

While outcrosses might bring out the blue flavor and the closest to it I have found is Blue bubba it was not blueberry. It was euphoric and I would ingest it and it was a lot more potent than blueberry but the quality of the high was different. It wasn't that magical effect blueberry properly selected has. The Blue bubba was proper primo AAA and well selected too.

Sour Bubble, being a Bubba kush derivative, will probably impart those qualities to the blueberry and while it might be euphoric and great in it's own right, I very highly doubt it will have that magic that well selected pure blueberry has. In effect you will be settling and convincing yourself you made the right choice in the end.

By accounts in this thread blueberry throws a keeper pheno in 1 in 20 females from the f5 stock. I've seen someone do the math for a 1 in 11 pheno and to be >99% sure you got it worked out to 40 seeds. So, to use fuzzy math, that is roughly a 4x multiplier. 4x20=80 female plants. Which means you need 160 seedlings to be 99% sure you find a 1 in 20 keeper. Which means you need 15 packs and at roughly 150 a pack means you need to be able to pony up over 2250 to be 99% sure you find a blueberry keeper from the f5 stock.:woohoo:

2250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even then it is likely to be mutated and suffer from inbreeding depression so if you are lucky it wont be but if it is that meeds you need to cross it to restore vitality. Again if you are lucky crossing it with another keeper from a parralel line of dj's stock with restore the vitality.

2250+2250= 4500!!!!!!!!!

so 4500 to be >99% sure you have enough keepers directly from his stock to, ideally, reinvigorate the line.

That is the only way you can be >99% sure you have the goods to resurrect blueberry using seeds directly from DjShort shorts hands. It is a minimum 2250 investment to be over >99% sure.

On the other hand it has been claimed you can do it with a single plack if you open pollinate. Then again that means you need to pop enough seeds to run 80 females to be >99% sure if the 1 in 20 keeper pheno ratio remains consistent.

So anyone that has not ran 80 djshort f5 blueberry phenos doesn't really know if the fire is still in those seeds or not with >99% certainty.

It cost >2250 to be >99% sure.

Don't settle for a shit tier outcross either!

There's a reason all the outcrosses suck and that is because you need the perfect outcross specimen. Which means you need to create it specifically for the outcross and you need to have a good nose.

Don't undersestimate a good nose either.

Breeder steve with all his resources and special access granted to him by Djshort and exclusive elite clones produced mid grade garbage in his masterwork of Sweet tooth. With a boring muckied up high. Talk about betting on the wrong horse DJshort:biggrin:

A few things. First, Breeder Steve is/was not a breeder. And there were great phenos of Sweet Tooth that retained the euphoric BB high. DJ didn’t bet on him. DJ was/is a nice guy and hooked him up. Nothing to fault him for there.

All the outcrosses do not suck. That is why there are so many of them, and more being made. Blueberry imparts unique qualities to its progeny, some good, some bad, some excellent as science dictates.

Seeds directly from DJs hands cost $50 a pack. Recalculate.

DJ worked the line to F5 for the grower, meaning the plants—male and female— should be fairly homogeneous. The traits are locked. You don’t need several packs, like you would with F1s or F2s.

The fun of growing and breeding is the ability to select for personal preference. If you select for the traits you desire within the line, then you cannot be disappointed. Anyone can build their own BB once they have the building blocks from DJ.

Hence, OP, back cross to selected keeper female(s), or swim through the F2s (that are really F6s) looking for the female with the desired traits. Many plants will fall short, but with patience and selection it’s only a matter of time. Again, totally worth it.

M.

OZZ_

Veteran
A few things. First, Breeder Steve is/was not a breeder. And there were great phenos of Sweet Tooth that retained the euphoric BB high. DJ didn’t bet on him. DJ was/is a nice guy and hooked him up. Nothing to fault him for there.

All the outcrosses do not suck. That is why there are so many of them, and more being made. Blueberry imparts unique qualities to its progeny, some good, some bad, some excellent as science dictates.

DJ worked the line to F5 for the grower, meaning the plants—male and female— should be fairly homogeneous. The traits are locked. You don’t need several packs, like you would with F1s or F2s.

The fun of growing and breeding is the ability to select for personal preference. If you select for the traits you desire within the line, then you cannot be disappointed. Anyone can build their own BB once they have the building blocks from DJ.

Hence, OP, back cross to selected keeper female(s), or swim through the F2s (that are really F6s) looking for the female with the desired traits. Many plants will fall short, but with patience and selection it’s only a matter of time. Again, totally worth it.

M.

I appreciate all the insight from all sides of the matter and that’s exactly what I plan to do. Plus I’ll work through the old time moonshine (which is just a selected F5 blueberry pheno) I’m confident I’ll find what I’m looking for.

Do any of you know what the lineage of blue heaven is/was??

