What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MY LITTLE SOG GOES 1000W

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
ah sweet man, thanks for sharing! yeah i'm still waiting to get any bagseed that germs, i've had about 10 or so from the odd bag here and there but they never seem to pop. you must wonder what the history of your strain is! would be great if it had ancestors in the hunter valley or qld, guess we'll never know, aussie enough :D

mind my asking what the 1000w sets you back on electricity a month if you know? i ask because i'm wanting to set up a 2 x 600w set up eventually and haven't been able to work out exactly how much it'd cost. think last time i looked into it, a 400w at 12/12 was about $3/week a to run. i may be way off... anyway hope you have a nice night mate!

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
ah sweet man, thanks for sharing! yeah i'm still waiting to get any bagseed that germs, i've had about 10 or so from the odd bag here and there but they never seem to pop. you must wonder what the history of your strain is! would be great if it had ancestors in the hunter valley or qld, guess we'll never know, aussie enough :D

mind my asking what the 1000w sets you back on electricity a month if you know? i ask because i'm wanting to set up a 2 x 600w set up eventually and haven't been able to work out exactly how much it'd cost. think last time i looked into it, a 400w at 12/12 was about $3/week a to run. i may be way off... anyway hope you have a nice night mate!

The strain I have is very indica dominant if not 100% I don't think it has aussie origins at all because sativa dominant strains appear to be the main ones here.

No idea what it costs to run 1000W. It's only been on for a week or so but so far I am quite impressed with its performance. No heat issues although this may prove to be a problem in summer and as I am not in a position to run an air cooled hood I may have to go back to 600W. We'll see what happens I guess.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah sounds good. i'm guessing you've got it in a fairly open space like a room as opposed to a closet or tent etc, accounting for no temp issues. i tried hooking up a 400w in my large closet and even with a fan directly on it temps got above 30C so had to put it away and go to CFL for now. anyway cheers for that mate, all the best

darwin

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
just wanted to throw this in...

a friend of mine was telling me that in order to "hurry" on a strain for finishing, you might want to consider playing with the length of photoperiod during flowering, although naturally, yeild will be affected.... here's a quote :)

after 4 weeks change to a 11/13 light schedule, then after 6 weeks go to 10/14, cut out all N after 5 weeks, just beast em with Pk weeks 6 and 7, flush for 1 week, chop after 8, that way you should be able to finish even a 10 week strain in 8, the 8-9 week strains will be done after 7.

edit - I should point out that I personally have NEVER tried this, although I do intend to on my next run (which I have to complete in 8 weeks from start as I mentioned before :) )

Last edited:
1000w at 12/12
1(kw)x12(hrs)x0.20(kw/h charge)x7(days) = $16.80 per week

2x600w
1.2x12x0.20x7 = $20.16 per week.

keep in mind that lamps/ballasts use more than they are rated at, and your kw/h charge could be different depending on your state, and if you are charged peak/off peak.
gives you an idea though.

highcountry your strains stout shape reminds me of wallyduck ducksfoot, if youve ever seen it.

High Country

Veteran
just wanted to throw this in...

a friend of mine was telling me that in order to "hurry" on a strain for finishing, you might want to consider playing with the length of photoperiod during flowering, although naturally, yeild will be affected.... here's a quote :)

edit - I should point out that I personally have NEVER tried this, although I do intend to on my next run (which I have to complete in 8 weeks from start as I mentioned before :) )

Interesting concept and I will follow your thread when it gets going. With the strain I have it's usually finished in 6 weeks with the standard 12/12 light regime. I don't want it any shorter than that.

I'm going to try and get this lot to go 7-8 weeks and I think it will be a struggle. The trichomes usually just say "that's it" at 6 weeks.

High Country

Veteran
1000w at 12/12

2x600w

keep in mind that lamps/ballasts use more than they are rated at, and your kw/h charge could be different depending on your state, and if you are charged peak/off peak.

highcountry your strains stout shape reminds me of wallyduck ducksfoot, if youve ever seen it.

Thank's onefiftyfour, that should help Darwinsbulldog on the costs of running the lamp. I don't worry about it.

I have never seen wallyduck ducksfoot although have heard of the name. I'll do some research on it.

I like my strain because it clones easily, no hermie tendency no matter how much you abuse it, grows short and stout, starts flowering if you look at it and think sex, finishes quickly and above all the typical indica full on couchlock I like.

Had it for 8 years and still remains my favourite. Spider mites have tried to kill it off but somehow I have always managed to resurrect it. It's a tough little lady.

Mind you it's bit of a mission keeping one strain going for so long. Maintaining mums, constantly cloning. I think I might struggle with a seed run, I'm too used to doing clones.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
Interesting concept and I will follow your thread when it gets going. With the strain I have it's usually finished in 6 weeks with the standard 12/12 light regime. I don't want it any shorter than that.

I'm going to try and get this lot to go 7-8 weeks and I think it will be a struggle. The trichomes usually just say "that's it" at 6 weeks.

ahha I see :)

You're actually trying to extend the period, not shorten it... thats novel :D

I think it's good to try and tweak these things from time to time. .. that's not to say everything we try will work, but if we don't try how will we ever find out :)

High Country

Veteran
DAY 4 OF 12/12

DAY 4 OF 12/12

Just a quick update on how the girls look 4 days into 12/12.

MULTIPLE COLAS ON EACH PLANT

picture.php

THEY MIGHT ALL JUST FORM ONE GIANT BUD

picture.php

If I was doing a normal single cola style SOG I would trim all the lateral growth and use them for clones. Not this time, they are staying on and developing to their full potential.

First white pistils should start appearing soon.

High Country

Veteran
1000w at 12/12

2x600w

Lot's of imformation about this strain out there. Interesting, I'm still going through it all.

High Country

Veteran
u should try topping it a few more times and see how big u can get em

I think I've topped them enough, I don't want them getting too big on me. They are on 12/12 and I normally don't top during this light regime.

The stretch is about to begin. Let's see if they can go longer than their normal 6 weeks.

High Country

Veteran
Part of this project was to create a bunch of new mother plants after the ones I had were culled due to a spider mite infestation that got out of hand. So here are 16 of them.

SHOWING THEIR TYPICAL INDICA TRAITS, SHORT, STOUT, FAT LEAVES, VERY CLOSE NODE SPACING

picture.php

Some have been FIMMED, some just topped. They are under a 430W Phillips Son -T- Agro, 18/6. A few dodgy looking leaves but over all they are fine and growing rapidly in a pretty standard potting mix fed with Seasol seaweed extract.

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
should be a serious grow highcountry, they start stretching i see also good secondary stem, sure increment in positive the final weight, i think no take longer then one week more then normal, your thread is always much appreciate man .. i'll be watching the progress for sure, i think my next time i spend more time for veg. and topped and see what happen...great +++ for the good job man!!!

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
such a bushy strain you got there high country. hope the mothers grow up quick and you have no more issues with mites!

AfroSheep

I am who I am coz I is who I is.
i think you should try stretching it out to 8 weeks they usually just have a massive bulk stage in that extra week., well hopefully.

High Country

Veteran
HERE WE GO AGAIN

HERE WE GO AGAIN

6 DAYS INTO 12/12 AND THE GIRLS ARE SHOWING THEIR SEX ALREADY. PISTILS COMING OUT ON ALL 16 PLANTS. RANDY LITTLE THINGS AREN'T THEY

picture.php

Andyo

Veteran
Interested to see under that lamp

Interested to see under that lamp

Im pretty sure the lamp your using is the sylvania version LU 1000 Plantastar .
Ive wanted to test this lamp for a while but im in thailand not availble here.
Im doing ebb/flow in hydroton so i can watch how it performs for you .
A little bit of info theres a MH lamp that runs on the S52 ballast that you have its the Osram HQI-T 1000W/D 7.2 K I use them for veg very good lamp ,tho the lamp holder is e40 size and you may have the mogul fitting.A

Last edited:

High Country

Veteran
Im pretty sure the lamp your using is the sylvania version LU 1000 Plantastar .
Ive wanted to test this lamp for a while but im in thailand not availble here.
Im doing ebb/flow in hydroton so i can watch how it performs for you .
A little bit of info theres a MH lamp that runs on the S52 ballast that you have its the Osram HQI-T 1000W/D 7.2 K I use them for veg very good lamp ,tho the lamp holder is e40 size and you may have the mogul fitting.A

I've still got the packaging and there is no mention of Plantastar only LU 1000 GRO. That MH sounds interesting and I'll check it out.

High Country

Veteran
should be a serious grow highcountry, they start stretching i see also good secondary stem, sure increment in positive the final weight, i think no take longer then one week more then normal, your thread is always much appreciate man .. i'll be watching the progress for sure, i think my next time i spend more time for veg. and topped and see what happen...great +++ for the good job man!!!

Thanks killerweed, may all your grows be good grows. The big advantage of putting in 1/2 the number of clones in this space is you don't have to produce as many clones for a full on SOG, 4 per sq/ft.

So that's why I'm trying this. Cloning gets a bit tedious after a while. I've never tried FIM before so that should be interesting.

Latest posts

Latest posts