I tried a few different batches of blueberry over the years as the end user on the supply chain. Maybe 15 times of 'blueberry' and another 10 to 15 of hybrids make it 25 to 30 if I consider all the batches of blue dream.

The first few years 90's into the 2000's when I got blueberry it smelled like light colored hard woods, flowers and fresh blueberries, the buds were mottled with the color blue and the taste was just as equally as heavenly. I tried 5-10 batches of buds just like this and each time from different people. The high was like a spiritual cleansing. THAT'S THE KEEPER PHENO OF THE 90'S BLUEBERRY.

Then I only saw it in hybrids like bubble berry and sweet tooth #3. Sweet tooth sucked imo and Bubbleberry was great but not blueberry.

Then I only saw it in blue dream, while potent and gorgous and wonderfull smelling, had a garbage high that I hated worst than sweet tooth #3.

I'd randomly see it in other hybrids like blue wowie, blue crack, blue bubba, and blue cookies. Where only the blue bubba and blue cookies actually even carried the smell but it was different, it was candied and the smell was louder than the 90's stuff and the high was different and a lot stronger.

Once blue dream came around I started seeing "blueberry" again but it was never even close to blueberry from the 90's at all. Always the same situation too the person was super super proud to have the famous blueberry and they would tell me all the lore of DJ short or whatever and talk about sweet tooth #3 and blue dream being their favorite strains. They would talk about the nuances of the high and all that then I tried it and it was straight garbage and on one occasion the person claimed to have been handed the package of seeds by Dj short himself. The handed the package from dj short themselves nugs were pretty much the same as all the others.

If the person never tried the keepers from the 90's that were as I described then take their words with a grain of salt.

SS, I have no agenda, you can be sure of that. There is just an experience that I am trying to share. I clearly said how many seeds I bought

The reason I say, that you dont need 5 packs is, that almost all the Blueberries that I tried carried great euphoric effect, that is what I am saying from the start. But if you buy more packs, you have simply better chance to find something really special. I found one green totally sativa blueberry, with no color at all, that was extremely strong and lasting about 4 hours. She was unique phenotype, but the high missed that blissful element for me so didnt keepr her. Believe it or not, it was not easy to select a keeper as there were many great plants, I eventually kept 4 phenotypes for almost 2 years and made some crosses with them.

M.

The proof is in the pudding.

Trust me I want to believe you but I tried sweet tooth and it sucked period.

I've tried truly great blueberry crosses don't get me wrong but the high was different. As a blueberry fan I don't want to settle for that because it's not what I want from the blue lines.

The business model that is being pushed expects us to trust a brand that has been tarnished. I don't care how you justify it. It is just the situation. If you want to regain brand trust rather than build a little cult then I want to see third party testing.

What we have here in Ozz is what I am inclined to believe is third party testing. This is the opportunity to rebuild brand trust do not waist it!

Enstead of hooking him up with a 99% chance to find a keeper so he can do the third party testing and evaluate it against the keeper of blueberry from the 90's. All I am seeing is how you rationalize the price of seeds to the end user of the supply chain. That's bad business. It just makes me resent you for failing to put in an honest effort to regain my trust. You want me to believe you because you say so? Sorry, but no It's not going to happen without third party testing.

Enstead of the nonsense just give the man what he needs to prove it to us. If that takes him 12 runs from seed to find the keeper it takes him 12 runs from seeds. It is what it is and if it's in there then allow him to prove it to us. Because that's not what is happening it leads me to believe you even less. If it's in there then prove it!

I want to believe that it's in there but I want to see 50 seed packs for no more than 250 to the end user of the supply chain whether that be from dj's hands or a reseller. let Dj work that out between himself on the reseller. Do not expect us to join in on a pitty party for DJ as the end user get's screwed over and over and over. That's a terrible business model. Or just lose brand trust like has been happening for well over a decade so people can make inferior crosses to the original and take dj's market share of the profits. Then show us pretty pictures gloating over how amazing their personal stash is as people with medical conditions that do not have access to the goods have to consider mortgaging their house to be able to afford to even be able to see if it's there.

Stop just thinking about yourselves and think of the other guy for once!!

We do not trust him anymore so out of a token of goodwill put the goods in this man's hands free of charge so he can regain Dj's trust in all of our eyes. It's good business and he owes it to us.

Enstead of trying to sell less seeds for more sells more seeds for less. It's good business and builds faith in the brand.

What is happening on the ground level is a little cult built around dirt weed people claim is blueberry. The followers of the cult with their dirt weed could recite all of the lines from Dj short and the rest of the cult word for word. Like stupid little mantras to convince themselves their dirt weed is somehow magical. It's freaking disgusting is what it is. As an absolute lover of the real blueberry who truly needs it's healing powers for real medicinal needs I am deeply offended by it. I want my medicine I don't want to join freaking amway.

We want to trust dj short has the goods and is willing to grant us access to it without having to sell our mothers into slavery.

Latest posts

Latest posts